Why is Super Mario Bros. 3 being on eShop in NA such a big deal for Nintendo?

#1HermeticJusticePosted 4/17/2014 9:40:59 PM
It's on the news for the eShop on the 3DS and the Wii U as well as the general notifications. There is a newsletter titled "The wait is over..." and Tom had a Miiverse post on it

All this for a game that released 20 years ago and has been ported multiple times, and in fact was delayed for an American release?

I mean, if Nintendo did this just as much for other VC games, or hell, even recent third party or first party games, digital or retail, maybe people would know they exist.
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#2MushroomMuncherPosted 4/17/2014 9:43:15 PM
Because it's been said to be one of the greatest platformers and the best NES game of all time?
---
You don't want to make the bet because you know you're wrong since your account was set up as a parody of Nintendo fanboys. ~DaLagga
#3CubeTVPosted 4/17/2014 9:48:55 PM
Agreed. It would be one thing if it was N64 games on the Wii U VC, or even the celebration of the 100th Wii U VC game (Seriously... This annoys me that the Wii U is 15 months old and it STILL doesn't have 100 VC games compared to the Wii).

Doing this celebration just for SMB3? Without even cross-buy (something the SNES/GC technically accomplished), it's making a big deal out of nothing.

Did Nintendo ever answer as to why they didn't port the Wii VC games over to the Wii U eshop like the DSiWare is on the 3DS (and perfectly playable, without any fees and circle pad/home button usage). I might call them up tomorrow to ask about this.
---
This will "save" the Wii U: A list I made of everything it's currently doing for anyone who owns one.
http://i.imgur.com/vRk0U6t.png
#4Baha05Posted 4/17/2014 9:54:26 PM
I'm wondering if they will surprise announce Cross Buy at sometime this month.
---
"DLC has always and still means all downloaded content, but of course Nintendo fanboys always did and will bend logic to suit their ignorance."
#5HeracylostPosted 4/17/2014 10:13:16 PM
What's the big deal? I have it on SNES still.
#6Megamushroom666Posted 4/17/2014 10:21:21 PM
Heracylost posted...

I have Super Mario All-Stars for Wii. Upgraded graphics and no glitches.
---
"Deep into that darkness peering..."
www.SNACKEROO.com - Snacks on camera.
#7george15gamerPosted 4/17/2014 10:29:13 PM
Megamushroom666 posted...
Heracylost posted...

Best version, imo. I could never get into the original game. Not colorful enough.
---
"I commend your courage, but I will show you no mercy."
PSN/NNID: BackstabberX XBL: RevengefulX
#8Jami393Posted 4/17/2014 10:31:55 PM
Megamushroom666 posted...
Heracylost posted...

All games have glitches.
#9Maxx_the_SlashPosted 4/17/2014 10:38:49 PM
I think Nintendo shouldn't make a big deal about it for a different reason. Holding the game so late when Japan and Europe got it almost almost a half a year earlier shows that Nintendo really didn't give a ****. If it was so important to them that the game was on the eShop in North America, they would have gotten it done when they promised, before the end of 2013. This is fake excitement on Nintendo's part.

I know something more amazing that could happen on the eShop: Konami could finally give us the original Contra for the NES. At least we got SMB3 on the original Wii. We never got the original Contra on any version of the Virtual Console, and Konami seems to be completely disinterested in anything that's not Super C or Alien Wars even though the original Contra is the one we most want.

That would be infinitely more amazing than SMB3's release. And I love SMB3 a lot. It's just that the game was held off for so long for no apparent reason that I'm almost completely numb to the fact that it's finally out. I don't care. I bought it, but I don't care. Woo hoo, don't give a damn. Should have ****ing happened sooner, when I WOULD have been losing my **** over it's release.
---
Opie & Anthony, XM 103/Sirius 206 | AC:NL/3DS: 3222-5637-7984 (Name: Josh)
Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash | XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash
#10Koi_TenchiPosted 4/17/2014 10:40:53 PM
Considering how big of a deal over 50% of the board was making with each delay of the release of this on the eshop, I can't blame Nintendo for making this big of a deal that it's finally been released.
---
It's a secret to everybody.