Is Metroid a FPS?

#91Waggy17Posted 4/10/2014 11:45:15 AM
Rasputin77 posted...
Which one?

That one?

You may want to try including a bit more info for context next time.
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg
#92RS_YELARAKA(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 11:50:32 AM
HermeticJustice posted...
bluya posted...
LOL its an fps drones won't admit they like an fps LOL

why does Goldeneye 007 get so much praise then?

Double standards, James Bond apparently gets a free pass from Nintendo gamers. Just like Perfect Dark, Conduit, and any other FPS that's ever been successful on nintendo. But by golly name a shooter that's successful on the other consoles and "pew pew dudebro".

Why nintendroids won't admit Metroid being called FPA is comical is beyond me. Maybe because its still the only FPS Exclusive for nintendo worth a ****? No idea why the term FPS gets Nintendo gamers all into a panick attack...
---
GT - YELARAKA (Member of RS Squad) www.twitch.tv/yelaraka
Currently playing - BF4, PvZ:GW, TitanFall, Rayman Legends, PowerStarGolf
#93MatelitePosted 4/10/2014 11:50:32 AM
I mean, it's a first person game where you shoot things, yes. But no, it's not a traditional FPS. It's FPA. You don't have to worry about things like ammo.
---
HEH HEH HEH
#94RatheVPosted 4/10/2014 12:22:57 PM
Matelite posted...
I mean, it's a first person game where you shoot things, yes. But no, it's not a traditional FPS. It's FPA. You don't have to worry about things like ammo.

So lack of ammo makes it not an FPS? But you do have missile ammo, and ammo for certain special weapons.

So then, exploration makes it not an FPS?

Panner posted...
No one is saying they suck, but what makes them an FPS to you when shooting your gun is not the main focus?

It isn't? Funny, I remember using that gun to solve all the puzzles, and kill the enemies that are in just about every room of the game, and respawn constantly. I recall gaining several expansions for my gun, including new beams, the ability to charge, and missile expansions.

Hell, speaking of missile expansions, they're one of the primary motivations for exploration - you explore the landscape so you can find power-ups to increase your combat abilities - how can you claim that the shooting isn't an integral part of the experience? When you claim that shooting your gun is not a main focus, you make it sound almost as if the planet you're exploring isn't overrun with huge alien creatures that very much want you dead.

And I hear you already "But the morph balls! The power bomb! The grapple hook! It can't be an FPS because you sometimes do things other than shoot!"

This is gonna blow your goddamn minds, but most shooters have, at the least, grenades and vehicles. Many of them have special powers you can activate that have nothing to do with pulling the trigger. I guess Halo and Bioshock aren't FPSs either.
#95MatelitePosted 4/10/2014 12:28:20 PM
RatheV posted...
Matelite posted...

So lack of ammo makes it not an FPS? But you do have missile ammo, and ammo for certain special weapons.

So then, exploration makes it not an FPS?

With Missiles, yes, there is ammo. But with just a regular beam, there's none. In most FPS games, you could be in a situation where you run out of ammo. Not in Metroid Prime.

What other FPS games have you seen similar to any of the Metroid Prime games in large worlds that emphasize exploration? It's more like Zelda OoT than anything else, especially with the Z-Targeting/Lock on feature. Like I said, in a literal sense, it's FPS. But the team themselves said they set out to make a game that wasn't a traditional FPS game and put more emphasis on exploring than on shooting skill.
---
HEH HEH HEH
#96Yelnam-26Posted 4/10/2014 1:34:11 PM
i would say Metroid prime is an FPS but its definitely not your traditional FPS.
---
Smoke me a kipper, Ill be back for breakfast.
3DS XL FC: 1005 - 8990 - 2929 Name: Yelnam
#97Yelnam-26Posted 4/10/2014 1:36:02 PM
RS_YELARAKA posted...
HermeticJustice posted...
bluya posted...
LOL its an fps drones won't admit they like an fps LOL

why does Goldeneye 007 get so much praise then?

Double standards, James Bond apparently gets a free pass from Nintendo gamers. Just like Perfect Dark, Conduit, and any other FPS that's ever been successful on nintendo. But by golly name a shooter that's successful on the other consoles and "pew pew dudebro".

Why nintendroids won't admit Metroid being called FPA is comical is beyond me. Maybe because its still the only FPS Exclusive for nintendo worth a ****? No idea why the term FPS gets Nintendo gamers all into a panick attack...

That's it. Group all the Nintendo fans together.
---
Smoke me a kipper, Ill be back for breakfast.
3DS XL FC: 1005 - 8990 - 2929 Name: Yelnam
#98AvirosbPosted 4/10/2014 1:42:09 PM
It's an Action/Adventure FPS.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.