Donkey Kong Question

#1joeman2004Posted 5/9/2014 3:16:31 PM
I know I should probably post this on the Tropical Freeze board, but there seems to be more activity here. With that being said, if I didn't care for DKCR on the 3DS will I like DKTF? DKCR just seemed insanely difficult to me, especially since I'm a completionist and I don't like to move on to the next level until I've collected everything. Plus it seemed to be missing the "it" factor that the original trilogy had. The original games seemed to cater to a very broad audience, but it would appear DKCR narrows that to a more hardcore demographic.

I love the Donkey Kong franchise since it was a major part of my childhood along with the Mario & Zelda games (both of which still carry the magic of their predecessors). I want to love DKTF but I'm very wary. Can anyone who understands where I'm coming from elaborate a bit on DKTF?
#2Granadico_Posted 5/9/2014 3:20:55 PM
I liked DKCTF more than Returns on the 3DS, even after i beat it days before Tropical Freeze came out in anticipation. It felt so much smoother and fun. The music and graphics were gorgeous too.
Objectively though, i say its easier than Returns only because the cart and rocket levels are more lenient with 2 hearts instead of 1. Though the bosses i think are harder.
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) and Mario kart 7 (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#3joeman2004(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 5:07:07 PM
Okay, I really want to try it, but I'm just scared of being disappointed. I know a lot of people like it, but those same people seemed to love DKCR. I just hate to spend $50 on a game that's a rehash of DKCR.
#4UsabellPosted 5/9/2014 5:10:32 PM(edited)
Loved DKC1-3, DKC2 being one of my favorite games of all time. Hated DKCR vor various reasons. Loved DKC:TF to death and 200%'ed it. Yes, it's hard at times, but if you're good at platformers and completed the old trilogy (with the squawks in the wind part in DKC2 for example) you should be fine with this one too…
---
Consoles shouldn't be about 480p, 720p, 1080p or the prettiest slideshow.
They are about a magical box that outputs wonderful streams of 60 images per second.
#5joeman2004(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 5:25:10 PM
Usabell posted...
Loved DKC1-3, DKC2 being one of my favorite games of all time. Hated DKCR vor various reasons. Loved DKC:TF to death and 200%'ed it. Yes, it's hard at times, but if you're good at platformers and completed the old trilogy (with the squawks in the wind part in DKC2 for example) you should be fine with this one too…

Good to know. I may take the plunge this weekend.
#6BrownbearbobPosted 5/9/2014 5:37:02 PM
If you didn't like DKCR (although the I didn't play the 3D version), I don't think you would like Tropical Freeze
---
3DSFC: 0430-8332-4765
AC:NL - Blaise from Mars
#7AlphrinPosted 5/9/2014 6:54:58 PM
Did you try DKCR3D's new mode? It's a lots easier with the extra health and items.

DKCTF has the items from DKCR3D's new mode, but not the extra health.
---
I've decided not to have a signature.
#8guedesbrawlPosted 5/9/2014 7:07:32 PM
Dixie Kong makes the game much easier than Returns, but overall TF is much harder too.
---
"Clones are bad!" "Tier Lists don't exist!" ... really now? >_>
Chrom is the protagonist of FE:A, not Robin. He should be in smash 4.
#9manmousePosted 5/9/2014 7:34:11 PM
i couldn't stand DKCR, it lacked the atmosphere, flow, and beauty of the SNES trilogy. plus i haaaaate waggle attack/roll. i never finished it.

however, DKCTF is infinitely better. David Wise's music add a new dimension to the moods, the atmosphere of the levels is gorgeous, the controls are perfectly tight and you really feel the momentum.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#10VanderZooPosted 5/9/2014 8:09:38 PM
guedesbrawl posted...
Objectively though, i say its easier than Returns only because the cart and rocket levels are more lenient with 2 hearts instead of 1. Though the bosses i think are harder.

Maybe the cart levels are easier, but normal levels I thought were much more difficult.

Dixie Kong alleviates some of the difficulty though.