Article: Why Zelda can't save the Wii U

#1a_fartn_SpartanPosted 5/4/2014 7:24:10 PM
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/03/why-the-new-legend-of-zelda-for-wii-u-cant-save-ni.aspx

I don't agree with this at all. The writer makes assumptions based solely off of sales. Too much dealing with correlation without looking into what is causing Zelda sales to go down.

Now don't get me wrong, it could be completely possible that people are getting tired of Zelda. But, Skyward Sword certainly shouldn't be the deciding factor. When you release 2 games from the same series on the same console, the 2nd one ALWAYS sells less. Not to mention Skyward Sword came out when the motion control fad was over, and most people's Wiis were collecting dust in 2011.

Then there's A Link Between Worlds. It's only been out for 6 months, so 2.1 million units isn't bad. Phantom Hourglass only sold 3.2 units, but it's install base was much larger. The DS sold 93 million units at the end of 2008, 6 months after Phantom Hourglass was released. In comparison, the 3DS has only sold 44 million. 4.7% of of 3DS users bought A Link Between Worlds, and 3.4% of DS users bought Phantom Hourglass in the first 6 months...and the percentages never higher after that.

Now I personally believe Zelda will NOT "save" the Wii U, but that won't be because there is a lack of interest in the series. And if you didn't read the article all the way through, the writer claims that Mario Kart 8 could be the system's savior...only based off the amazing sales it had for the Wii. So even if he may be a Zelda-hater, he doesn't completely bash Nintendo as a whole.
---
Battletoads, Killer Instinct, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, DK Country, Diddy Racing, Banjo, Conker.
Rare, you will be missed.
#2FlyinTonitePosted 5/4/2014 7:26:49 PM
I don't think any singular entity will "save" the Wii U. A constant barrage of amazing retail releases would but Nintendo seems content with 200 million dollar annual losses.
---
I tell the ladies I have an active social life, unfortunately GameFAQs is my social life.
#3iKhan88Posted 5/4/2014 7:29:05 PM
Don't read articles from the fool. They are a faux-investment news site that prefers to write the most controversial sounding tech articles as click bait. I don't just say this because of their Nintendo content, it's the same for Sony, Microsoft, Apple, and Samsung.

They really do hold true to their name.

If you want investment news, Forbes or WSJ are far superior.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#4_DogPosted 5/4/2014 7:32:41 PM
iKhan88 posted...
Don't read articles from the fool. They are a faux-investment news site that prefers to write the most controversial sounding tech articles as click bait. I don't just say this because of their Nintendo content, it's the same for Sony, Microsoft, Apple, and Samsung.

Forbes? Oh dear...
#5iKhan88Posted 5/4/2014 7:34:42 PM
_Dog posted...
iKhan88 posted...

Forbes? Oh dear...

I'm not saying Forbes is an ideal, but anyone is better than the Motley Fool. It's as if a 15 year old writes their articles.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#6nickvd8Posted 5/4/2014 7:35:06 PM
iKhan88 posted...

This.

For some reason there's always links to their articles on the front page of Yahoo for me. I never click them, after the first few I quickly learned they just like to cause controversy from nothing to get clicks and comments. You can tell just from their article titles they're doing this.
#7a_fartn_Spartan(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2014 7:37:16 PM
iKhan88 posted...

I usually only click on them when they have actual information like sales numbers or something, because it's easy to miss that actual articles and news on these boards and I don't frequent IGN, GameSpot, or other videogame news site.
---
Battletoads, Killer Instinct, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, DK Country, Diddy Racing, Banjo, Conker.
#8iKhan88Posted 5/4/2014 7:39:57 PM
a_fartn_Spartan posted...
iKhan88 posted...

I usually only click on them when they have actual information like sales numbers or something, because it's easy to miss that actual articles and news on these boards and I don't frequent IGN, GameSpot, or other videogame news site.

The thing is IGN and Gamespot are more reliable than the fool, and they are better (not good, but better) about clickbait.
---
#9VanderZooPosted 5/4/2014 7:40:14 PM
I agree with the author, and I thought the same thing before I even read this article. Skyward Sword's sales say a lot.
#10a_fartn_Spartan(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2014 7:42:59 PM
VanderZoo posted...
I agree with the author, and I thought the same thing before I even read this article. Skyward Sword's sales say a lot.

Nearly even single Nintendo game in existance that is the 2nd game in a series to come out on the same console has sold significantly worse.
---