Why do none of Nintendo's other IP's ever sell close to Mario and Zelda?

#1BaronVladzPosted 5/7/2014 12:04:44 PM
After seeing the best selling softwares list on the Wii U, I'm puzzled. We all know that Mario has always been a flagship for Nintendo, with Zelda and Donkey Kong games following close. But what about IP's like Pikmin and W101? How come these have such low attachment rates compared to the number of consoles sold? Out of the >6 milion consoles in peoples' homes; less than 1/6 of the owners actually bought these games, while >2/3 bought NSMBU and >1/3 bought NSM3DW?
#2VyersPosted 5/7/2014 12:08:33 PM
Why'd you exclude Pokémon? I know that this is on the Wii U forum, but you're talking about their flagships, of which Pokémon is seriously competitive w/ Mario for the title of #1. these days. I'd say it goes Mario > Pokémon > Super Smash Bros. > Donkey Kong > The Legend of Zelda.

That said, Mario sells more because people like Mario. Nintendo alone cannot push a title to crazy sales.
---
Couple o' YouTube channels. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNegativeHippie http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear
#3KyoReiseTaisenPosted 5/7/2014 12:09:12 PM
Because idiots.

Tho I do SORT of like that their other IPs DON'T get whored out to the level of Mario.
#4king_maddenPosted 5/7/2014 12:10:19 PM
Its really only games with Mario in it that tend to be the biggest sellers. Going off Wii sales Zelda, dk, Kirby, and some of the other usuals, their sales are overrated here. They mostly sold under 5 mil across 100 mil, yet some will say they expect huge sales for them on wiiu.
#5BaronVladz(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 12:13:06 PM
Vyers posted...
Why'd you exclude Pokémon? I know that this is on the Wii U forum, but you're talking about their flagships, of which Pokémon is seriously competitive w/ Mario for the title of #1. these days. I'd say it goes Mario > Pokémon > Super Smash Bros. > Donkey Kong > The Legend of Zelda.

That said, Mario sells more because people like Mario. Nintendo alone cannot push a title to crazy sales.

Pokemon is certainly one of their flagships, but yea I was focusing on Wii U so I forgot to mention it; mostly referring to the sales figure for the top wii u games released in this link

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-sales-reach-6-17-million-as-nintendo-reveals-best-selling-games-to-date/1100-6419486/
#6JobocanPosted 5/7/2014 12:17:47 PM
Because what people actually mean when they say they want more new stuff from Nintendo is "more Mario please, I probably wouldn't buy anything else".

Nintendo does new IPs somewhat frequently, but those get largely ignored, and that's mostly because they're unfamiliar. Wonderful 101 is an amazing new Nintendo IP, and it sold less than bottled farts. Some of it is absolutely because of lack of marketing, but also because it's different and people are scared of different.

This goes for most game companies though, it's not uniquely a Nintendo thing. Bulletstorm and Vanquish were both the top games of their respective genres in the 7th gen and no one cared, instead buying the latest crappy CoD or Gears.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
Account got warned because I was marking trolls for moderation...
#7KyoReiseTaisenPosted 5/7/2014 12:20:58 PM
Jobocan posted...
Because what people actually mean when they say they want more new stuff from Nintendo is "more Mario please, I probably wouldn't buy anything else".

Nintendo does new IPs somewhat frequently, but those get largely ignored, and that's mostly because they're unfamiliar. Wonderful 101 is an amazing new Nintendo IP, and it sold less than bottled farts. Some of it is absolutely because of lack of marketing, but also because it's different and people are scared of different.

This goes for most game companies though, it's not uniquely a Nintendo thing. Bulletstorm and Vanquish were both the top games of their respective genres in the 7th gen and no one cared, instead buying the latest crappy CoD or Gears.

I bought Vanquish and Bulletstorm, so go eat one.

Also, W101 isn't interesting to me because it is a gross waste of a Viewtiful Joe orgy.
#8IzraeilPosted 5/7/2014 1:12:23 PM
Because Nintendo games run only on Nostalgia not because they have good content, and games like Pikmin and W101 or anything else Nintendo has came up with for like the last two decades has the nostalgic quality to blind people, that's why any of them are lucky to break a million sold mark.
#9GencoilPosted 5/7/2014 1:28:36 PM
Pokémon.

/topic
---
www.klustr.net || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil
#10WereshovelPosted 5/7/2014 1:31:14 PM
This lengthy list of Mario games shows that people only buy Nintendo systems for Mario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_featuring_Mario
---
Please understand.