!!Semi Finals!! Greatest Mario platformer! mario 64 vs mario world!!

#1chstarPosted 4/27/2014 1:08:58 PM
All time greatest mario platformer? - Results (300 votes)
super mario World
50.33% (151 votes)
Super mario 64
49.67% (149 votes)
This poll is now closed.
whew.... and this is it.

the big one.

easily the biggest match of the tournament, of which the winner will likely take home the gold overall.

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the semi finals!!!!!!!!!!!

During the last bracket of the quarter finals Paper mario the thousand years door won the title of greatest Mario RPG by a single vote!!! by just one vote over super mario RPG and in a match that had over 180 votes that's really impressive. Super Paper mario the thousand years door will go on to face mario kart double dash and the mario strikers series for title of greatest non mario platformer in the next match of the semi finals

See updated bracket in posts 2 and 3

But Now...

it's super mario world vs super mario 64. the greatest of the 3D mario platformers vs the greatest of the 2D mario platformers. Classic vs modern, the pinnacle of 2D platforming vs the game that gave all 3D platformers, mario and non mario alike, their ground work. Nothing more to say, it's the battle of the greats!!!

Both of these games are highly regarded! so tell me, between the two, why did you choose what you did?!

This round will be open until wednesday
#2chstar(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 1:11:34 PM(edited)
opening rounds````````````````````````````quarter finals`````````````````````````````````semi finals``````````````````FINALS

Greatest super mario bros game
original mario bros
super mario bros
super mario bros 2 (JPN)
super mario bros 2 (NA)
super mario bros 3
super mario world (53%)

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````Greatest 2D mario platfomer
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````super mario world (65%)
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````New super mario bros Wii U
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Super mario land series

greatest new super mario bros game
new super mario bros DS
new super mario bros Wii
new super mario bros 3DS
new super mario bros Wii U (70%)

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````overall mario platformer
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````super mario world
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Mario 64

Greatest 3D mario platformer
mario 64 (34%)
mario sunshine
mario galaxy
mario galaxy 2
mario 3D land
mario 3D world

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````Greatest non 2D mario platformer
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````yoshi's island series
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Super mario 64 (73%)
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Wario land series

greatest alternative mario platformer
luigi's mansion series
super princess peach
donkey kong (GB edition)
mario vs donkey kong series
wario land series (41%)
#3chstar(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 1:13:16 PM(edited)
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````greatest overall mario game

Greatest mario and luigi game
superstar saga (55%)
partners in time
bowsers inside story
dream team

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Greatest Mario RPG
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````super mario RPG
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````super star saga
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````thousand years door (45%) (won by a single vote!!!)

Greatest paper mario game
paper mario 64
thousand years door (60%)
super paper mario
sticker star

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Greatest non mario platfomer
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Paper mario the thousand years door
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Mario Kart double Dash
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Mario strikers Series

Greatest mario kart game

mario kart (snes)
mario kart 64
double dash (35%)
super circuit
mario kart DS
mario kart Wii
mario kart 7 (3DS)

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````by round
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Mario kart double dash (by)
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````Mario strikers series (by)

greatest mario sports game
mario tennis series
mario golf series
mario basketball
mario baseball
mario party series
mario strikers series (24%)
dr mario series
mario paint
mario sports mix
mario vs sonic series
#4donkeyjackPosted 4/27/2014 1:10:15 PM
How the hell did Super Mario 64 win the greatest 3D platformer ever?
---
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8iln96Inq1rcx17bo1_250.gif
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t543/necrofir3/zzzzzz_zpsa08e5666.jpg
#5Hiten Mitsurugi SPosted 4/27/2014 1:22:08 PM
64 is the greatest 3D platformer and it isn't even close
---
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U!
#6chstar(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 1:22:48 PM
donkeyjack posted...
How the hell did Super Mario 64 win the greatest 3D platformer ever?

It was between Mario 64 and super mario galaxy 2, with mario 64 beating it by only a few percentage points.

That said I voted for mario 64. As great as the mario galaxy games were, I don't think any 3D mario game as ever been as good as the original. Especially the latest outings on the Wii and 3DS which I don't feel hold up nearly as well
#7ratsalkanePosted 4/27/2014 2:07:25 PM
I love Mario 64. But super mario world is Mario in my eyes. When I think generically of a mario game, super mario world comes to mind. Takes my vote easily
#8chstar(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 6:14:51 PM
close match so far
#9GafemagePosted 4/27/2014 6:18:33 PM(edited)
It's a really tough choice - SMW & SM64 are my favorite Mario games by a long shot. I'll give SM64 the edge for nostalgia value & being my favorite game on its system (there's a few SNES games I like more than SMW), but I'm content with either one winning.
---
Cautiously optimistic about the future of both the Wii-U & Vita.
#10chstar(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 7:07:21 PM
Gafemage posted...
It's a really tough choice - SMW & SM64 are my favorite Mario games by a long shot. I'll give SM64 the edge for nostalgia value & being my favorite game on its system (there's a few SNES games I like more than SMW), but I'm content with either one winning.

Pretty much exactly how I feel