Should Nintendo consider selling off their less than profitable IPs?

#1AncientTempestPosted 4/12/2014 9:58:51 PM
Let's be perfectly honest with ourselves (for those who continue remain in delusion): The reason why we aren't going to get another f-zero, star fox, Earthbound, custom robo, wave race, etc. then why not just simply sell them off to independent, third-party developers and let's see what they can do with these great series? It's understandable Nintendo no longer has any interest in investing in the development of these titles as they are simply will yield a poor return on their resources, which is why it would much rather make sense for them to sell it off so we fans of a series don't have to wait 10+ years for an HD remake of a previous installment. In this scenario, Nintendo can continue to focus on Mario games and Wii fit U as those are the games Wii and Wii U owners seem to be interested. All the while, fans of these dead IPs can continue to enjoy them either on the wii U or even other consoles if necessary.
#2BloodychessPosted 4/12/2014 10:39:34 PM
Nintendo would never just sell those kinds of IP's unless strained with a huge financial burden. At most, they'd lease the creative property out to someone and collect a percentage of the profits afterwards (which has been their model for decades already).

This OP is heavily idealistic. No company in the business would do something like this unless they absolutely had to or got an amazing deal.
---
Rock Me Amadeus!! -Falco Lombardi
#3IngExBeinPosted 4/12/2014 10:43:08 PM
No. Nobody does their own IPs justice. I'd rather Nintendo sit on things like Metroid than ho it out.
#4RecursosHumanosPosted 4/12/2014 10:45:01 PM
f-zero, star fox, Earthbound, custom robo, wave race, etc

so we fans of a series don't have to wait 10+ years for an HD remake of a previous installment.

When has that ever happen with any of those series? Or with any "less profitable" series from Nintendo?

I think fans would be less upset at Nintendo if they AT LEAST did that.
---
Diamond: 1333-8873-8269
#5b1gt0nePosted 4/13/2014 4:20:03 AM
Troll harder
#6AncientTempest(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 4:48:23 PM
Bloodychess posted...
Nintendo would never just sell those kinds of IP's unless strained with a huge financial burden. At most, they'd lease the creative property out to someone and collect a percentage of the profits afterwards (which has been their model for decades already).

This OP is heavily idealistic. No company in the business would do something like this unless they absolutely had to or got an amazing deal.

The difference is, those IP's are not at all profitable in comparison to their flagship IP's (Mario, Zelda, wii sports). If they simply can't make any money off these, then the only logical decision for any business (thriving or otherwise) is to sell them off entirely to third-party developers who would like to take them on. There's absolutely nothing idealistic about that and one would assume that is the only rational decision a corporation like Nintendo can make at this point in time.
#7AncientTempest(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2014 4:52:21 PM
RecursosHumanos posted...
When has that ever happen with any of those series? Or with any "less profitable" series from Nintendo?

Fire emblem games ring a bell?

RecursosHumanos posted...
I think fans would be less upset at Nintendo if they AT LEAST did that.

I don't necessarily disagree with you here.
#8jillwarrenPosted 4/13/2014 4:52:27 PM
I'd say no.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#9TheGleamEyesPosted 4/13/2014 4:53:15 PM
I thought Earthbound was done/finished.

Making more sequels would be milking the series, like Star Wars 7-9 being unnecessary according to some SW fan folks.

Not to mention having F-Zero and Star Fox go 3rd party would hurt their futures for Smash Bros.
#10Tayl0rpwnzPosted 4/13/2014 6:17:48 PM
Someone else making metroid other than Nintendo would be one of gamings biggest travesties.