The U can't play DVDs or Blu Ray..

#1Lemon_MasterPosted 4/18/2014 4:09:26 AM
I find it a bit odd. It's been pretty standard for consoles to play CDs and some sort of movie disc for a decade now, and the Wii was excusable.

Do you think in six years the new console will have those features or are they just too unimportant?
#2AhnoldDoodPosted 4/18/2014 4:10:12 AM
If I wanted to watch DVDs, I'd get a DVD player.
#3Lemon_Master(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2014 4:12:24 AM
AhnoldDood posted...

A big draw to the PS2 was the DVD aspect, and same with PS3 and Blu Ray. It saves space and money.
#4JackalPosted 4/18/2014 4:12:47 AM
Nintendo consoles aren't media friendly. Spend extra money if you want to use your media. Or use another device that you may have. Or better yet, another console that let's you do it all. ;)
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#5Sk2k52Posted 4/18/2014 4:13:05 AM
Who actually bothers with blurays? It was a aimless and pointless technology and isn't notably superior to dvd's in any way.
---
http://14thlord.blogspot.com/2013/09/7-reasons-wii-u-flopped-at-launch.html
7 Reasons why the Wii U's Launch failed.
#6BladeManEXEPosted 4/18/2014 4:13:37 AM
Having those features means paying royalties/fees that at least in part go to a competitor. Sony has been involved in the creation of most of those media in some fashion, and Microsoft pays out anyways as part of other parts of their company.

Nintendo doesn't have other, major tech divisions and its fairly obvious they wouldn't want to pay a competitor if they don't have to.

And if people want to have a Blu ray, DVD, or CD player, they probably would have done it years before the Wii U came out. Unless you really, really want an all-in-one box, there's not much point in having the Wii U be Blu ray/DVD/CD capable.
#7AhnoldDoodPosted 4/18/2014 4:13:40 AM
Lemon_Master posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

A big draw to the PS2 was the DVD aspect, and same with PS3 and Blu Ray. It saves space and money.

A big draw for the PS2 because it was new, interesting, and DVD players were not that easy to get.

It wasn't a big draw for the PS3 at all.
#8AhnoldDoodPosted 4/18/2014 4:14:53 AM
Jackal posted...
Nintendo consoles aren't media friendly. Spend extra money if you want to use your media. Or use another device that you may have. Or better yet, another console that let's you do it all. ;)

Now here's a kid who like spending $400-$500 to watch TV on his TV through his game console.
#9mcsmellingtonPosted 4/18/2014 4:19:31 AM
I think dvd and blu ray playback would be handy. It's not a major selling point, but it would make sense seeing as they have Netflix and whatever TVii is too.

Do they use blu ray discs in some format? I know the discs are a bit different, wasn't sure if they're a modified form or something though.
---
GT: McPoo Friend Code: 0146-9590-6349
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#10BladeManEXEPosted 4/18/2014 4:21:07 AM
mcsmellington posted...
I think dvd and blu ray playback would be handy. It's not a major selling point, but it would make sense seeing as they have Netflix and whatever TVii is too.

Do they use blu ray discs in some format? I know the discs are a bit different, wasn't sure if they're a modified form or something though.

They're very similar physically, but they lack some sort of compression or encoding that Nintendo would have to pay (which in part would go to Sony, who helped develop Blu ray) to legally use. I'm not sure how much else is different.