Decision Time: Wii U or 3DS?

#1rigicePosted 4/27/2014 3:47:51 PM
Before I get the topic started, no, this is not a "which is better" topic. Its more of a "what should I get" topic. The Story:

I work at a retail store, this week there looks to be a good deal for the Wii U and the 3DS. For the Wii U, I get a free game with the purchase of the console, 3DS XL is $30 off. Recently, due to the "hard work" myself and others at our company, we are rewarded coupons allowing us %20 off total gm merchandise as well as our usual %10 employee discount.

I can buy a Wii U for ~$220*, with the choice of getting either the Wind Waker bundle with a free game, or Super Mario Bros. U/Super Luigi Bros. U and have Wind Waker as the free game.

I can buy a 3DS XL for ~$140*, maybe buy a 3DS game in the process to go with my regular DS games.

*I'm no math wiz, so I could be off or in the ball park.

Both systems have games I'm interested in, whether its Donkey Kong, Mario, Pokemon, or even Zelda. But since I still have a normal DS, I could hold off on the 3DS until the holiday season or so. This could be my first Nintendo home console since the N64.
---
"Tetris: that rampant sexual symbolism, inserting a piece into a slot repeatedly, is downright vulgar. Game needs an AO rating." LGCulgan
#2MitsumanicPosted 4/27/2014 3:50:07 PM
With MK8 coming in a month, I would say wii u. Also, it has a good number of exclusives that would make it worthwhile anyways.

The 3ds is a safer bet though, and arguably better.

I bought a wii u for bayonetta 2 and mk8, so if those don't sound appealing, get the 3ds instead.
#3DeathSoul2000Posted 4/27/2014 3:50:10 PM
Get whichever one you want.
#4MCG2009Posted 4/27/2014 3:51:06 PM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
Get whichever one you want.

This. Deep down, you know which one you prefer. Go with that one.
#5vattodevPosted 4/27/2014 3:52:13 PM
If you have a DS but no console, I'd go for the Wii U. It opens a few new experiences, like motion controls, party games and couch multiplayer.
---
Have fun with whatever you like instead of telling people that they are having fun the wrong way.
3DS FC: 0748-3443-8121 (Safari: Panchan, Machoke, Riolu)
#6MithrilMonarchPosted 4/27/2014 3:52:45 PM
Get the 3DS.

Wii U's not a bad console, but the 3DS has some great games on it.
---
"What are you doing, Flame Mammoth? Don't be stupid!"
"DURR HURR HURR HURR"
#7Shadowbird_RHPosted 4/27/2014 3:54:43 PM(edited)
I was leaning 3DS until the last paragraph, as 3DS has had more time to develop its library. However, since 3DS and Wii U are both backwards compatible and you have a DS, but not a Wii, by buying a Wii U, you gain access to Wii's library as well as Wii U's, whereas the 3DS only opens up 3DS games to you.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#8Granadico_Posted 4/27/2014 3:56:53 PM
I say Wii U, since Smash and MK8 are coming out, plus you essentially get a Wii (which you never had), and you save more money since all the discounts are % based.
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) and M&L:DT (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#9HayashiTakaraPosted 4/27/2014 3:58:25 PM
3DS, the library is just better at the moment. Get a Wii U later when the better games are released later this year. It's not like you won't get any more money this year... right?
#10MarioGamer12345Posted 4/27/2014 4:05:59 PM
Get the Wii U

Mario Kart 8 is around the Corner and is going to be awesome.