Next Gen Nintendo needs to make the most powerful system on the market

#11iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2014 9:52:37 PM
nilesthebrave posted...
iKhan88 posted...
nilesthebrave posted...
And both had better libraries than the systems they were weaker to <_<, meanwhile PS1 and PS2 were the weakest and dominated

You're completely missing the point. Did you even read the OP?

Indeed I did. Then I pointed out how N64 was more powerful than PS1 and you countered with 3DO(lol like anyone knew it existed at the time) and Saturn(lol who's paying that much, especially after CD and 32X were awful?) and the cartridge(semi-valid), but conveniently forget that the N64 is where they began to lose all the third party support.

The GCN was only marginally weaker than the Xbox and outperformed it in some areas, and they bled the rest of the third party.

Having weird hardware with weird controllers turns devs off, not the lack of graphical power.

It wasn't a counter, it was a clarification. The N64 lost support of the established reason of cartridges. I may hate CDs as a medium (despite their greater storage space, they had a dearth of features that other media did have), but I recognize that the change was necessary, and it killed Nintendo.

The GC had distinctly improved 3rd party support. I have about 40 games for the system, and most are 3rd Party. However, it still lagged because of a lack of online and (I forgot this one), the mini-discs.

You are making assumptions based on correlation, but correlation=/= causation. You see the effects of lack of online and cartridges not just from correlations but from developer interviews, and other data such as increased cost or a lack of feature support.

And yes, the Wii and Wii U's lack of support was due to lack of power, it's completely asinine to say that's not the case. Batman Arkham City simply could not run on Wii.

Saying "Weird controllers turns devs off" ('weird' hardware does, as in difficult to program for or expensive like cartridges) is the dumbest thing that is still said among fans today. It's so senseless that it actually sounds satirical. Do you honestly think devs give a rats ass what a system's main control scheme is? They aren't just going to give up because they think they'd have to incorporate the Gamepad or motion controls. If they see money in porting, but don't want to use the Gamepad, they'll just go with the Pro Controller. All they need is the console power and the install base.

Now the reason I say most powerful is because that's what Nintendo needs to get 3rd parties BACK. The reason they have difficulty regaining 3rd parties is because a lot of gamers have become established on other systems. They aren't going to buy CoD on their Wii or Wii U. They'll buy it on their PS4 or PS3. The way to change that is to create hardware that can have a visual appeal greater than other platforms. That will rip those audiences away.
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#12Lefty128kPosted 5/8/2014 10:01:09 PM
iKhan88 posted...
Those of you who know me know I usually don't care too much about power. BUT, I think if Nintendo took a gen to really create a powerful system with strong online feature, they could mend the bridges with 3rd parties that have been broken for a very long time.

Once those are fixed, it will be harder to lose them because there becomes a base of fans on Nintendo systems. The problem is that Nintendo hasn't had that strong relationship with 3rd parties, so the slightest error kills them.

They make weak-for-gen consoles like Wii and Wii U and can't even come up with anything that taxes those systems hardware.

They wouldn't know what to do with a powerful system.
---
"Hey kid, tell me something, isn't it past your bed time? Ha ha! Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." -Doc Louis
#13nbean16Posted 5/8/2014 10:03:04 PM
Saturn more powerful than n64? hahahahahahahaha
#14iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2014 10:05:10 PM
Lefty128k posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Those of you who know me know I usually don't care too much about power. BUT, I think if Nintendo took a gen to really create a powerful system with strong online feature, they could mend the bridges with 3rd parties that have been broken for a very long time.

Once those are fixed, it will be harder to lose them because there becomes a base of fans on Nintendo systems. The problem is that Nintendo hasn't had that strong relationship with 3rd parties, so the slightest error kills them.

They make weak-for-gen consoles like Wii and Wii U and can't even come up with anything that taxes those systems hardware.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/SuperMarioGalaxy.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c3/Xenoblade-Landscape.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/251/673/9/S2516739/slug/l/wiiu-mk8-201403-02-1.jpg
---
"That does not excuse the things we have done. It is merely a motive, not a justification" --Kratos Aurion
#15_Five_Posted 5/8/2014 10:42:11 PM(edited)
It's ridiculous that whenever someone posts one of these topics, people always mention the GameCube and bash it. The GC, despite being advanced and having games that still look good today, never was the most advanced system of it's generation nor was it *all* about advanced tech specs. Nintendo's goal was to create a well-balanced system that was easy to develop for, not to have the most powerful system. Not only that, but the majority of the GC's first-party games are more about fun gameplay than graphics.

People also seem to be forgetting that the weakest system isn't necessarily always the one that wins. Sega Genesis is weaker than SNES. SNES won. Dreamcast is the weakest of the sixth generation consoles. PS2 won. Wii U is the weakest system of this generation. PS4 is in the lead so far.
---
Four TV's, four GameCube's, and four Game Boy Player's linked together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67OTLNWZKwo
#16Punda_PrimePosted 5/8/2014 10:47:17 PM
_Five_ posted...
It's ridiculous that whenever someone posts one of these topics, people always mention the GameCube and bash it. The GC, despite being advanced and having games that still look good today, never was the most advanced system of it's generation nor was it *all* about advanced tech specs. Nintendo's goal was to create a well-balanced system that was easy to develop for, not to have the most powerful system. Not only that, but the majority of the GC's first-party games are more about fun gameplay than graphics.

People also seem to be forgetting that the weakest system isn't necessarily always the one that wins. Sega Genesis is weaker than SNES. SNES won. Dreamcast is the weakest of the sixth generation consoles. PS2 won. Wii U is the weakest system of this generation. PS4 is in the lead so far.

The gamecube controller can go **** itself, though. Which brings up the main point of weird controller and control schemes turning off more devs than lack of raw processing power.
---
Man who hesitates is not only lost but also miles from next exit
#17iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2014 10:48:45 PM
_Five_ posted...

The only rule to go by is that the most powerful system never wins, which has been the case, but like I said, that's a weak correlation, not logical or evidential proof.
---
#18nilesthebravePosted 5/8/2014 10:49:15 PM
I haven't seen any GCN bashing, other than the objectively bad idea of mini discs.
---
Anti-boner is a dangerous material. I isolated pure anti-boner and that is the reason why Germany has negative population growth.-Benamingaska
#19EternalDividePosted 5/8/2014 10:53:15 PM
Their next console doesn't need to be the most powerful. It just needs to be comparable to the competitors.
That plus a unified online account system and a decent HDD is all they need to do.
---
Square Enix: Crushing dreams since 2003
Elbow Rocket!
#20_Five_Posted 5/8/2014 10:59:26 PM
The only rule to go by is that the most powerful system never wins

Between the SNES and Genesis, the SNES is the most advanced of the two overall. It came out on top. And while I hope the Wii U does better in the future, the PS4 is so far in the lead.
---
Four TV's, four GameCube's, and four Game Boy Player's linked together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67OTLNWZKwo