The U can't play DVDs or Blu Ray..

#11OnePieceFanPosted 4/18/2014 5:22:08 AM
AhnoldDood posted...
If I wanted to watch DVDs, I'd get a DVD player.

Came in here to post this. If I wanted to watch a movie on my TV, I'd either use the DVD player that I already have or Netflix.
---
http://s8.zetaboards.com/One_Piece_MUGEN/index/ - One Piece: Grand Line Bout (fangame covering the series prior to the timeskip)
#12PigfartsPosted 4/18/2014 5:31:13 AM
AhnoldDood posted...

When someone says the ps4 doesnt have BC, is the answer if you want to play PS3 games get a PS3, or is this part of the whole double standard thing?
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#13EoinPosted 4/18/2014 5:33:41 AM
Nintendo probably figured that the license costs, while not huge, weren't worth whatever additional sales those features would bring in.

They are probably right.

I think it wouldn't have been a bad idea for them to examine the possibility of selling DVD/Blu-ray playback separately, either as a dongle (like the original Xbox did for DVD playback) or as an online purchase, but at this stage it hardly matters.

mcsmellington posted...
Do they use blu ray discs in some format? I know the discs are a bit different, wasn't sure if they're a modified form or something though.

The discs are physically identical to Blu-rays, but with a modified logical structure (i.e., not UDF). This means that they can be pressed on the same lines as Blu-rays and they offer all the same benefits (low cost, reasonable capacity, durability, speed). It also means that Nintendo don't have to pay any per-disc licensing fees, so that's the best of both worlds. However, the fact that it's a variant (and the lack of a license) means that Nintendo can't call them Blu-rays (since technically they are not).
#14mcsmellingtonPosted 4/18/2014 5:35:20 AM
They have sexy rounded edges too for maximum comfort when handling.
---
GT: McPoo Friend Code: 0146-9590-6349
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#15BladeManEXEPosted 4/18/2014 5:35:45 AM
Pigfarts posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

When someone says the ps4 doesnt have BC, is the answer if you want to play PS3 games get a PS3, or is this part of the whole double standard thing?

That's not the same thing. People are asking why a games console doesn't play movies here (i.e. why a piece of media tech doesn't play a different type of media), not why a games console doesn't play its predecessor's games (i.e. why a piece of media tech doesn't play an older type of the same media).
#16WildsparkPosted 4/18/2014 5:47:00 AM
Sk2k52 posted...
Who actually bothers with blurays? It was a aimless and pointless technology and isn't notably superior to dvd's in any way.

I used to think that too, but Blu-Ray movies are actually a lot clearer and sharper than regular DVDs.
---
3ds XL is the best thing since Christmas
#17STN79Posted 4/18/2014 6:05:23 AM
None of Nintendo's systems aside from that Japan only version of Gamecube have played DVD's.
They are for the playing of videogames. Not a home theater device. You know how PS2 and PS3 could play DVD's? Yeah well i never used the feature even once cause i'd rather be gaming on my game systems. The Wii U's price is already giving some cheap asses a fit and you want it to cost more with pointless DVD playback? Genius!
---
It is artists, not technicians, who make excellent games. "Hiroshi yamauchi"
#18PigfartsPosted 4/18/2014 6:19:34 AM
BladeManEXE posted...
Pigfarts posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

That's not the same thing. People are asking why a games console doesn't play movies here (i.e. why a piece of media tech doesn't play a different type of media), not why a games console doesn't play its predecessor's games (i.e. why a piece of media tech doesn't play an older type of the same media).

playing dvd's has been an industry standard for the last 15 years. Even the Wii (once modded) could play dvd's.
---
#19PigfartsPosted 4/18/2014 6:22:15 AM
STN79 posted...
None of Nintendo's systems aside from that Japan only version of Gamecube have played DVD's.
They are for the playing of videogames. Not a home theater device. You know how PS2 and PS3 could play DVD's? Yeah well i never used the feature even once cause i'd rather be gaming on my game systems. The Wii U's price is already giving some cheap asses a fit and you want it to cost more with pointless DVD playback? Genius!

STN79 doesn't use it = confirmed no one else uses it.

I have about 2TB worth of movies and shows on a harddrive hooked up to my PS3, how else do you suppose I watch it on my TV wince my tv has no USB ports?
---
#20STN79Posted 4/18/2014 6:27:04 AM
Owning a DVD player before hand has been an idustry standard since 1997. You telling me you didn't already own one even way back when PS2 released? They didn't need DVD playback even then but whatever makes it cost more right? It's called a playstation not a watchstation.

There are Netflix and Hulu apps on all modern game systems if you wanna watch movies.
---
It is artists, not technicians, who make excellent games. "Hiroshi yamauchi"