The problem isn't the console...

#11BaronVladzPosted 4/14/2014 5:40:58 PM
HayashiTakara posted...
GuhGat posted...
Why would any third party develop for this console, good relationship or not?

The same reason why any developer would develop for a new console, you need to give incentive for them to develop with a good relationship. Why did the developers choose to develop games for the PS4/XBOne, when there was no guarantee of success? easy because there was good relations.

DorotimusWitik posted...
And how is Nintendo supposed to get that kind of relationship exactly?

Money

So...have Nintendo throw money at 3rd party developers until they make games for the Wii U? Because at this point, the install base of the Wii U along with the tendency of Wii U owners to avoid 3rd party games do not scream profit to those developers.
#12HayashiTakara(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 5:57:57 PM
BaronVladz posted...
HayashiTakara posted...
GuhGat posted...
Why would any third party develop for this console, good relationship or not?

The same reason why any developer would develop for a new console, you need to give incentive for them to develop with a good relationship. Why did the developers choose to develop games for the PS4/XBOne, when there was no guarantee of success? easy because there was good relations.

DorotimusWitik posted...
And how is Nintendo supposed to get that kind of relationship exactly?

Money

So...have Nintendo throw money at 3rd party developers until they make games for the Wii U? Because at this point, the install base of the Wii U along with the tendency of Wii U owners to avoid 3rd party games do not scream profit to those developers.

They need to improve their marketing as well, there needs to be billboards, magazine ads, flash banners at every online entertainment outlet, youtube ads, tv commercials, the whole shabang. Awareness of the console is stupidly low. If they can get that awareness up, they increase their user base and further building confidence with western developers along with paying for development.

If they're not willing to put in the money to do everything necessary, they'll have to settle for second place. Cause we all know the XBone isn't going to improve any time soon, that thing is as big of a mess as the Wii U is.
#13HayashiTakara(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 5:59:19 PM
Prince Shondronai posted...
GuhGat posted...
Prince- good profits and cash flow doesn't, unfortunately, mean the customers are benefiting. Nintendo might be rich, but are people really happy with them right now? Does there cash make you happy? If they did the right thing with it, sure. But they're are slowly killing themselves. I wish I could say that the cash in their bank makes the wii u somehow less terrible than it is.

Their games make me happy. 3rd-party games also make me happy.

You know what doesn't make me happy? When my favorite 3rd-parties destroy themselves with unnecessarily large budgets, because they feel the need to keep up with the few developers who can actually make a profit from that business model.

Nintendo has all of their money for a reason. They play things conservatively and never get ahead of themselves. Sometimes that means they don't seem to measure up to the competition, but if it means they get to keep providing me with games while others disappear, I'm fine with that.

More 3rd-parties are going to go bankrupt this generation because they think they need to spend enough to max out the PS4 and XBO, when in fact they should be rallying behind Nintendo's approach.

If we had a balanced 3rd-party support situation, with the struggling Japanese publishers on Wii U and the publishers capable of turning a profit from state-of-the-art tech supporting the PS4 and XBO, there'd be more games and a healthier industry overall.

I agree 100%, so many companies are dying this gen, and honestly it's rather sad. Most Japanese developers are sticking to development of 7th gen consoles to avoid development costs, because the pressure of 8th gen is just too much atm.