Backwards compatibility isn't really a reason to buy a console

#61vashtrichamPosted 4/28/2014 7:36:41 PM
Soeroah posted...
vashtricham posted...
Soeroah posted...
Lefty128k posted...
With the constant first party droughts and lack of third party offerings, Wii U fanboys have to rely on BC so they can have something to play.

Kind of ironic considering my current situation of having multiple PS3 games I want to play with working system.

Pity the longest lasting consoles tend to be the ones with built-in BC.

The longest lasting console is the one that is supported the longest. Ps2 didnt last so long because it could play Ps1 games.

Longest lasting in terms of not breaking, not support.

Out of two PS3 I have owned, I've needed to get them repairs four times in five years. Out of two 360s, they were practically broken out of the box. Out of thee Nintendo home consoles, I've never required a repair.

I had been hoping the PS4 would be able to play PS3 games because the PS3 has overheating problems, and I'd have expected the PS4 would run cooler. Unfortunately, I'll need to keep playing the games on aPS3 that regularly freezes if I spend too much time watching streamed movies and complaining about a lack of memory if I try to use the browser for too long.

I have a very real fear that even the new PS3 Slim I got will start breaking when I actually start playing games on it, even though my Fat PS3 went for a few years before finally YLoDing the first time.

And I had multiple Wii's fail on me and I got a DOA WIIU and the replacement had gamepad problems and I have never had any PS3 problems with my launch day 60 gb fat which has been used daily since then. So whats the longest lasting console now since I can make statements just like you with my own experience as well.
---
Marvel heroes: Cap and Gambit
#6240DribylfPosted 4/28/2014 7:38:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
Seeing some pores on a persons face IMO isn't a very good reason to buy a new console either, but that is all the twins really offer over the old.

Man, is it 2005 in here or what.
---
Rest in peace, DJ Rashad
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#6340DribylfPosted 4/28/2014 7:40:29 PM
But anyway, I don't care about BC. I play new consoles for new games.

Hence why I don't buy consoles at launch and simply play games on my PC until the console I want has a decent library.
---
Rest in peace, DJ Rashad
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#64ProzacMessiahPosted 4/28/2014 7:49:52 PM(edited)
I thought backwards compatibility was a key feature until I had it. Despite having an extensive library of original Xbox titles, I've only ever made use of the feature once on my X360. Likewise, I've made use of backwards compatibility one time to play a PSX title on my PS3. Note: I never owned a PS2. A friend of mine is a BC booster, but when I ask him how often he uses it, it's always "Well, last March...." If you're space-constrained, it's probably nice to have right when a new generation launches, but I can see why manufacturers are giving it less priority.

I do make good use of backwards compatibility on handhelds, playing GBA titles on my DS and digital titles on my Vita.
#65SoeroahPosted 4/29/2014 2:11:25 AM
vashtricham posted...
Soeroah posted...
vashtricham posted...
Soeroah posted...
Lefty128k posted...
With the constant first party droughts and lack of third party offerings, Wii U fanboys have to rely on BC so they can have something to play.

Kind of ironic considering my current situation of having multiple PS3 games I want to play with working system.

Pity the longest lasting consoles tend to be the ones with built-in BC.

The longest lasting console is the one that is supported the longest. Ps2 didnt last so long because it could play Ps1 games.

Longest lasting in terms of not breaking, not support.

Out of two PS3 I have owned, I've needed to get them repairs four times in five years. Out of two 360s, they were practically broken out of the box. Out of thee Nintendo home consoles, I've never required a repair.

I had been hoping the PS4 would be able to play PS3 games because the PS3 has overheating problems, and I'd have expected the PS4 would run cooler. Unfortunately, I'll need to keep playing the games on aPS3 that regularly freezes if I spend too much time watching streamed movies and complaining about a lack of memory if I try to use the browser for too long.

I have a very real fear that even the new PS3 Slim I got will start breaking when I actually start playing games on it, even though my Fat PS3 went for a few years before finally YLoDing the first time.

And I had multiple Wii's fail on me and I got a DOA WIIU and the replacement had gamepad problems and I have never had any PS3 problems with my launch day 60 gb fat which has been used daily since then. So whats the longest lasting console now since I can make statements just like you with my own experience as well.

I was talking about my experience, sorry if that wasn't clear.

To reframe; it's a pity the longest lasting consoles in my line of view are the ones that have backwards compatibility, and the ones that don't have it really, really need it.

You've never had the PS3 freeze or YLoD? What do you do? My Slim is about a month old, I hooked it up, updated it fully, downloaded iView to watch TV through the browser, but after a few episodes it says the browser is 'out of memory', sometimes it just freezes and I have to hard reset. Since the Fat broke, I also got a few legs to elevate the system so it's not sitting on the cabinet, and from what I can tell the ventilation should be fine.

Is there a limit to how much the PS3 browser works as a rule, or is that just me, too?
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#66JackalPosted 4/29/2014 4:58:29 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
Backwards compatibility is nice to have, but it's bad when it impacts the system's specs negatively.

By the time the new consoles are released, the last-gen consoles can be had for relatively cheap.

I agree with this. at some point they will need to move on to new hardware that won't be able to play old games. It could start a new cycle of BC or maybe not but the new hardware should be the best that it can be for the new generation and if that means dropping BC hardware and capabilities, even if it's just initially, then I'm for it.

Developers can also move on and start focusing on the new generation too.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#67vashtrichamPosted 4/29/2014 5:48:33 AM
@soeroah

Yes that is a common problem with the browser from what I have heard, But I dont use the browser ever so I am not the best person to ask. And no I havnt had the YLOD or any freezes other then a few Fallout freezes but I bet that is fallouts problem. I really just take care of it like I do my comp, I dont use it if my room gets to warm usually never keep it on over 76 . I clean it once a month with all my other systems using winchestor air duster, I make sure not to turn it on and off alot, and I have it standing vertically. I have 2 ps3's in my house and never had any problems. I have gone through 8 rrod xbox's, a few wii's and Wiiu's, PS2s that had the disc drive error. But surprisingly no ps3 problems and no PS4 problems yet either.
---
#68AvirosbPosted 4/29/2014 5:51:12 AM
but it helps.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#69vashtrichamPosted 4/29/2014 6:05:30 AM
Avirosb posted...
but it helps.

And in some cases it helps raise the price of the new console, which can hurt sales. If this is the case like it was on the PS4 and PS3 then I say leave it off so everyone isnt forced to pay for it. If you want it then buy the previous console instead of forcing everyone to pay for BC
---
#70n00bsaib0tPosted 4/29/2014 6:20:28 AM
vashtricham posted...
Avirosb posted...
but it helps.

And in some cases it helps raise the price of the new console, which can hurt sales. If this is the case like it was on the PS4 and PS3 then I say leave it off so everyone isnt forced to pay for it. If you want it then buy the previous console instead of forcing everyone to pay for BC

Or have "basic" and "deluxe" versions. I've been saying this for years. Honestly, these consoles are all worth 2/3 if not 1/2 what they sell them for. Get rid of the useless crap like bluray/DVD/cd play back, web browsers, apps, etc and just have them play the damn games. You want to see sales skyrocket? Have basic editions that just play the damn games and full on multimedia machines for deluxe versions, even the deluxes can have multiple types like multimedia, backward compatible, etc with prices ranging from $250 to $700.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile