Bought WW HD but can't play it...

#1abear90Posted 4/21/2014 5:39:30 PM
I very recently acquired a Wii U and Super Mario 3D World (which has been very enjoyable), and Wind Waker is one of my favorite games of all time, so naturally, a couple of days ago I went out and bought WWHD.

I do not own a TV (a display with built-in speakers). I own several computer monitors, none of which have speakers, and I do all of my gaming on a sizable LED monitor. I have external PC speakers I usually run audio to. I play PS3, 360, and PS4 using this very setup with 0 problems. When I started playing SM3DW, I noticed that there was no way to send any kind of a split audio signal out of the Wii U at all, which for my setup I absolutely need, because using HDMI straight to my monitor results in picture but not sound. But, I discovered that the headphone jack on the GamePad was outputting the full game audio for SM3DW, and I was able to use that to play and hear SM3DW.

I started playing WWHD thinking it would work exactly the same way. I started up the game, made a new file, and watched the opening story, video and audio working correctly. As soon as the game jumped to Outset Island, though, all of a sudden I lost my audio. I thought at first the game had glitched; I actually saved the game and restarted the console, thinking it would fix itself. Still no audio out of the gamepad headphone port.

For fun, I tried switching the game to display fully on the gamepad, and, all of a sudden, as soon as it switched over, I had game audio again.

Okay, so I just got lucky with Mario, it looks like. I opened up the Zelda options menu looking for a way to choose what audio to send to the GamePad. No options at all.

That leaves me with A) Play the game entirely on the GamePad, in 480p and lose all of the benefits of having the extra screen for inventory, etc, but have audio. Or B) I can play in 1080p on my monitor and use the gamepad for inventory, etc, but have no audio.

Obviously, both of those options are no good, and I admit I'm a little frustrated, both that the Wii U has no optical audio output, and that there is no system-level audio setting to always send the full game audio to the GamePad for headphone users or people with special cases like myself.

I guess my only workaround is to buy an HDMI to HDMI + optical or HDMI + RCA audio adapter, or I can't play WWHD at all...
#2kazooie48Posted 4/21/2014 5:42:04 PM
Maybe you should just get a tv
---
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/AzureJet/Artonelico-Aurica.jpg ~ Aurica
Not changing this sig until Wade Barrett wins a World Title ~ 12/1/11
#3Xenesis XenonPosted 4/21/2014 5:49:47 PM(edited)
There's actually an option in the Wii U system settings to output audio through both the HDMI and composite cable ports.

At worst, you'll need a $2 RCA to 3.5mm Audio jack converter.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#4abear90(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 5:47:36 PM
kazooie48 posted...
Maybe you should just get a tv

I should pay ~$500 to get a TV with similar specs as the perfectly good monitor I already use without issue for every game console I own just to play a single Wii U game? Obviously there are workarounds; like I said, I can spend $40 or so on an HDMI auido splitter but the fact I have to do that at all is kind of ridiculous.

Does anyone know of any other, more free workarounds?
#5SuigintouEVPosted 4/21/2014 5:53:28 PM(edited)
have you tried using analog RCA audio outputs?

Otherwise, yeah. Pretty much just a lazy move on your part for not having a receiver and real speakers in line before the monitor... get yourself a decent receiver. Receivers tend to also have headphone jacks.

Here:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxsr313/onkyo-tx-sr313-5.1-channel-3-d-ready-home-theater-receiver/1.html

Not only will that solve your problems, but you can add in a pair of quality bookshelf speakers too, like these:

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#6abear90(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 5:53:39 PM
Xenesis Xenon posted...
There's actually an option in the Wii U system settings to output audio through both the HDMI and composite cable ports.

Ah, thank you for this. I was about to type up a "no there's not" response but I finally saw the tiny "X - Output-Cable Settings" option in the "TV" settings section (why are audio options under 'TV???). I'm guessing that was patched in? So all I need is a proprietary Wii U / Wii composite adapter and I'm good to go, it looks like.
#7Xenesis XenonPosted 4/21/2014 5:54:39 PM
Yeah, it was patched in a few system updates ago.

It's not very easy to find, as it is tucked away under that tiny menu.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#8abear90(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 5:58:50 PM
SuigintouEV posted...
have you tried using analog RCA audio outputs?

Otherwise, yeah. Pretty much just a lazy move on your part for not having a receiver and real speakers in line before the monitor... get yourself a decent receiver. Receivers tend to also have headphone jacks.

Here:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxsr313/onkyo-tx-sr313-5.1-channel-3-d-ready-home-theater-receiver/1.html

Not only will that solve your problems, but you can add in a pair of quality bookshelf speakers too, like these:

http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair

A receiver is way overkill for my setup (and way out of my budget)...but I just learned that you can, in fact, at least split the audio using a semi-hidden menu setting as long as you have a Wii composite adapter cable, which is much, much cheaper than an entire receiver or a new TV, as a couple of you are suggesting.

Again, my goal was not to spend hundreds of dollars to get this working; my setup works perfectly for my PC and 3 other game consoles as is; why in the world would I buy a receiver just so I can play WWHD?
#9SuigintouEVPosted 4/21/2014 6:00:12 PM
abear90 posted...
Again, my goal was not to spend hundreds of dollars to get this working; my setup works perfectly for my PC and 3 other game consoles as is; why in the world would I buy a receiver just so I can play WWHD?

Because real speakers have much better sound quality.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#10abear90(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2014 6:04:58 PM
SuigintouEV posted...
abear90 posted...

Because real speakers have much better sound quality.

I'm using real speakers...I have a 2.1 Bose system that I enjoy very much that (broken record) works perfectly fine for every single thing that I do and does not need replacing but thank you for your input and for reminding me to replace my clearly insufficient video and audio hardware, because obviously it is my 100% perfectly functioning and up-to-date video and audio hardware that is at fault here.