Nintendo in 2012: Cut off all support of the Wii and make everyone buy a Wii U!

#31googlerPosted 4/12/2014 11:31:43 PM
Wii sales are pretty much done with and the games aren't selling anymore but to drop support would piss people off more than anything. If they saw a reason to buy a Wii U then they would have already. Forcing them into its will not work
#32IzraeilPosted 4/13/2014 2:13:19 AM
Waggy17 posted...
Izraeil posted...
Waggy17 posted...
ZatchBell posted...
PS3 and Xbox 360 are going to outlive the wii by several years and may even eventually outsell or match the wii's 100 million units sold. I think Nintendo dropped support of wii prematurely.

I highly doubt that either console will reach your sales prediction.

PS2 was at just over a 100 when PS3 came out and it finished at well over 150. PS3 was I think around 81 when PS4 launched, and right now is over 84, it will at worst cross a 100, and will very likely pass PS1 sales.

You may want to rethink comparing the PS3 to the best console in sales, because there is a huge difference between the two.

The PS2 sold close to 15 million units in 2007 and 2008. That's each year, not over both years, and those aren't even the best years for that console (coincidentally, 15 million in a year is pretty much the PS3's peak). The PS3 is just simply not going to be able to put up those numbers. Historically, at this stage of a console's life, its sales numbers will continue to decline year over year (which was the case for the PS2 even in those aforementioned years), and the PS3 sold about 8 million last year. That's certainly not bad, but with the way the console is tracking so far this year, it will not reach 8 million again. Its sales will continue to decline, and it very well may not reach 100 million. If you think a price drop well somehow drastically improve its sales, you're mistaken, and it would be a first at this stage in the console lifecycle.

Perhaps the PS3 will pull in two more years of 8 million sales, and it will be just at 100 million, but I doubt it.

I'm not comparing it to PS2, I was providing perspective:
PS2 sales when PS3 launched were around 105million. (about 6.5 years on the market)
PS3 sales when PS4 launched were around 81 million. (7 years on the market)

So PS3 is tracking with about 77% of PS2 numbers so far. If that ratio was to hold the same way PS3 would finish at over 115 million units. PS3 sales would have to decline by around 75% from how it's tracked for the past 7 years to fail in reaching 100 Million.

Once again I was not comparing PS3 to PS2 and don't expect it to go anywhere close to PS2 numbers. But I think you're underestimating how much a console can sell in these later years once those big price drops hit, PS3 is still selling for $269-300, PS2 at this stage was $139. Once Sony get's the PS3 under $200 it's going to see some dramatic sales in a lot of countries where it still isn't affordable.
#33HermeticJusticePosted 4/13/2014 2:17:33 AM
squatch22 posted...
Just like with all their previous consoles...

reason why the US never got some good games
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#34Waggy17Posted 4/13/2014 6:40:07 AM
Izraeil posted...
Waggy17 posted...
Izraeil posted...
Waggy17 posted...
ZatchBell posted...
PS3 and Xbox 360 are going to outlive the wii by several years and may even eventually outsell or match the wii's 100 million units sold. I think Nintendo dropped support of wii prematurely.

I highly doubt that either console will reach your sales prediction.

PS2 was at just over a 100 when PS3 came out and it finished at well over 150. PS3 was I think around 81 when PS4 launched, and right now is over 84, it will at worst cross a 100, and will very likely pass PS1 sales.

You may want to rethink comparing the PS3 to the best console in sales, because there is a huge difference between the two.

The PS2 sold close to 15 million units in 2007 and 2008. That's each year, not over both years, and those aren't even the best years for that console (coincidentally, 15 million in a year is pretty much the PS3's peak). The PS3 is just simply not going to be able to put up those numbers. Historically, at this stage of a console's life, its sales numbers will continue to decline year over year (which was the case for the PS2 even in those aforementioned years), and the PS3 sold about 8 million last year. That's certainly not bad, but with the way the console is tracking so far this year, it will not reach 8 million again. Its sales will continue to decline, and it very well may not reach 100 million. If you think a price drop well somehow drastically improve its sales, you're mistaken, and it would be a first at this stage in the console lifecycle.

