Will Nintendo stop dumbing down their games?

#1MephsuitPosted 4/23/2014 12:17:43 PM
Their games just keep getting simpler and simpler. We regressed from 3D open world Mario games to rehashed sidescrollers and an on-rails 3D platformer. Donkey Kong went from 3D open world to platformer. Zelda just keeps getting more "on rails" and hand-holding. Metroid went into Other M zone.

I'm not saying these games aren't good, but they feel like glorified mobile games more than the larger-scale games that we've had in the past. And the only thing even remote on the horizon is a possible Zelda game that we might see at some point maybe.
---
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST
#2Baha05Posted 4/23/2014 12:20:20 PM
Define dumbing down first.

Besides:

Super Mario 64 wasn't what one would consider an open world game. They have also always been some linarity with the Mario series

Donkey Kong Country was originally a 2D platformer

Zelda is a series that has always given hints and one bad Metroid game doesn't make the series bad.
---
"DLC has always and still means all downloaded content, but of course Nintendo fanboys always did and will bend logic to suit their ignorance."
#3Mephsuit(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2014 12:24:51 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
Define dumbing down first.

Besides:

Super Mario 64 wasn't what one would consider an open world game. They have also always been some linarity with the Mario series

Donkey Kong Country was originally a 2D platformer

Zelda is a series that has always given hints and one bad Metroid game doesn't make the series bad.

Dumbed down, meaning less content overall to keep the player on rails.

Mario 64 didn't force you upon a path. It expanded more as the game went on, but if you wanted to go from A to C without B, you could. Super Mario Galaxy 2 really started this by wiping out an open world hub. Donkey Kong evolved past 2D platforming, and then regressed back into 2D platforming (because Mario, Kirby, and Yoshi don't have that covered apparently).

And as for Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker (though I loathe) are much more open world and give the player more freedom than Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.
---
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST
#4Maverick_ReznorPosted 4/23/2014 12:25:01 PM
Was expecting a topic about Nintendo games being easy, was disappointed.
---
Currently Playing : Titanfall, FFX/X2 HD, and Elder Scrolls Online
Looking Forward To: Destiny,Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Evolve The Order 1886
#5Baha05Posted 4/23/2014 12:27:06 PM(edited)
Mephsuit posted...
Mario 64 didn't force you upon a path. It expanded more as the game went on, but if you wanted to go from A to C without B, you could. Donkey Kong evolved past 2D platforming, and then regressed back into 2D platforming (because Mario, Kirby, and Yoshi don't have that covered apparently).

And as for Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker (though I loathe) are much more open world and give the player more freedom than Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

It was still a very linear title, also Donkey Kong had ONE 3D game, besides the new series is pretty damn good.

And I would argue OoT, it was the most barren of the titles you mentioned. Twilight Princess had much more in terms of content.

Also what you edit isn't what dumbing down a game means and who are you to say any of these titles have less content?
---
"DLC has always and still means all downloaded content, but of course Nintendo fanboys always did and will bend logic to suit their ignorance."
#6Mephsuit(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2014 12:32:05 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
Mephsuit posted...
Mario 64 didn't force you upon a path. It expanded more as the game went on, but if you wanted to go from A to C without B, you could. Donkey Kong evolved past 2D platforming, and then regressed back into 2D platforming (because Mario, Kirby, and Yoshi don't have that covered apparently).

It was still a very linear title, also Donkey Kong had ONE 3D game, besides the new series is pretty damn good.

And I would argue OoT, it was the most barren of the titles you mentioned. Twilight Princess had much more in terms of content.

Mario 64 may have had some linearity to it, but going to whatever world you want and having open choices at what task you wanted to accomplish is much more open than Mario Galaxy where you're just doing an obstacle course and Mario 3D World which confines things even more.

OoT may have had less content than TP, but you aren't free to access it in TP until Midna's done dragging you around involuntarily. Skyward Sword dumbs down the overworld map even more.

I'm waiting for the next big game. It's been an entire system generation where I played a Mario game where it wasn't "beat 3 stages on the overworld mini-map, beat mid-boss, beat 2 more stages, beat stage boss, repeat x 6 or 7" linearity. But Nintendo just isn't making large, grandiose games anymore (haven't played that new 3DS Zelda to be fair).
---
#7AhnoldDoodPosted 4/23/2014 12:33:15 PM
Mephsuit posted...
Mario 64 didn't force you upon a path.

Yes it did. It was an open path, but still a damn path.

Come back to me when I can go to Rainbow Cruise since the very start of the game.

Donkey Kong evolved past 2D platforming

It had one damn 3D game! That's like saying Mario "evolved" past SMB1 with SMB2USA.

Very, very barely.
#8Maverick_ReznorPosted 4/23/2014 12:33:20 PM
ITT - Tc hasn't played SM3DW
---
Currently Playing : Titanfall, FFX/X2 HD, and Elder Scrolls Online
Looking Forward To: Destiny,Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Evolve The Order 1886
#9JobocanPosted 4/23/2014 12:33:42 PM
Maybe they'll stop once the rest of the industry stops.

Why is it only bad on here if Nintendo does it?
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#10IngExBeinPosted 4/23/2014 12:35:04 PM
Jobocan posted...
Maybe they'll stop once the rest of the industry stops.

Why is it only bad on here if Nintendo does it?

Cuz the industry says death to Nintendo.

Also, there's no point in designing a game contrary to what you want it to do. Galaxy 2 working like a hub made sense in context of the game. Therefore, it isn't "dumbed down".