I'm going to say it, I don't like Super Mario 64

#1JackyBoyJaneyGiPosted 4/17/2014 7:40:32 PM
Now I absolutely love Mario, I consider Super Mario Bros. 3 to be one of the best games on NES and the original Super Mario Bros. to be the most influential game of all time. But sadly Super Mario 64 hasn't aged well because of one major problem: the camera. This camera is the worst of any video game I have ever played. It didn't seem to bother people back in the day, but when you get used to camera angles that you can easily control like in Grand Theft Auto V, it makes the camera controls in Super Mario 64 look broken. Graphically, Super Mario 64 was way ahead of its time, but I consider functionality to be more important than graphics. If they could fix the camera, I would probably give this game a 10 out of 10. If they could spend money on the graphics, why couldn't they fix the camera? I also thought the bosses were disappointing because they were way too easy and by this point in 1996, I got tired of always rescuing Princess Toadstool in most Mario games I've played at this point. I don't know, but 3D games on PlayStation played a lot better. Crash Bandicoot came out the same year and that played perfectly, in fact, Crash Bandicoot came out before Super Mario 64. I'm just in a bad mood after playing Super Mario 64 and I'm disappointed that it wasn't as awesome as I remember it to be.
#2iKhan88Posted 4/17/2014 7:41:29 PM
To be fair, Super Mario 64 kind of invented the modern 3D camera.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#3JackyBoyJaneyGi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 7:45:23 PM
iKhan88 posted...
To be fair, Super Mario 64 kind of invented the modern 3D camera.

Yeah, but they haven't perfected it yet.
#4MilesTeg420Posted 4/17/2014 7:48:49 PM
Let's compare GTAV's camera to a platformer in 1996.

Crash didn't have a camera so of course it played "perfectly". It basically wasn't even a 3D game.
#5KaiserWarriorPosted 4/17/2014 7:49:48 PM
Context is important. The camera is primitive and the bosses are easy because we hadn't figured those things out yet. They didn't yet have the tech and the design know-how to make a fully-controllable camera, so instead you get the 90-degree rotations and semi-auto angles. Very few people had done 3D third-person gameplay before, so the bosses had to be easy because they were dealing with an audience that almost assuredly had absolutely no experience with fighting a boss in full 3D.

It's like Descent. Nowadays, Descent is incredibly easy, because we're used to WASD-style controls for an FPS and even though the game is zero-G, its motions now make sense to us as part of a standard language. But back when it was made, it was hard as balls and the level design was deemed "Challenging enough" because the context of its release is that full-3D was brand new and mouselook wasn't even a thing. We hadn't yet figured out WASD controls, so the game doesn't account for how easy it is to control using them.
#6Maverick_ReznorPosted 4/17/2014 7:54:54 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...

Crash didn't have a camera so of course it played "perfectly". It basically wasn't even a 3D game.

whats even worse is the camera control in GTAV was still really clunky
---
Currently Playing : Titanfall, FFX/X2 HD, and Elder Scrolls Online
Looking Forward To: Destiny,Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Evolve The Order 1886
#7JackyBoyJaneyGi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 7:55:53 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...

Crash is a 3D game.
#8SyCo_VeNoMPosted 4/17/2014 7:59:21 PM
One question did you use a N64 controller?
I've learned the camera is a bit of a pain using umm more modern equipment to play it as analog sticks kinda control it funky as were all used to more finer controls using them, and the game was designed to use digital buttons for the camera.

Also I agree fully with KaiserWarrior on why its considered easy.
#9dylanbrandon286Posted 4/17/2014 8:01:28 PM
JackyBoyJaneyGi posted...
Now I absolutely love Mario, I consider Super Mario Bros. 3 to be one of the best games on NES and the original Super Mario Bros. to be the most influential game of all time. But sadly Super Mario 64 hasn't aged well because of one major problem: the camera. This camera is the worst of any video game I have ever played. It didn't seem to bother people back in the day, but when you get used to camera angles that you can easily control like in Grand Theft Auto V, it makes the camera controls in Super Mario 64 look broken. Graphically, Super Mario 64 was way ahead of its time, but I consider functionality to be more important than graphics. If they could fix the camera, I would probably give this game a 10 out of 10. If they could spend money on the graphics, why couldn't they fix the camera? I also thought the bosses were disappointing because they were way too easy and by this point in 1996, I got tired of always rescuing Princess Toadstool in most Mario games I've played at this point. I don't know, but 3D games on PlayStation played a lot better. Crash Bandicoot came out the same year and that played perfectly, in fact, Crash Bandicoot came out before Super Mario 64. I'm just in a bad mood after playing Super Mario 64 and I'm disappointed that it wasn't as awesome as I remember it to be.

Are you able to walk and breathe simultaneously? Like honestly...I didn't think anyone could be so daft.

Super Mario 64 has a bad camera compared to GTA5 because SM64 is from 1996 and GTA5 is from 2013. YOU CANNOT COMPARE THE TWO AT ALL.
---
Japan: "wow nukes are so op. America so noob." Brokencandle
http://www.youtube.com/user/batista1229
#10JackyBoyJaneyGi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 8:02:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
One question did you use a N64 controller?
I've learned the camera is a bit of a pain using umm more modern equipment to play it as analog sticks kinda control it funky as were all used to more finer controls using them, and the game was designed to use digital buttons for the camera.

Also I agree fully with KaiserWarrior on why its considered easy.

Yes, I do use a Nintendo 64 (a real one, not an emulator), I was playing it today and was disappointed by how awful the camera is. I like the Z-targeting in Ocarina of Time a lot better than using the C-buttons to move the camera. The game would be a lot easier and fun if they could always keep the camera facing behind Mario.