Perhaps the PS3 will pull in two more years of 8 million sales, and it will be just at 100 million, but I doubt it.

I'm not comparing it to PS2, I was providing perspective:
PS2 sales when PS3 launched were around 105million. (about 6.5 years on the market)
PS3 sales when PS4 launched were around 81 million. (7 years on the market)

So PS3 is tracking with about 77% of PS2 numbers so far. If that ratio was to hold the same way PS3 would finish at over 115 million units. PS3 sales would have to decline by around 75% from how it's tracked for the past 7 years to fail in reaching 100 Million.

Once again I was not comparing PS3 to PS2 and don't expect it to go anywhere close to PS2 numbers. But I think you're underestimating how much a console can sell in these later years once those big price drops hit, PS3 is still selling for $269-300, PS2 at this stage was $139. Once Sony get's the PS3 under $200 it's going to see some dramatic sales in a lot of countries where it still isn't affordable.

Again, you're expecting the PS3 to perform in a way that is atypical. And yes, you were comparing the two consoles, despite your attempt to spin it otherwise.

You may want to look at a sales chart showing actual sales figures and how they compare year over year instead of calculating percentages.

As far as price of consoles, you haven't factored inflation.

If we're looking at the PS2 for comparison, or for perspective, then the PS3 sales figures will continue to drop. If we also look at how PS3 is tracking for the year, we won't expect any more 8 million sales years.
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg
#35Nin3DSFanPosted 4/13/2014 7:32:19 AM
Everyone knows that Sony continues support for PlayStation consoles long after their successors have been released (both in terms of the actual manufacturing of the systems themselves, and in terms of games being developed for that system).

Infact, support is so long after a successor that support for one system can last up to almost the same time that not the successor, but the 2nd successor is released.

For example:
PlayStation launched on December 3, 1994 - the last game ever released on this console was Schnappi: 3 Fun-Games on March 1, 2005. The console was discontinued on March 23, 2006.

PlayStation 2 launched on March 3, 2000 - the last game ever released on this console was Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 on November 8, 2013. The console was discontinued on December 28, 2012 in Japan, and January 4, 2013 in North America.

PlayStation 3 launched on November 11, 2006 - and is no where near the end of its life

PlayStation 4 launched on November 15, 2013.

As you can clearly see, the PlayStation was still supported just over a year after the last game was released, and lasted only a few months before the successor to its own successor was released. The PlayStation 2 however, was the opposite. Its last ever game was released almost a year after it was discontinued, and the last PS2 game was released after the PS4 was released. In otherwords, the PS2 had games for so long, that it was still having games after the PS3, and even just went past the release of the PS4. Therefore, if they continue this, the PlayStation 3 will most definitely still have games and support after the inevitable PlayStation 5 is released, and yes, it's definitely going to be called the PlayStation 5, because Sony has 0% originality when they name their consoles.
---
So, we've now had four trailers for Mario Kart 8. E3 2013, 2 Directs, and a more recent trailer, with essentially 30 tracks confirmed. Now, what about the rest?
#36Waggy17Posted 4/13/2014 7:46:10 AM
Nin3DSFan posted...
Everyone knows that Sony continues support for PlayStation consoles long after their successors have been released (both in terms of the actual manufacturing of the systems themselves, and in terms of games being developed for that system).

Infact, support is so long after a successor that support for one system can last up to almost the same time that not the successor, but the 2nd successor is released.

For example:
PlayStation launched on December 3, 1994 - the last game ever released on this console was Schnappi: 3 Fun-Games on March 1, 2005. The console was discontinued on March 23, 2006.

PlayStation 2 launched on March 3, 2000 - the last game ever released on this console was Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 on November 8, 2013. The console was discontinued on December 28, 2012 in Japan, and January 4, 2013 in North America.

PlayStation 3 launched on November 11, 2006 - and is no where near the end of its life

PlayStation 4 launched on November 15, 2013.

