On a scale of 1-10, how much do you care about the story in a game?

#101VanderZooPosted 5/14/2014 10:31:45 PM

I love a good story.
#102CudlecakesPosted 5/14/2014 10:34:28 PM
Like many others have said, it completely depends on the genre. A shooter? A 1. An Rpg? 10. Action/adventure games? 6. Platformers? 2.
#103sangernambuPosted 5/14/2014 10:44:23 PM
As I mostly play RPGs I would say 9/10

For other games it would be 4/10 because I like that characters have some background and aren't just thrown there for the sake of the game.
---
PSN ID : WarMorse 3DS FC: 1504-5678-5410
FFXIV ARR : Haken Browning, Ragnarok, Alpha Numbers
#104MagicTrufflezPosted 5/14/2014 10:52:20 PM

I pretty much only play RPG's, since most other genres don't keep my mind stimulated enough to keep playing. Although a great battle system (like, say SO4) can make up for a lack in the writing, which is why this isn't a 10 for me.
#105greaterspherePosted 5/14/2014 10:56:19 PM
depends on the genre. In an RPG 6/10, as for all the rest around 3/10.
---
Final Fantasy: IX>VI>VII>X<XII<IV<VIII<V<III<XIII<XIV<II<XI<I
Kingdom Hearts:1<2<3D<COM<BBS<Days<Coded
#106VeiledGenesisPosted 5/14/2014 10:59:38 PM
God damn, you guys need to play better games. Story is not genre-dependant. Story is game-dependant. It's all a matter of what the developer wants to convey. Yes, the likelihood of certain genres receiving better treatment than others when it comes to story is good, but that is not the only factor.

I'm sure most people on this board will disagree, but part of telling a great story is method, and another is presentation. One fantastic example would be the Balder's Gate and Planescape:Torment games. They leave important decisions up to the player, adapt the story to fit, and are just incredibly well-written. Another great example, and a nice contrast, is Bioshock Infinite. Amazing story, even if it's relatively linear in progression.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#107kirbycoolPosted 5/14/2014 11:01:15 PM
I care about entertaining dialogue over a good story. Take kid icarus uprising for example, the story was pretty randomly thrown together, but the dialogue was clever and entertaining.

Same with the monster hunter series. Bland story, but well written dialogue.

Both of these games also don't require that you stop and watch anything to enjoy the game (except monster intros). That's what makes a good game for me, rather than a bad game hiding behind a story.
---
Sent from my iPhone via my iPhone. I have an iPhone.
#108diebuster2Posted 5/14/2014 11:09:45 PM
KyoReiseTaisen posted...
DEPENDS ON THE GOD DAMN GENRE.

JESUS CHRIST.

Can you people STOP being this freaking dense?!

For RPGs, if the story is crap, why did you even bother making the game?

For Action, just have an interesting cast and story.

---
If you install Windows 7 14 times, you'll get Windows 98.
#109VeiledGenesisPosted 5/14/2014 11:24:52 PM
kirbycool posted...
I care about entertaining dialogue over a good story. Take kid icarus uprising for example, the story was pretty randomly thrown together, but the dialogue was clever and entertaining.

Same with the monster hunter series. Bland story, but well written dialogue.

Both of these games also don't require that you stop and watch anything to enjoy the game (except monster intros). That's what makes a good game for me, rather than a bad game hiding behind a story.

Monster Hunter has never been concerned with a plot. If you're playing it for the story, you're playing the wrong game.

Not that you are, I'm just saying in general.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#110DorotimusWitikPosted 5/14/2014 11:34:41 PM(edited)
Thaxagoodname posted...
DorotimusWitik posted...
Sports game: 1
Fighting game: 2
Pinball game: 1
Platform game: 2
Shooter (FPS or otherwise): 1
Action Adventure: 4
Adventure: 9
Console RPG (JRPG): 6
Western RPG: 4
MMORPG: 2
Visual Novel: 10
Life Simulation: 3
Construction Simulation: 2
Real-time/Turn Based Strategy: 3
4X: 1
Driving Sim: 1
Sports Sim: 1
Music: 1
Arcade: 1
Party Game: 1
Programming Game: 2
Puzzle Game: 1

A lot of these need to be 0s, imo

Sorry, I'm a stickler for following the scales suggested. There is no such thing as a 0/10 on a 1 to 10 scale.

VeiledGenesis posted...
God damn, you guys need to play better games. Story is not genre-dependant. Story is game-dependant. It's all a matter of what the developer wants to convey. Yes, the likelihood of certain genres receiving better treatment than others when it comes to story is good, but that is not the only factor.

I'm sure most people on this board will disagree, but part of telling a great story is method, and another is presentation. One fantastic example would be the Balder's Gate and Planescape:Torment games. They leave important decisions up to the player, adapt the story to fit, and are just incredibly well-written. Another great example, and a nice contrast, is Bioshock Infinite. Amazing story, even if it's relatively linear in progression.

I agree in part. Story can be important even in games even in a genre where it is normally unimportant and story can be unimportant even in games in a genre where it is normally important. Unfortunately, I don't exactly what to try and compile a list of every game ever and assign a rating to it based on how much of a factor the story is in that game. So I chose to use something of a generalization.

As for Bioshock, it's not pure FPS. It's a hybrid FPS/RPG, so naturally it doesn't follow the same general tendencies as stuff like Unreal Tournament or Halo.