I loved the overworld in Wind Waker

#1MilesTeg420Posted 5/6/2014 7:41:09 AM
I know the game gets a lot of hate because of the ocean and sailing. However, for me it really brought a sense of excitement to the exploration.

You never knew what landmass you were going to come to next. Small, large, fire, ice, who knows? The game really nails that feeling of entering the unknown. Due to the divided structure because of the ocean, there is no sense of continuity; anything can come next.

Filling out the map, hunting for treasures were fun distractions in the ocean. Finding little mini dungeons and Great Fairys along the way. Each square on the map offers something, although often times not right away.

The feeling of being all alone on a vast ocean. It's night time, it's raining, there's tornados and sharks. It feels dangerous to get in the water. Although of course, in reality there isn't much to hurt you out there, but the atmosphere is what counts.

Backtracking, while admittedly pretty excessive eventually, benefits from having many islands that you couldn't even enter at first. Instead of "Oh man, I'm coming back here?" like Skyward Sword, it's "Oh cool, now I get to see what's here!".

The graphics made the ocean look really cool too. Nothing ever looks ugly out there. It's simply beautiful.

So I really liked the overworld. It did a nice job of hiding the emptiness of the typical 3D Zelda overworld. The sense of the unknown, the exploration, the atmosphere, how ultra stylish everything is. I believe Wind Waker is a standout accomplishment in the world of videogames for these reasons.

Of course there are other criticisms of the game that are very valid as well, such as amount of dungeons and just how damn easy the game is. However I still think it's a special game.
#2NovaLevossidaPosted 5/6/2014 7:45:13 AM
Overworld? More like overwater, am I right?

For what it's worth, I did enjoy sailing in WW. It was rather relaxing and fun. Though I think Assassin's Creed IV soundly beats it in ocean voyages and things to do out there.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#3MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2014 7:48:16 AM
NovaLevossida posted...
Overworld? More like overwater, am I right?

For what it's worth, I did enjoy sailing in WW. It was rather relaxing and fun. Though I think Assassin's Creed IV soundly beats it in ocean voyages and things to do out there.

I haven't played the game, but I am curious to some time just because of comparing it to WW. AC3 really soured me on the IP so I haven't even really considered picking it up yet.
#4NovaLevossidaPosted 5/6/2014 7:50:03 AM
It's not an AC game. It's a sailing and pirating game that has some AC elements in it. In all seriousness, I'm not a fan of the series overall, but that game is really damn good.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#5Puckswack12Posted 5/6/2014 7:51:50 AM
I also dislike ac games. Black flag was amazing if you like sailing and pirates and stuff.
---
Yup
#6trenkenPosted 5/6/2014 7:55:55 AM(edited)
I was ok with the sailing in the HD version. I loathed it in the original though. It was too slow, not enough to do, and having to stop the game to change the wind just to be able to turn was a nightmare for me and prevented me from ever finishing the game.

My big complaint about WW is the dungeons. Idk if this is a fact, but it feels like theres less of them than any other Zelda game, and 2 of them, the Earth and Wind Temples I just thought were ugly and boring. But overall I like the art style and the sailing is fine in the HD version.

I guess when you compare it to say a Link Between Worlds, where there is a lot to do on every screen in the game, fighting enemies, searching for hidden items, collecting rupees, the overworld in WW is very boring. Theres just not nearly enough to do outside of filling out the map and getting treasure which is usually just rupees anyway. There really should have been more enemies in the ocean, and some sort of way to attack them easily from the boat.

---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero