Backwards compatibility isn't really a reason to buy a console

#11Sega9599Posted 4/27/2014 2:27:40 PM
There is a rumour the PS4 will be able to play PS2 and PS1 discs as well as PS3 this summer. If that happens, I may very well get rid of my PS2 finally.

Honestly, if the X1 played 360 discs and allowed for your entire hard drive to be transferred, then I'd get that. Not being able to play 360 Arcade games is annoying.
---
Oh, for a new 'proper' Shining Force..and a new Panel de Pon game and a new english release of Puyo Puyo....
#12Jaime_BennPosted 4/27/2014 2:32:11 PM
I probably would had bought a PS4 already if it has backwards compatibility. I'm not done with my PS3 yet, and it's still getting a lot of support.
#13AzumaOtakuPosted 4/27/2014 2:40:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#14adampeltzPosted 4/27/2014 2:54:54 PM
AzumaOtaku posted...
Backwards compatibility is awesome! American welfare gamers only hate because they want a reason to sell their PS3/360 games when upgrading (using the "up" part of the term very loosely) to a PS4/XBO because they want to have more $$$ in their pockets.

?
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691
#15BobGuy128Posted 4/27/2014 2:55:29 PM
I like it. It lets me replace the old console with the new one, so no extra space is taken up. No unnecessary cable switching, either.
---
The above post may contain satire.
The terms "casual" and "hardcore" are meaningless, please stop using them.
#16retrogoodsPosted 4/27/2014 2:56:11 PM
AzumaOtaku posted...
Backwards compatibility is awesome! American welfare gamers only hate because they want a reason to sell their PS3/360 games when upgrading (using the "up" part of the term very loosely) to a PS4/XBO because they want to have more $$$ in their pockets.

Enjoy the banned list very soon, rook.
---
Uncle Rico a better option than most backup quarterbacks
#17SyCo_VeNoMPosted 4/27/2014 3:11:47 PM
Seeing some pores on a persons face IMO isn't a very good reason to buy a new console either, but that is all the twins really offer over the old.
#18nonexistingheroPosted 4/27/2014 3:12:18 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
I don't buy a console just for BC, but it is a strong incentive.

This. Makes for a good opportunity to catch up on some games. Like if someone bought an Xbox 360 and the goes to PS4 for the next generation... they'd be able to play some great PS3 exclusives if it had BC.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#19jillwarrenPosted 4/27/2014 3:14:34 PM
It isn't a primary reason, but it helps. I have just recently started looking into 360 games. I will probably finally pick one up by the end of the summer for a handful of RPGs that I cannot play anywhere else. If the X-Box 1 could play these games, I might seriously consider getting one, but it can't, so there is no appeal in it for me. Of course I am far from a majority, but B.C. did make a difference in me going with both a PS2 and a Wii, so, it matters to me.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#20SolisPosted 4/27/2014 3:20:43 PM
Backwards compatibility can be nice when it allows for extra features and conveniences that the original systems didn't, like the PS3's backwards compatibility allowing you to save games on virtual memory cards on the harddrive and being able to play with 4 players without needing a multitap on the system's native controllers, or even the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility that added antialiasing to the games. When the only thing backwards compatibility offers on a console is the ability to play the games in the same way that the earlier console already could (which at that point could be bought for $50 or less), then it seems like something of a waste since the effort to bring backwards compatibility probably resulted in the system being worse in other ways to support it.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review