As you can clearly see, the PlayStation was still supported just over a year after the last game was released, and lasted only a few months before the successor to its own successor was released. The PlayStation 2 however, was the opposite. Its last ever game was released almost a year after it was discontinued, and the last PS2 game was released after the PS4 was released. In otherwords, the PS2 had games for so long, that it was still having games after the PS3, and even just went past the release of the PS4. Therefore, if they continue this, the PlayStation 3 will most definitely still have games and support after the inevitable PlayStation 5 is released, and yes, it's definitely going to be called the PlayStation 5, because Sony has 0% originality when they name their consoles.

No one is disputing that or making any claims to the contrary
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777
#37MilesTeg420Posted 4/13/2014 7:49:13 AM
Just because EA releases a reskined sports game on old Sony consoles years after a new one comes out does not mean Sony is still supporting the console. By that logic Nintendo is still supporting Wii because Just Dance comes out every year.

PS3 hardware still isn't very profitable, so it's questionable how long Sony really wants to sell the console. The PS4 is only $200 more than PS3 (w/o HDD), and due to it's components, will be much more profitable long term. With such a long generation, it's questionable how many more units PS3 can sell, especially if Sony can't drop the price and still make money on every sale.

Aside from MLB The Show, Sony has probably released their last PS3 game pretty much. That's not to say Sony didn't do a good job. They did. They actually went too far with Beyond and GT6. After a 7 year Sony generation they should have known that PS3 software was about to fall off a cliff and moved those games to PS4, or at the very least, release on both consoles simultaneously.
#38Jedi454(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 7:49:56 AM
DorotimusWitik posted...
ZatchBell posted...

Considering that the Wii was mostly old tech when it came out, it lasted more than long enough. It's just a shame Nintendo mistook the success of the Wii to mean that an out of phase console is a guaranteed money maker.

Anyway, while the Wii may not be getting games anymore, it's not like Sony and Microsoft are the ones providing new games for their respective last gen consoles either. It's mostly third parties that are still supporting the consoles.

You've missed the point completely. Third party support is still support. Not everyone can afford to go out and buy a new console just because their console has got support dropped on it.
---
Get Good Kid.
#39n00bsaib0tPosted 4/13/2014 8:06:45 AM
Jedi454 posted...
DorotimusWitik posted...
ZatchBell posted...

Considering that the Wii was mostly old tech when it came out, it lasted more than long enough. It's just a shame Nintendo mistook the success of the Wii to mean that an out of phase console is a guaranteed money maker.

Anyway, while the Wii may not be getting games anymore, it's not like Sony and Microsoft are the ones providing new games for their respective last gen consoles either. It's mostly third parties that are still supporting the consoles.

You've missed the point completely. Third party support is still support. Not everyone can afford to go out and buy a new console just because their console has got support dropped on it.

I guess this is the time to bring up that gaming is a hobby and not a necessity. If you can't afford it then it might be time to find a new hobby.

But if you consider crappy downgraded ports of sports games "support" then sure, Sony systems are supported for 5 years after we consider them dead. Hell only on this board would anyone be stupid enough to say the PS2 had proper support and worthwhile games after 2009 if not sooner.

And Sony supported the PSP about as well as Nintendo is supporting the Wii. Arguably worse. The PSP has been a dead console for a couple years now but let's ignore that and bring up horrible sports ports that no one bought.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#40Waggy17Posted 4/13/2014 8:35:35 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Just because EA releases a reskined sports game on old Sony consoles years after a new one comes out does not mean Sony is still supporting the console. By that logic Nintendo is still supporting Wii because Just Dance comes out every year.

PS3 hardware still isn't very profitable, so it's questionable how long Sony really wants to sell the console. The PS4 is only $200 more than PS3 (w/o HDD), and due to it's components, will be much more profitable long term. With such a long generation, it's questionable how many more units PS3 can sell, especially if Sony can't drop the price and still make money on every sale.

Aside from MLB The Show, Sony has probably released their last PS3 game pretty much. That's not to say Sony didn't do a good job. They did. They actually went too far with Beyond and GT6. After a 7 year Sony generation they should have known that PS3 software was about to fall off a cliff and moved those games to PS4, or at the very least, release on both consoles simultaneously.

I agree with this. You also have to look at the difference in price points among the different consoles. Neither the original PlayStation or PlayStation 2 released at $600. Expecting the PS3 to drop down to $100 is unreasonable.
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777