Iwata: Miyamoto has been working on GamePad projects to be shown at E3

#1adampeltzPosted 5/12/2014 1:07:53 PM(edited)
Sorry if this is old:

Last week we learned that Nintendo plans on unveiling several new games that utilize the GamePad almost exclusively. Satoru Iwata has spoken about these projects briefly, saying that some are nearly complete and these will be the games showcased at E3 next month. According to Iwata, legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto has helped with the design of some of these projects.

"Also, at that time, we will introduce multiple games that are designed to introduce players to the value of the Wii U Game Pad by demonstrating playstyles only possible because of it. These titles have been developed by internal teams under the guidance of Mr. Miyamoto (Board Member, General Manager of the Development Division). The software titles that we will show at E3, which make use of the Game Pad, will range from near complete titles to titles that are early in development, but will demonstrate the titlesí core appeals. We are preparing multiple software like this for the show."

This is good news for Nintendo, since one of the many criticisms leveled at the company as of late is that their recent games no longer feature GamePad integration that is meaningful. A good example of this is the release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, which supported off-screen play using the GamePad, but while playing the game on the TV, the GamePad remains black with no features.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/miyamoto-gamepad-games-e3/
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691
#2Dux_XPosted 5/12/2014 5:18:12 PM
This E3 is going to be a awesome.
---
"I'm going to shave...too"-Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg (1968-2005)
#3CubeTVPosted 5/12/2014 5:37:09 PM
adampeltz posted...
one of the many criticisms leveled at the company as of late is that their recent games no longer feature GamePad integration that is meaningful. A good example of this is the release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, which supported off-screen play using the GamePad, but while playing the game on the TV, the GamePad remains black with no features.

And look at how the game turned out: Oneof the best Wii U games out there.

Less gamepad use until 4P gamepad support is possible, the better. Look at the 3DS, it's gimmick is optional and not forced on us, and it gets all the good games left and right by third parties and Nintendo themselves. I like the gamepad, but it's more flawed than the Virtual Boy.
---
This will "save" the Wii U: A list I made of everything it's currently doing for anyone who owns one.
http://i.imgur.com/vRk0U6t.png
#4CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/12/2014 5:41:43 PM
CubeTV posted...
adampeltz posted...
one of the many criticisms leveled at the company as of late is that their recent games no longer feature GamePad integration that is meaningful. A good example of this is the release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, which supported off-screen play using the GamePad, but while playing the game on the TV, the GamePad remains black with no features.

And look at how the game turned out: Oneof the best Wii U games out there.

Less gamepad use until 4P gamepad support is possible, the better. Look at the 3DS, it's gimmick is optional and not forced on us, and it gets all the good games left and right by third parties and Nintendo themselves. I like the gamepad, but it's more flawed than the Virtual Boy.

I disagree... With pretty much all of that.

What is so flawed about the gamepad, So called "More flawed than the virtual boy" that will suddenly be fixed with 4P gamepad support?
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#5EndgamePosted 5/12/2014 5:42:57 PM
yeah, they're totally going to show us!

.....things that were already done on (3)DS
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#6CubeTVPosted 5/12/2014 5:47:21 PM
It would at least be up there with the Wii remote. A bit weird but at least 4 people can use it. It would get rid of the consumer confusion in the commercials because instead of using Wii remotes, they would use the gamepad.

Mario Kart 8's gamepad support is going to be unfair for the non-gamepad users. Everyone wants to use it, but there's only one.

As for how it's more flawed than the Virtual Boy, it has a even shorter battery life than it, the screen is not even in HD (despite the Wii U being called "the first Nintendo HD system"), it can't be taken everywhere unlike the 3DS. It's not just the lack of 4P support with it, it's a lot more too. But with 4P support, it would at least get rid of consumer confusion.
---
This will "save" the Wii U: A list I made of everything it's currently doing for anyone who owns one.
http://i.imgur.com/vRk0U6t.png
#7CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/12/2014 5:55:38 PM
CubeTV posted...
It would at least be up there with the Wii remote. A bit weird but at least 4 people can use it. It would get rid of the consumer confusion in the commercials because instead of using Wii remotes, they would use the gamepad.

Mario Kart 8's gamepad support is going to be unfair for the non-gamepad users. Everyone wants to use it, but there's only one.

As for how it's more flawed than the Virtual Boy, it has a even shorter battery life than it, the screen is not even in HD (despite the Wii U being called "the first Nintendo HD system"), it can't be taken everywhere unlike the 3DS. It's not just the lack of 4P support with it, it's a lot more too. But with 4P support, it would at least get rid of consumer confusion.

Most of those are flaws that other systems don't even have the privilege of having.

As for battery life... Alkaline batteries have always had much more Mah's than rechargeable lithium, Even then, the claim is questionable, both in truth, and relevancy.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#8SlimeSwayzePosted 5/12/2014 5:57:40 PM
This is disappointing. When it comes to gameplay, the Gamepad only detracts from games, in my opinion. I'm not a fan of mini-games or quirky nonsense, and I really don't like games that split my attention between two screens that are nowhere near each other. Nintendo has shown over the years that they don't need that crap to make amazing games, and the quality of their software has only declined the more they try to design games around their gimmicky controllers.

Also, I don't care about Wii U sales as much as a lot of folks here, but this will not help with Wii U sales. People aren't avoiding the Wii U because they're thinking, "Boy, it doesn't seem like enough games use this weird controller with a screen on it." They're not buying it because A) It costs too much, and B) it doesn't have the quality and variety of software they want.

And why does the Wii U costs too much? The Gamepad. And why hasn't Nintendo been able to put out more quality games? Because they've wasted way too much time researching how to use the their Gamepad controller that no one wanted in the first place.
---
Currently Playing: Stranger's Wrath, Dark Souls 2, and Rayman Legends.
#9Project MayhemPosted 5/12/2014 5:59:32 PM
Looking forward to what they have to show. I just hope it has nothing to do with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc., etc....... Show me something completely new.
---
People realizing forbes not writing articles on the WiiU suddenly means media sources like Time or NY Times automatically become illegitimate- CHAINMAILLEKID
#10Bren92787Posted 5/12/2014 7:24:54 PM
I find the idea that there's some huge population of consumers who WOULD buy a Wii U IF they could buy three gamepads with it, but won't because it only supports one, to be absolutely hilarious.

The thing needs games, gamepad or not. Games sell systems; they always have. I have had one since launch and it is utterly baffling how few games have been released.
---
FC: 0946-2234-5329, Name: Brenen, Town: Gulfton