Iwata: Miyamoto has been working on GamePad projects to be shown at E3

#11its-miiPosted 5/12/2014 8:45:46 PM
adampeltz posted...
Sorry if this is old:

Last week we learned that Nintendo plans on unveiling several new games that utilize the GamePad almost exclusively. Satoru Iwata has spoken about these projects briefly, saying that some are nearly complete and these will be the games showcased at E3 next month. According to Iwata, legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto has helped with the design of some of these projects.

"Also, at that time, we will introduce multiple games that are designed to introduce players to the value of the Wii U Game Pad by demonstrating playstyles only possible because of it. These titles have been developed by internal teams under the guidance of Mr. Miyamoto (Board Member, General Manager of the Development Division). The software titles that we will show at E3, which make use of the Game Pad, will range from near complete titles to titles that are early in development, but will demonstrate the titles’ core appeals. We are preparing multiple software like this for the show."

This is good news for Nintendo, since one of the many criticisms leveled at the company as of late is that their recent games no longer feature GamePad integration that is meaningful. A good example of this is the release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, which supported off-screen play using the GamePad, but while playing the game on the TV, the GamePad remains black with no features.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/miyamoto-gamepad-games-e3/

This sounds like it will be awsome!!
#12OshawottownagePosted 5/12/2014 9:08:55 PM
CubeTV posted...
adampeltz posted...
one of the many criticisms leveled at the company as of late is that their recent games no longer feature GamePad integration that is meaningful. A good example of this is the release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, which supported off-screen play using the GamePad, but while playing the game on the TV, the GamePad remains black with no features.

And look at how the game turned out: Oneof the best Wii U games out there.

Less gamepad use until 4P gamepad support is possible, the better. Look at the 3DS, it's gimmick is optional and not forced on us, and it gets all the good games left and right by third parties and Nintendo themselves. I like the gamepad, but it's more flawed than the Virtual Boy.

I....just...what? Picard help me out here!

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
---
I am definitely not an alt.
Official oshawott of the 3DS board
#13Remi0327Posted 5/12/2014 9:17:09 PM
CubeTV posted...
It would at least be up there with the Wii remote. A bit weird but at least 4 people can use it. It would get rid of the consumer confusion in the commercials because instead of using Wii remotes, they would use the gamepad.

Mario Kart 8's gamepad support is going to be unfair for the non-gamepad users. Everyone wants to use it, but there's only one.

As for how it's more flawed than the Virtual Boy, it has a even shorter battery life than it, the screen is not even in HD (despite the Wii U being called "the first Nintendo HD system"), it can't be taken everywhere unlike the 3DS. It's not just the lack of 4P support with it, it's a lot more too. But with 4P support, it would at least get rid of consumer confusion.

So if the Gamepad's screen not being HD goes against the "HD system" claim, then does the 3DS's touch screen not being 3D as well make it less of a 3D system?
---
My waifu thinks I'm the waifu. Love letters received from Raz, my waifu: 9 - never change, waifu. Never change.
3DS FC: 0834-1209-0204
#14Earthworm_JimPosted 5/12/2014 10:06:04 PM
Dux_X posted...
This E3 is going to be a awesome.

I hope so!
#15Kromlech06Posted 5/12/2014 10:07:35 PM
I just hope they are full games, and not just tech demos like the donkey kong mario net/framework deally.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#16adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2014 2:30:53 AM
Guys, I have more information about what will be shown at E3. At the investor meeting last quarter (earlier in 2014) Iwata said a team under Miyamoto is working on a single player game that is designed to show the value of the Gamepad.

I think we will be getting at least one traditional full fledged 1-player experience designed for core gamers which is only possible on the Gamepad at e3 this year.

My chief concern is that Nintendo still only plans to sell 3.5 million Wii U's this fiscal year. That's abysmal. So hopefully it's a conservative estimate, and Miyamoto really has something special to show.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691
#17JackalPosted 5/13/2014 3:25:58 AM
I'll reserve my judgments until I see the E3 DE but I don't have much faith in Shiggy these days. I'll always be grateful to him for my DK arcade days as a kid but these days, I just don't know what to think about him.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#18Kuribo4Posted 5/13/2014 3:30:44 AM
Project Mayhem posted...
Looking forward to what they have to show. I just hope it has nothing to do with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc., etc....... Show me something completely new.

Those series reinvent themselves.
---
As game developers,our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/164906/
#19OshawottownagePosted 5/13/2014 5:20:03 AM
adampeltz posted...
Guys, I have more information about what will be shown at E3. At the investor meeting last quarter (earlier in 2014) Iwata said a team under Miyamoto is working on a single player game that is designed to show the value of the Gamepad.

I think we will be getting at least one traditional full fledged 1-player experience designed for core gamers which is only possible on the Gamepad at e3 this year.

My chief concern is that Nintendo still only plans to sell 3.5 million Wii U's this fiscal year. That's abysmal. So hopefully it's a conservative estimate, and Miyamoto really has something special to show.

Iwata did say that estimate was not the peak of what the Wii U could sell this year. I think he is just
being conservative after what happened with the last sales estimates.
---
I am definitely not an alt.
Official oshawott of the 3DS board
#20AvirosbPosted 5/13/2014 5:26:06 AM
Project Mayhem posted...
Looking forward to what they have to show. I just hope it has nothing to do with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc., etc....... Show me something completely new.
Completely new doesn't sell.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.