Do you like Nintendos recent "Retro" trend?

#1iKhan88Posted 5/4/2014 3:52:52 PM
And yes they are on a retro trend.

They've been SUPER into 2D Platformers, particularly ones that pay homage to older franchises. The last Zelda was an homage to A Link to the Past. Their 3D platformers are fitted with retro Mario mechanics and controls. The Koopalings, who were previously relics of the SNES era, have found their way into more and more Mario games, now displacing Bowser Jr. from 3D World and Mario Kart.

So I'm curious, do you like this or does it bother you? It really pisses me off. I grew up with the modern post N64 era, so a lot of these things are completely alien, and uninteresting to me. And they are taking the place of ideas, characters and franchises that I hold dear.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#2RatheVPosted 5/4/2014 3:54:53 PM
iKhan88 posted...
now displacing Bowser Jr. from 3D World

That never happened. Get pissed about real problems, not ones of your imagination.
#3GoldenJoe24Posted 5/4/2014 3:55:33 PM
Love it. It's nice to go back to the golden age, even if Nintendo is the only one doing it.
#4arvilinoPosted 5/4/2014 3:56:06 PM
iKhan88 posted...

They've been SUPER into 2D Platformers, particularly ones that pay homage to older franchises. The last Zelda was an homage to A Link to the Past. Their 3D platformers are fitted with retro Mario mechanics and controls. The Koopalings, who were previously relics of the SNES era, have found their way into more and more Mario games, now displacing Bowser Jr. from 3D World and Mario Kart.

So I'm curious, do you like this or does it bother you? It really pisses me off. I grew up with the modern post N64 era, so a lot of these things are completely alien, and uninteresting to me. And they are taking the place of ideas, characters and franchises that I hold dear.

Don't try and even start an argument if you haven't actually played the game.
---
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995
#5iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2014 3:57:24 PM
RatheV posted...
iKhan88 posted...
now displacing Bowser Jr. from 3D World

That never happened. Get pissed about real problems, not ones of your imagination.

Bowser Jr. doesn't appear in 3D World. But huh, I thought the Koopalings did. Well at least they weren't in I guess. But everything else still stands
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#6iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2014 3:58:08 PM
arvilino posted...
iKhan88 posted...

Don't try and even start an argument if you haven't actually played the game.

I have played it. It's overrated as all hell. Controls are ass, and it's hard to judge depth.
---
#7Dragon NexusPosted 5/4/2014 6:02:30 PM
Sorry, recent? Their entire franchise base is built on a foundation of nostalgia.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde
#8Baha05Posted 5/4/2014 6:04:09 PM
Doing 2D platformers =/= Retro
---
"DLC has always and still means all downloaded content, but of course Nintendo fanboys always did and will bend logic to suit their ignorance."
#9ZeroArcheryPosted 5/4/2014 6:05:03 PM
Lol this topic went no where like TC was hoping.
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#10Dragon NexusPosted 5/4/2014 7:01:25 PM
ZeroArchery posted...
Lol this topic went no where like TC was hoping.

From my short experience here, that seems common for these boards.
---
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde