Nintendo NEEDS to make a player licensed sports game

#31guedesbrawlPosted 5/3/2014 9:26:36 AM
i'd rather have Mario sports than boring, realistic sports. It's not like nromal sports games wouldn't be multiplats and thus would sell like crap on the wii u anyways
---
"Clones are bad!" "Tier Lists don't exist!" ... really now? >_>
Chrom is the protagonist of FE:A, not Robin. He should be in smash 4.
#32retrogoodsPosted 5/3/2014 9:28:40 AM
guedesbrawl posted...
i'd rather have Mario sports than boring, realistic sports. It's not like nromal sports games wouldn't be multiplats and thus would sell like crap on the wii u anyways

So have Nintendo keep making platformers or anything with Mario slapped on it? Gotcha.
---
Uncle Rico a better option than most backup quarterbacks
#33king_maddenPosted 5/3/2014 9:56:32 AM
HiddenRoar posted...
Pretty sure this will turn out bad.

Like how EA got sued for making the players for their football game resemble too closely to real life players.

I believe that was just for college football, where you aren't allowed to use players images, but the fact that players would have same skin color, number, and similar accessories the players felt they should be compensated for their likeness being used. This wouldn't affect any other football game.

If Nintendo made a football game its a good chance it would be one of wiius highest selling games (even though that's not saying much).
#34JobocanPosted 5/3/2014 1:58:38 PM
king_madden posted...
this is about a real sport with real people though.

That's boring though.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#35iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 2:04:26 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
MVP 05 was great, shame it skipped the Gamecube. At that point the PS2 couldn't run the game nearly as well as Gamecube could have. In the PS2 version home run showdown was gimped as the framerate was lowered making the mode basically unplayable. While in MVP 04 Gamecube ran that mode like butter.

MVP 05 didn't skip the GC. I own it on GC.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#36iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 2:08:20 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Just to add to my point, Nintendo works closely with Next Level games. Their background is NHL Hitz and Mario Strikers. But what did Nintendo have them make? Luigi's Mansion, a game that can sell in Japan.

WAIT!!! Next Level made NHL HITZ?!?!?

That's one of my favorite games ever . The team customization is amazingly deep, but you can also screw around with crazy proportions, Clown heads, and a laundry list of cheat codes.

If Nintendo doesn't publish a exaggerated physics sports game now, IMA be pissed.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#37iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 3:43:23 PM
Eoin posted...
The problem with sports games is the strength of the competition and the locality of a lot of major sports.

Several major sports are very unpopular outside of North America, such as American football, ice hockey, basketball, baseball - while all of these sports do have followings outside North America, especially ice hockey, the major portion of their audience is still based in the US. Nintendo releasing an American football game would do practically nothing for them in Europe. In European terms, they'd be better off devoting the resources needed for that game to almost anything else (there is a European audience for the sport, but it's served sufficiently well by Madden, and in Europe even that's a very niche release).

The one sport which is truly global (soccer) is very much covered on consoles. You say in your original post that EA makes the only soccer game - that's just not true, since there's also Pro Evolution Soccer (and to a lesser extent Football Manager - there's others too but none are regular releases in big franchises). Competing against FIFA and PES with anything - no matter how differentiated - is close to impossible, and we know that because just about every single major publisher has tried to compete, and failed. That includes games from plenty of companies that thought that FIFA and PES were strictly sims and that therefore there was a niche for a less realistic game (both of which are flawed assumptions).

The market for games about each individual sport may seem "severely lacking" to you, but this isn't because there's space for a competitor. It's because potential competitors have been routinely killed so badly that the companies responsible have simply left the market. That doesn't mean that there's space for Nintendo to jump in.

Sorry, I'm not too into soccer VGs, so I made a guess there. Everything else I checked though

As for the space, I'd argue there is plenty, particularly in the non-realistic niche. So anything with cartoony visuals or exaggerated physics. Midway leaving the industry was a huge blow to that style of game.

But even in realistic games, I'd argue there is most certainly space outside of Soccer. While football is mostly exclusive to the States, it's massive here. Baseball exists in Japan and several countries in the Americas.

Basketball is rather universal as well. But all of these sports only have one developer, and with baseball and football, it's entirely due to exclusive contracts. I don't really know too much about basketball.

Also, considering that Nintendo systems lack player licensed games almost entirely, that gives them an area of very little competition.
---
#38Voysa_ReezunPosted 5/3/2014 3:48:19 PM
Nintendo does arcade-style sports games, but a baseball sim would be perfect. I'm pretty sure the NBA wants to sell their license to the highest bidder at some point soon, and the NFL is locked up by EA. However, Nintendo has had success making good MLB games AND baseball is so underrepresented on consoles that MLB had to go out and facilitate an RBI Baseball revival. Unless you get a PS3 or PS4, there is no game for baseball sim enthusiasts.

They should revive Ken Griffey Jr. baseball ASAP (or do Felix Hernandez baseball or Robinson Cano baseball if they want a current Mariner to front the game).

I wonder what Nintendo would do with sim hockey as NHL is also underrepresented with games relative to the market that I believe is out there.
---
My PS4 Top 5 (so far): 1. Rayman Legends; 2. inFamous: Second Son; 3. Child of Light; 4. Don't Starve: Console Edition; 5 Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
#39iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 10:21:52 PM
Voysa_Reezun posted...
Nintendo does arcade-style sports games, but a baseball sim would be perfect. I'm pretty sure the NBA wants to sell their license to the highest bidder at some point soon, and the NFL is locked up by EA. However, Nintendo has had success making good MLB games AND baseball is so underrepresented on consoles that MLB had to go out and facilitate an RBI Baseball revival. Unless you get a PS3 or PS4, there is no game for baseball sim enthusiasts.

They should revive Ken Griffey Jr. baseball ASAP (or do Felix Hernandez baseball or Robinson Cano baseball if they want a current Mariner to front the game).

I wonder what Nintendo would do with sim hockey as NHL is also underrepresented with games relative to the market that I believe is out there.

Not to mention Nintendo OWNS AN ENTIRE BASEBALL TEAM.
---