I'm going to say it, I don't like Super Mario 64

#11JackyBoyJaneyGi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 9:04:12 PM
dylanbrandon286 posted...
JackyBoyJaneyGi posted...
Now I absolutely love Mario, I consider Super Mario Bros. 3 to be one of the best games on NES and the original Super Mario Bros. to be the most influential game of all time. But sadly Super Mario 64 hasn't aged well because of one major problem: the camera. This camera is the worst of any video game I have ever played. It didn't seem to bother people back in the day, but when you get used to camera angles that you can easily control like in Grand Theft Auto V, it makes the camera controls in Super Mario 64 look broken. Graphically, Super Mario 64 was way ahead of its time, but I consider functionality to be more important than graphics. If they could fix the camera, I would probably give this game a 10 out of 10. If they could spend money on the graphics, why couldn't they fix the camera? I also thought the bosses were disappointing because they were way too easy and by this point in 1996, I got tired of always rescuing Princess Toadstool in most Mario games I've played at this point. I don't know, but 3D games on PlayStation played a lot better. Crash Bandicoot came out the same year and that played perfectly, in fact, Crash Bandicoot came out before Super Mario 64. I'm just in a bad mood after playing Super Mario 64 and I'm disappointed that it wasn't as awesome as I remember it to be.

Are you able to walk and breathe simultaneously? Like honestly...I didn't think anyone could be so daft.

Super Mario 64 has a bad camera compared to GTA5 because SM64 is from 1996 and GTA5 is from 2013. YOU CANNOT COMPARE THE TWO AT ALL.

Fair enough, but there were plenty of other games in the late 90's that had perfect cameras.
#12MilesTeg420Posted 4/17/2014 9:05:29 PM
Now I absolutely love Mario, I consider Super Mario Bros. 3 to be one of the best games on NES and the original Super Mario Bros. to be the most influential game of all time. But sadly Super Mario 64 hasn't aged well because of one major problem: the camera. This camera is the worst of any video game I have ever played. It didn't seem to bother people back in the day, but when you get used to camera angles that you can easily control like in Grand Theft Auto V, it makes the camera controls in Super Mario 64 look broken. Graphically, Super Mario 64 was way ahead of its time, but I consider functionality to be more important than graphics. If they could fix the camera, I would probably give this game a 10 out of 10. If they could spend money on the graphics, why couldn't they fix the camera? I also thought the bosses were disappointing because they were way too easy and by this point in 1996, I got tired of always rescuing Princess Toadstool in most Mario games I've played at this point. I don't know, but 3D games on PlayStation played a lot better. Crash Bandicoot came out the same year and that played perfectly, in fact, Crash Bandicoot came out before Super Mario 64. I'm just in a bad mood after playing Super Mario 64 and I'm disappointed that it wasn't as awesome as I remember it to be.

Are you able to walk and breathe simultaneously? Like honestly...I didn't think anyone could be so daft.

Super Mario 64 has a bad camera compared to GTA5 because SM64 is from 1996 and GTA5 is from 2013. YOU CANNOT COMPARE THE TWO AT ALL.

Fair enough, but there were plenty of other games in the late 90's that had perfect cameras.

Like what? Games that didn't have movable cameras? Strategy RPGs?
#13dylanbrandon286Posted 4/17/2014 9:05:49 PM

Define perfect, cause to be honest most of them were god awful.

The only series that wasn't was Crash, and that's because it was basically a 2D game in a 3D point of view. You never had a reason to change the camera angle, so they never gave you the option to change the camera.
---
Japan: "wow nukes are so op. America so noob." Brokencandle
http://www.youtube.com/user/batista1229
#14JackyBoyJaneyGi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 9:08:58 PM
Syphon Filter from 1998, the camera always stays behind Gabe Logan and I never had any problems with it. It's an open world 3D game, it always keeps locking on during enemies during Target Lock. It's perfect.
#15dylanbrandon286Posted 4/17/2014 9:10:18 PM
Syphon Filter from 1998, the camera always stays behind Gabe Logan and I never had any problems with it. It's an open world 3D game, it always keeps locking on during enemies during Target Lock. It's perfect.

That is extremely debatable. I hated the series because it felt clunky and I was always fighting against the camera.
---
#16JackyBoyJaneyGi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 9:13:34 PM

That is extremely debatable. I hated the series because it felt clunky and I was always fighting against the camera.

I never had any problem with the camera. You can also aim in first person mode with the L1 and use the analog stick to aim which is quick and responsive.
#17DorotimusWitikPosted 4/17/2014 9:15:51 PM

Pretty sure that right there is a comparison. I don't believe the separation in time between two releases nullifies the ability to compare those two things. It makes differences understandable sure, but it doesn't make those comparisons somehow illegitimate.
#18dylanbrandon286Posted 4/17/2014 9:18:30 PM
DorotimusWitik posted...

Pretty sure that right there is a comparison. I don't believe the separation in time between two releases nullifies the ability to compare those two things. It makes differences understandable sure, but it doesn't make those comparisons somehow illegitimate.

You can't look back and say a game from 1996 is bad when compared to a game from 2014. That is completely unfair and you obviously have no grasp on how fair comparison works.
---
#19MilesTeg420Posted 4/17/2014 9:19:15 PM
DorotimusWitik posted...

A game using dual analog vs a game using one stick and buttons. Sure.
#20JackyBoyJaneyGi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 9:21:26 PM
I guess GTA V and SM64 were a bad comparison.