How close is the Wii U to death If Smash and Mario Kart fail to change the tide?

#31MichaelDeAngeloPosted 5/9/2014 8:43:24 AM
Even if Wii U never picks up through the next couple of years, they can't cut it early. It would kill consumer trust, and their next console would sell even worse. It would spell the beginning of the end for Nintendo.

At the end of the day, the Wii U does actually now have some pretty fantastic games. It's just not enough for some people.
---
Alundra is the best top-down Zelda game since Link to the Past.
Darksiders is the best 3D Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.
#32samuraigaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 8:44:04 AM
shinstrike posted...
not sure its proper to say Vita is close to death anymore. maybe if it was a year ago when it didnt have games, but now it has a ton. ontop of that it has a lot of functionality with both the PS3 and the PS4.

All things said and done, Sony is OK with the current Vita situation. It has a market in Japan and is slowly growing elsewhere. For Sony, the Vita is an afterthought. The Wii U is essential for Nintendo, they can't keep it on the market if it's a total flop.
#33arvilinoPosted 5/9/2014 8:47:41 AM(edited)
CubeTV posted...
Gencoil posted...
Aren't people kind of... crazy about Smash Bros? The series has like a fanatical following, with people going ape-poop over every little detail that Sakurai reveals. I think it will provide plenty of Wii U sales.

It's on the 3DS, coming out sooner too, and the Wii U one is coming out during Winter (so maybe even in 2015).

The Smash fanbase are pretty picky over control schemes though so I feel Smash for 3DS isn't going to be the game of choice over the WiiU version, especially for tournament level play.

samuraigaiden posted...
shinstrike posted...
not sure its proper to say Vita is close to death anymore. maybe if it was a year ago when it didnt have games, but now it has a ton. ontop of that it has a lot of functionality with both the PS3 and the PS4.

All things said and done, Sony is OK with the current Vita situation. It has a market in Japan and is slowly growing elsewhere. For Sony, the Vita is an afterthought. The Wii U is essential for Nintendo, they can't keep it on the market if it's a total flop.

That can't be true, didn't it only sell ten thousand units across the entirety of march in the US?
---
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995
#34VanderZooPosted 5/9/2014 8:45:26 AM
samuraigaiden posted...
shinstrike posted...

Is the Vita actually profitable for Sony?
#35Megamushroom666Posted 5/9/2014 8:47:10 AM
If Mario Kart 8 doesn't spark a significant sales increase for Wii U then I don't see much hope. MK8 has a much broader reach than Smash Bros.
---
Girl gets gangsta with a shovel: youtu.be/xi-WLSEUV4U
www.SNACKEROO.com - Snacks on camera.
#36JumpmandkPosted 5/9/2014 8:48:54 AM
The Wiiu will last as long as "N" wants to throw funds behind it. Their stating that the system is no longer loosing money to manufacture it, so it's in better shape now than it's been. If they get some killer games out, they might begin to return to profits next year, but that will take some effort, and "N" and Iwata really don't seem up to the task currently.

I don't think any game they have shown will change the tide dramatically, but they will help. Sadly, I'm no fan of either series, and the only game on the horizon that I'm interested in, but hasn't been released yet is Bayonetta. This game has no chance to sale well, but it will be a good hardcore game for those who are interested.
#37samuraigaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 9:02:11 AM
VanderZoo posted...
samuraigaiden posted...
shinstrike posted...

Is the Vita actually profitable for Sony?

Probably not. But that's my point. Sony has a ton of failed products on the market. They don't need to live off the Vita, and they can keep it going as part of the overall PlayStation strategy despite not making money on it. If I owned a Vita, I wouldn't expect AAA games for it in the future, but fans of Visual Novels and niche Japanese stuff will keep getting their fix.

Nintendo is completely different, they have effectively two hardware products on the market. They can and should insist on the Wii U as a long as there is a possibility that the console picks up, but if SSB and MK8 don't do it, I can't see Zelda and X doing it.
#38a_fartn_SpartanPosted 5/9/2014 9:12:41 AM
I didn't look at any of the replies, so I'll just say this. If Smash Bros and Mario Kart don't increase sales, no game will. Next year we'll probably see Zelda, Pokemon, and maybe Metroid, but it still won't be enough. I've said it for a long time, and I'll say it now. Nintendo NEEDS to do a variety of different things to make their console attractive. Price drops, bundles, free e-shop promotions, and maybe even consider a GamePad-less bundle.

If Nintendo doesn't meet their own sales predictions this year, then they have to do something drastic. And if they don't, I'll consider that as them just giving up.
---
Battletoads, Killer Instinct, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, DK Country, Diddy Racing, Banjo, Conker.
Rare, you will be missed.
#39QuestionmarktariusPosted 5/9/2014 10:55:08 AM
fon1988 posted...
Holiday 2014.

The Wii U is lowered to $199 on blackfriday.

Comes with Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Free Game when linked to club Nintendo, Zelda U Demo, and Super Mario 3D World.

The world goes insane and the Wii U sales increase to 200 million.

Not an unreasonable prediction, but unreasonable results.

Two free games and pricedrop to $250 is more reasonable. Sales finally popping over 10m is probable.
The next year, if they haven't given up yet, we'll see a slight hardware revision. Dropping Wii support (as if it's competently supported now) is unlikely but possible.