Let's talk about the lack of Virtual Console games on the Wii U

#21georgethecow4Posted 4/12/2014 5:41:19 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I love the VC concept. "Old" games are just as good today as they use to be, and since I was a kid when GBA was big I've absolutely loved them being available.

That being said, they're handling it terribly. I can't blame the lack of third-party consoles on them because that's not entirely on them, but they should step up the releases quite a bit. Also the sales. Remember the awesome weekly sales when the Wii U VC first started? B2G1 Kirby and the MMX/G&G deal? And then it just stopped. Hopefully at E3 they announce that they're really stepping up their VC game.
---
3DS FC: 3136-6598-7067 Name: Andrew
#22Nin3DSFanPosted 4/13/2014 8:50:58 AM(edited)
I was looking at the Wii VC releases for Japan, and apparently, on its first day, December 2, 2006, a whopping 38 titles were released, on just that one day. After that, it took until the end of February 2007 until a further 38 were released. And for every date that there was at least 1 VC title released, the average number of VC titles released in Japan on the Wii VC on any of those dates, was 2.6 -- that's from December 2, 2006 - April 9, 2013. However, if you include weeks that didn't have any releases...

There have been a total of 675 VC titles, released in a period of 2320 days. This, when divided by 7, is equal to 331 weeks (331 weeks and 3 days to be exact), therefore, dividing 675 by 331 gives us an average of 2.04. This means in Japan, every single week since December 2, 2006 until the very last VC title on April 9, 2013 (that is every 7 days, from December 2, 2006), there were on average 2 titles released.

If you compare this to, for example, the Wii U VC in North America, it'll probably turn out to be less than 1, or in otherwords, 1 release on average in more than 1 week.
---
So, we've now had four trailers for Mario Kart 8. E3 2013, 2 Directs, and a more recent trailer, with essentially 30 tracks confirmed. Now, what about the rest?
#23EoinPosted 4/13/2014 9:29:22 AM
Prince Shondronai posted...
Trickling out the titles probably maximizes the number of people who buy each one, because with limited options comes settling for what you can get.

When releases are so irregular, maximising sales for each individual release provides less of a return than regular releases, even when the regular releases have to compete with each other. The regular releases also mean happier customers who are more inclined to habitually check the eShop (and hence are more likely to learn about games they didn't know about, and purchase them).

I'm also unconvinced that people are grudgingly buying from a small selection because they have "limited options". I'm sure there's a few people that fall into that category, but I think most people's options will include XBLA and/or PSN and/or Steam and/or at least one mobile-based app store.
#24Groudon199Posted 4/13/2014 9:32:37 AM
Personally, I don't care how many they release. Aside from anything GBA that might come out, I have every Virtual Console game I could want.