Does Wii U outsell Gamecube lifetime sales? How does it affect Future Console?

#11HeroC114Posted 4/9/2014 12:55:40 PM
caffeinepirate posted...
Nintendo has already announced the QOL machine that should hit the market next year. That's a Plan B if I've ever heard one.

In before "but Nintendo said the QOL won't replace home video game consoles." Of course they would say that. PR 101: never say anything pessimistic about your company, even if it's true.

They also said the DS was a third pillar to the Gameboy and GameCube. Where's the Gameboy now?
---
Xbox Live GT: Hero C
NNID: HeroC114
#12AhnoldDoodPosted 4/9/2014 12:56:58 PM
Inferno_21 posted...
Not outselling the Gamecube means it is the worst performing Console in the companies History.

Second to the Virtual Boy, which, lo and behold, they SURVIVED.

So how is it that the company and investors would want to make a new console if they failed in market with their last one?

This same dipstick phrase was used when the N64, the Gamecube, and yes, the Virtual Boy did not meet expectations. Guess what, kid? They're still here.
#13Beatperson14Posted 4/9/2014 12:57:22 PM
caffeinepirate posted...
Nintendo has already announced the QOL machine that should hit the market next year. That's a Plan B if I've ever heard one.

In before "but Nintendo said the QOL won't replace home video game consoles." Of course they would say that. PR 101: never say anything pessimistic about your company, even if it's true.

---
A bit of the old... Ultra-violence
#14MilesTeg420Posted 4/9/2014 12:59:05 PM
They will try to innovate the control input method yet again, or some other new gimmick.

Is it a wise idea? Not sure. Iwata certainly feels like Nintendo can't compete in any other way.

But, one thing is for certain, it needs to be profitable day one, and have big software people want to play. It doesn't need to be super powerful, but it does need to be easy to develop for.

Has Iwata learned any lessons? Tough to say.

If he really wants to kill Nintendo's home consoles forever, he will make the console download only (they sure love those digital sales...) completely removing all signs of Nintendo at retail, and even though the console is DD only, it will still be lacking in pretty much every online aspect and Iwata won't see the problem.
#15Inferno_21(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2014 1:01:52 PM(edited)
AhnoldDood posted...
Inferno_21 posted...
Not outselling the Gamecube means it is the worst performing Console in the companies History.

Second to the Virtual Boy, which, lo and behold, they SURVIVED.

So how is it that the company and investors would want to make a new console if they failed in market with their last one?

This same dipstick phrase was used when the N64, the Gamecube, and yes, the Virtual Boy did not meet expectations. Guess what, kid? They're still here.

Virtual Boy was released when Nintendo dominated the market with SNES and Gameboy, so their losses on Virtual Boy were probably a little scratch on the hand for Nintendo. This is 2014 and last I read 3DS is not pulling in Gameboy/GBA numbers to make up for the short comings of their console. Again N64 and Gamecube were selling better in same period of time of their life then Wii U. So how exactly is it Nintendo does not need to be worried about their console sales?
---
MGS4 = Best Game this Generation
#16AhnoldDoodPosted 4/9/2014 1:02:24 PM
Inferno_21 posted...
Virtual Boy was released when Nintendo dominated the market with SNES and Gameboy Color, so their losses on Virtual Boy were probably a little scratch on the hand for Nintendo.

But following on the heels of the goddamn Wii, DS, and 3DS means nothing?

This is 2014 and last I read 3DS is not pulling in Gameboy/GBA numbers to make up for the short comings of their console.

ITP: Not selling as much as the best/second best selling gaming system spells total failure for the company.

Oh no! Its not going to sell 100 million in the end! It'll only sell, like, 80 million!
#17caffeinepiratePosted 4/9/2014 1:06:18 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
caffeinepirate posted...

Seems you have no goddamn clue how PR works, since if it was replacing consoles, they would hhave said so, because they have no reason not to.

You think it would be a good idea for them to admit that home console sales aren't going well so they are going to throw in the towel after the Wii U? Really? I'm sure that would make consumer confidence soar through the roof, haha.

This is getting too funny.
#18Inferno_21(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2014 1:07:16 PM
Virtual Boy argument still makes no sense. it was an experiment and #3 behind the main Console and Handheld, where BOTH were successful. Wii U is the main Console with 3DS on market right now. Yes 3DS is selling, but Wii U is doing so bad it is making Nintendo post quarterly losses. When Nintendo slashes forcast of Wii U sales from 9 million to 2 million, I think that is saying something.
---
MGS4 = Best Game this Generation
#19AhnoldDoodPosted 4/9/2014 1:08:57 PM
caffeinepirate posted...
You think it would be a good idea for them to admit that home console sales aren't going well so they are going to throw in the towel after the Wii U? Really? I'm sure that would make consumer confidence soar through the roof, haha..

"Derp, they won't say that it'll replace the home consoles, its bad PR! They'll just tell us its a new system coming next year! See? Totally different."
#20AhnoldDoodPosted 4/9/2014 1:11:28 PM
Inferno_21 posted...
it was an experiment and #3 behind the main Console and Handheld, where BOTH were successful.

And the Virtual Boy still sold awfully. And you seriously implying that they weren't expecting otherwise?

Yes 3DS is selling, but Wii U is doing so bad it is making Nintendo post quarterly losses.

Losses that are only significant because it was the first time they done it. Well, the 3DS post losses first, and lo and behold, it turned back around.

The losses won't impede Nintendo's billions of dollars.

When Nintendo slashes forcast of Wii U sales from 9 million to 2 million, I think that is saying something.

Its saying they don't expect it to make X amount of sales in X amount of time. Or do you think those are LIFETIME estimates?