Do you like Nintendos recent "Retro" trend?

#11iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2014 8:03:49 PM
Baha05 posted...
Doing 2D platformers =/= Retro

I agree. If we got a series of new 3D Platformer IPs, or the emphasis was on new ideas in the Kirby and Wario series, I wouldn't call it retro.

But the entire NSMB franchise is built on nostalgia. The controls and mechanics of 3D Land and World also emulate older Mario mechanics. DKCTF tributes the older DKC games. Yoshi's New Island has been called a copy of Super Mario World 2. And again, Koopalings replacing the BJ in Mario Kart. ALBW is better in that is works hard to create something that's still novel, but it still harkens back to the SNES era.

I guess I can only hope for the future when the N64 era becomes "retro" or "nostalgic" for Nintendo.

Also, I'll add this. There are only a handful of series that I enjoy more in 2D than I do in 3D. And in nearly all those cases, its due flaws that have nothing to do with the dimension or camera perspective.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#12NovaLevossidaPosted 5/4/2014 8:09:34 PM
Retro is less of a correct term than uninspired is. Nintendo constantly rereleases their franchises in new games each console generation, well, most of their franchises anyway. They've been fairly good in the past about making those games feel interesting and fresh. Not so with the Wii U.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#13iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2014 8:14:47 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
Retro is less of a correct term than uninspired is. Nintendo constantly rereleases their franchises in new games each console generation, well, most of their franchises anyway. They've been fairly good in the past about making those games feel interesting and fresh. Not so with the Wii U.

No, Retro is what I mean. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is a DK Platformer that tries some new things mechanically. A lot of Nintendo's recent games have been trying to harken back to SNES ideas and mechanics, or sometimes the entire overworld like in ALttP. I get that people are nostalgic for these games, but I'm really much more interested in Nintendo modernizing than them taking a retrospective of their first two gens.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#14Murderstorm117Posted 5/4/2014 8:16:41 PM
No, alot of their wii u 2d platformers feel like hd versions of wii games
---
NNID Mstorm
Proud owner of PS4 since Day 1 Proud owner of Xbox One since 3/11/14
#15iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2014 8:22:04 PM
Murderstorm117 posted...
No, alot of their wii u 2d platformers feel like hd versions of wii games

alot of 2D Wii U platformers? That's an interesting idea

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2z5tdL9vP1qajb5l.png
---
#16NovaLevossidaPosted 5/4/2014 8:25:03 PM(edited)
It strikes me less as an attempt at being retro (LBW and NES Remix games aside) and more an attempt at just pushing games out for the sake of having them out there. Even NSMB series which started as retro has grown into an uninspired sequel-fest. 3D World was fairly good (and even then, this is less retro and more downright insulting when you look at interviews for their design decisions), but that was a year after system launch, and the next ambitious one is half a year later with Kart.

Everything before and in between is safe and uninspired. I see it much less as retro and more of them doing things by the books rather than having to come up with new ideas or be creative.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter