Nintendo in 2012: Cut off all support of the Wii and make everyone buy a Wii U!

#21VanderZooPosted 4/12/2014 7:20:31 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Solis posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
squatch22 posted...
Just like all previous consoles...

Fix'd

How do you "fix" something by making it incorrect?

All consoles have a plan in place to stop support eventually when the new one comes out. It's 100% correct.

Not Sony, Sony does a great job supporting their consoles long after the new one comes out. 10 year life cycle. MS is also supporting the 360 well.
#22VanderZooPosted 4/12/2014 7:31:10 PM
DorotimusWitik posted...
ZatchBell posted...
PS3 and Xbox 360 are going to outlive the wii by several years and may even eventually outsell or match the wii's 100 million units sold. I think Nintendo dropped support of wii prematurely.

Considering that the Wii was mostly old tech when it came out, it lasted more than long enough. It's just a shame Nintendo mistook the success of the Wii to mean that an out of phase console is a guaranteed money maker.

Anyway, while the Wii may not be getting games anymore, it's not like Sony and Microsoft are the ones providing new games for their respective last gen consoles either. It's mostly third parties that are still supporting the consoles.

That's not true, last year SCE made The Last of Us, Puppeteer, God of War ascension, MLB 13 The Show, Sly Cooper and Gran Turismo 6 for PS3. And they also published a lot of games like Beyond Two Souls and Ratchet and clank.
#23ss4gogeta_darkPosted 4/12/2014 7:48:33 PM
Solis posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
squatch22 posted...

Fix'd

Because it's true. Microsoft cut off the original xbox fairly quick. Some games worked on 360 online, but that died too. PS2 however got support long into PS3 life time. I feel that hurt sony more than they expected it. Why buy a PS3 when a PS2 version was still released?
---
FX 8150 @ 4.4ghz|MSI 7970 Lightning 1225/1700|MSI 990fxa-gd80|G.skill 1866mhz| W8prox64
FCs in contacts. NNID Heroxoot
#24IzraeilPosted 4/12/2014 8:01:44 PM
Waggy17 posted...
ZatchBell posted...
PS3 and Xbox 360 are going to outlive the wii by several years and may even eventually outsell or match the wii's 100 million units sold. I think Nintendo dropped support of wii prematurely.

I highly doubt that either console will reach your sales prediction.

PS2 was at just over a 100 when PS3 came out and it finished at well over 150. PS3 was I think around 81 when PS4 launched, and right now is over 84, it will at worst cross a 100, and will very likely pass PS1 sales.
#25n00bsaib0tPosted 4/12/2014 8:08:13 PM
VanderZoo posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Solis posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
squatch22 posted...

Fix'd

All consoles have a plan in place to stop support eventually when the new one comes out. It's 100% correct.

Not Sony, Sony does a great job supporting their consoles long after the new one comes out. 10 year life cycle. MS is also supporting the 360 well.

Nintendo supported the Wii for a good while after the WiiU launched. The online currently still works even. It's 1000x more support than Xbox saw from Microsoft after the 360 launched. And it's not really fair to say the 360 is still supported right now, has the bone even been out 6 months yet? And Sony... How's the PSP doing again? Dead before the Vita launched you say... Interesting.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#26n00bsaib0tPosted 4/12/2014 8:09:05 PM
Solis posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Solis posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
squatch22 posted...

Fix'd

"Eventually" does not mean "The same year the new console releases". Many consoles have had continued support for years after a new one is released. It's absolutely deceptive to suggest that no system receives support after a new platform is launched.

I never said that. You have to be illiterate to think I did. Right now the Wii still gets support. What's your point?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#27SolisPosted 4/12/2014 9:02:35 PM
ss4gogeta_dark posted...
Because it's true. Microsoft cut off the original xbox fairly quick. Some games worked on 360 online, but that died too. PS2 however got support long into PS3 life time. I feel that hurt sony more than they expected it. Why buy a PS3 when a PS2 version was still released?

Nintendo cut off the Wii much faster in relation to the launch of its successor than Microsoft did the Xbox, both in game and online support, and Microsoft has still released games on the Xbox 360 after the Xbox One came out.

n00bsaib0t posted...
Nintendo supported the Wii for a good while after the WiiU launched. The online currently still works even. It's 1000x more support than Xbox saw from Microsoft after the 360 launched. And it's not really fair to say the 360 is still supported right now, has the bone even been out 6 months yet? And Sony... How's the PSP doing again? Dead before the Vita launched you say... Interesting.

Uhh, what? The last new Wii game Nintendo released came out over 6 months before the Wii U launched. Microsoft released its last Xbox game only 2 months before the Xbox 360 launched. The online for original Xbox games worked for over 5 years after the Xbox 360 was released, support for the Wii's online is being cut off before the Wii U is even 2 years old (with many of its online features having been discontinued long before that).

If you consider Nintendo's support for the Wii to last for a "good while" after the Wii U launched, then Microsoft supported the Xbox for a SPECTACULARLY long time in relation to the Xbox 360's release.

n00bsaib0t posted...
I never said that. You have to be illiterate to think I did. Right now the Wii still gets support. What's your point?

Your idea of support is having no new games made for it for almost 2 years and having its online shut down next month?
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#28LightHawKnightPosted 4/12/2014 9:04:38 PM
So what people are saying is that MS and Sony plan on hindering the sales for the PS4 and X1 to hope for their old gen systems to sell more?
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#29Waggy17Posted 4/12/2014 9:08:22 PM(edited)
Izraeil posted...
Waggy17 posted...
ZatchBell posted...

I highly doubt that either console will reach your sales prediction.

PS2 was at just over a 100 when PS3 came out and it finished at well over 150. PS3 was I think around 81 when PS4 launched, and right now is over 84, it will at worst cross a 100, and will very likely pass PS1 sales.

You may want to rethink comparing the PS3 to the best console in sales, because there is a huge difference between the two.

The PS2 sold close to 15 million units in 2007 and 2008. That's each year, not over both years, and those aren't even the best years for that console (coincidentally, 15 million in a year is pretty much the PS3's peak). The PS3 is just simply not going to be able to put up those numbers. Historically, at this stage of a console's life, its sales numbers will continue to decline year over year (which was the case for the PS2 even in those aforementioned years), and the PS3 sold about 8 million last year. That's certainly not bad, but with the way the console is tracking so far this year, it will not reach 8 million again. Its sales will continue to decline, and it very well may not reach 100 million. If you think a price drop well somehow drastically improve its sales, you're mistaken, and it would be a first at this stage in the console lifecycle.

Perhaps the PS3 will pull in two more years of 8 million sales, and it will be just at 100 million, but I doubt it.
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg
#30Waggy17Posted 4/12/2014 9:17:51 PM
I will say this though: after looking at yearly trends for consoles, the Wii U definitely isn't tracking well at all. At the end of the day, sales don't matter if you're happy with the system, but wow, just comparing the Wii U to other consoles makes it look abysmal (same goes for Vita). The kings of yearly sales: DS, PS2, and Wii
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg