The 'Nintendo Girls Club' Is So Sexist It Made Me Sick.

#1The_Shadow_LinkPosted 4/25/2014 6:43:47 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-girls-club-is-so-sexist-it-made-me-sick-2014-4

In 2013, 59% of Americans played video games, according to the Entertainment Software Association. And of those people, 48% were female.
Many of those women were 18 years old and up. Nintendo sees an opportunity targeting young teenage girls, who might not necessarily be gamers.

But by targeting these young girls with pink bedrooms and "epic" shopping sprees, it seems that Nintendo is only enforcing stereotypes, not helping solve them.

Just having a Nintendo Girls Club is itself sexist: If a boy likes to go shopping in "Animal Crossing," does that mean he's a girl? If girls like to play "Mario Kart" or other sports-based games, do they not get to join the Nintendo Girls Club?

As Not In The Kitchen Anymore's Haniver points out, it's definitely a good thing to encourage girls to game, "but this video series feels more like pandering fluff than anything meaningful. They're just enforcing tired biases," she tells Business Insider.

"I think kids should be taught at a young age that they don't need to be defined by their gender, and that there aren't 'girl' activities and 'boy' activities," she says. "I think the point of the club is to appeal to a young audience in the hopes that they'll become customers later on, and therefore make money for the company."

In an article in The Motley Fool, Leo Sun tries to calm everyone down. "Relax, girl gamers," the headline shouts. "The Nintendo Girls Club isn't meant for you."

His point is "that these ads are intended to convert female non-gamers to the 3DS and Wii U."

And that's the problem: Nintendo is trying to integrate new female players into an already-established boys club, not by showing them all the games that are available and fun, but by perpetuating stereotypes that girls only want to play dress up. It gives viewers descriptions of games, but only focuses on the ways players can customize their characters. It doesn't showcase actual gameplay, it only heralds what fun it is to go shopping and make dresses.

"Part of the reason a lot of women didn't game as kids was because they're told that gaming is something boys do," Haniver says. "If we remove that idea and show that gaming is something that's a hobby for everyone (not making it something for boys or for girls), that's a good start."

The gaming world is a boys club, not least of which because of vapid attempts at luring female gamers, such as the Nintendo Girls Club. In trying to integrate female gamers, Nintendo is just stereotyping them into a corner.

In fact, including the videos on the main channel, rather than relegating them to a pink corner of YouTube, would be a great first step.

"I honestly don't even particularly care for the idea of a channel geared specifically towards girls," Haniver says. "Does having a separate channel just for girls mean that the regular Nintendo channels isn't for girls? Why not have the Nintendo Kids Club, and make it gender-neutral (which is what gaming should be)?"

The channel is only a couple months old and there's definitely room for it to improve and be more inclusive. Hopefully in the future it will cover a little more ground in the gaming world how about "Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker" and "Super Mario 3D World" and lay off the pink.

Certainly an interesting read. What do you think of the Nintendo's Girls Club? Conceptually it's not a terrible to help bridge the market... but I think Nintendo isn't helping matters with this idea.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#2KyoReiseTaisenPosted 4/25/2014 6:45:57 PM
AND America's Pansy Correct culture strikes again.
#3king_maddenPosted 4/25/2014 6:56:23 PM
it is a sexist idea though.
#4pancakegr8Posted 4/25/2014 6:57:59 PM
The_Shadow_Link posted...
What do you think of the Nintendo's Girls Club?

It sucks.
---
What is the recompense for America's mistreatment of the black man and woman?
#5KyoReiseTaisenPosted 4/25/2014 7:01:32 PM
king_madden posted...

No it really isn't. Neo-fems scream for equality but they know jack about what that word and what they REALLY want means. Feminists don't know much about it either.

And we've allowed Boy and GIRL Scouts for centuries. So stop acting like Nintendo doing something similar is a crime.
#6NickTheBlitzPosted 4/25/2014 7:04:28 PM
Statistical research and analysis will show that a majority of teenage females enjoy shopping and colors related to the prime color pink.

That same data will show that a majority of teenage males enjoy sports and colors related to the prime color blue.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. Social justice proponents can spin it all they want, but data doesn't lie.
---
"Love, hope, faith. The greatest of these: love."
#7king_maddenPosted 4/25/2014 8:22:55 PM
KyoReiseTaisen posted...
king_madden posted...

No it really isn't. Neo-fems scream for equality but they know jack about what that word and what they REALLY want means. Feminists don't know much about it either.

And we've allowed Boy and GIRL Scouts for centuries. So stop acting like Nintendo doing something similar is a crime.

are you implying that girl scouts are only about pink things, shopping, cute things and only do "girl things"? if you arent then that comparison is moot here. if you are trying to imply that just because it is a "girl" scout, then it is similar to this, that is also incorrect. nintendo has taken things and dubbed them "girl things". never mind the millions of girls out there who wont agree with it, or the million of boys who also enjoy those things.

people constantly strive to just be accepted as is, not constantly grouped into every single category. let me categorize you by your age, sex , and skin color, even if its the complete opposite of you no biggie right? of course people will be against a club "for them" that doesnt fit anything about them.

"Sexist attitudes may stem from traditional stereotypes of gender roles"

taken from the definition, I think its pretty safe to say that nintendo used traditional stereotypes for this. but let me guess, its cool because others do it, so why not keep it going.
#8MitsumanicPosted 4/25/2014 8:26:32 PM
NickTheBlitz posted...
Statistical research and analysis will show that a majority of teenage females enjoy shopping and colors related to the prime color pink.

That same data will show that a majority of teenage males enjoy sports and colors related to the prime color blue.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. Social justice proponents can spin it all they want, but data doesn't lie.

Because they are socially conditioned to like those things, not biologically inclined. That data only proves socialization is a strong force.
#9tayoni_jPosted 4/25/2014 8:32:45 PM
I didn't know there was a nintendo girl's club?
---
Are the voices in my head bothering you?
#10KyoReiseTaisenPosted 4/25/2014 8:36:23 PM
king_madden posted...
KyoReiseTaisen posted...
king_madden posted...

are you implying that girl scouts are only about pink things, shopping, cute things and only do "girl things"? if you arent then that comparison is moot here. if you are trying to imply that just because it is a "girl" scout, then it is similar to this, that is also incorrect. nintendo has taken things and dubbed them "girl things". never mind the millions of girls out there who wont agree with it, or the million of boys who also enjoy those things.

people constantly strive to just be accepted as is, not constantly grouped into every single category. let me categorize you by your age, sex , and skin color, even if its the complete opposite of you no biggie right? of course people will be against a club "for them" that doesnt fit anything about them.

"Sexist attitudes may stem from traditional stereotypes of gender roles"

taken from the definition, I think its pretty safe to say that nintendo used traditional stereotypes for this. but let me guess, its cool because others do it, so why not keep it going.

And assuming an immediate negative connotation to anything "stereotypical" is beyond stupid. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

If one million out of FIFTY MILLION girls don't like pink, nobody should give a crap. They are the minority. Bravo to them? But seriously big whoop nobody cares here's your cookie.

There's nothing sexist about this. The fact that people want to throw -ists around makes those people idiots and the REAL problem.