On a scale of 1-10, how much do you care about the story in a game?

#121higgsboson1997Posted 5/15/2014 1:39:38 AM

If I wanted a good story, I'd read or watch a movie or TV
#122HermeticJusticePosted 5/15/2014 1:46:57 AM
Depends on the game/10
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#123blackhrtPosted 5/15/2014 4:24:25 AM
xoftheuniverse posted...
There are 4 elements that make up EVERY game. I will list them in the order of importance.

Gameplay - This incorporates anything you control in the game and it's style of doing so. This means the actual controls such as button layout, motion controls, their responsiveness etc and it also entails the style that varies by genre such as platforming, turn based combat, puzzle mechanics etc. If the gameplay either is not working as it should, or it's boring/not fun this is going to instantly make the game bad.

Music/Sound - This is obviously music and sound effects. They set the tone of stories, add surrounding realism sometimes and a game with bad sound is much less of an experience.

Storyline - This is an optional game element that can either make the game truly shine, or can make people hate the game. I say optional because certain games don't even have a story, and others don't put much thought into it.

Graphics - Another optional game element. As long as the player can tell what they are doing this element can look like anything.

As for a number for the storyline, I don't do that kind of thing and people need to stop being so attached to numbers. This includes everything from all the scores bouncing around supposedly rating games all the way to the sales numbers. These kinds of things only exist because people can't seem to think for themselves.

You'll change your mind about optional aspects of games after you play more of them. All 4 are needed.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#124JobocanPosted 5/15/2014 4:37:03 AM
0. Gameplay is the only thing that matters.

Once the gameplay is good, 5.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My collection
#125Thaxagoodname(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2014 4:46:43 AM
Ryan Si posted...
Thaxagoodname posted...
1 for me. I buy games to play them. I don't need to feel an attachment to the characters or the story. Only reason there's a 1 is because if the cutscenes look good, I'll watch them and pay attention.

"I buy games to play them." Do you have a formal education? As if story-driven games are somehow not interactive. Nintendo fanboys are pretty much the only ones still hating on these types of games because Nintendo only makes games with shallow, simple stories or none whatsoever. Simple as that, jealousy.

Are you telling me the original Metal Gear Solid (one of the best games ever) can't "be played?" I just started a new playthrough and tried to watch my way through it, but Snake just stood in the water not moving.

I do, thanks for asking.
---
"I wouldn't just call the police, I would call the police." -SomeLikeItHoth
#126Skill4ReelPosted 5/15/2014 5:21:31 AM

I care, but not enough that story in any way can ruin the entire game experience for me like flawed controls and game mechanics can.
#127Rennik RepotsirPosted 5/15/2014 5:28:43 AM
5: It's icing. Not the main choice for the cake; it's nice to have it; I can do with out it; too much of it nets a refusal or gets scraped off...

Mmm... cake... :d
---
FREE BUMP!!!
Nothing personal... I'm just bored...
#128MephsuitPosted 5/15/2014 6:26:10 AM
I wonder if any of the people who think story is unimportant like Rosalina as a character
---
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST
#129MephsuitPosted 5/15/2014 6:26:21 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#130Exsoldier001Posted 5/17/2014 2:32:40 AM
i think we are missing the point of the topic.yes a game can have a storyline, but do you take the storyline as a buying point? no, because it plays least importance in a gaming process.

you start out with gameplay, then you head up with the graphic, then sound and audio, and finally its the story. will you buy a game because of the gameplay? yes, will you buy a game because of the graphic? yes. will you buy a game because of the audio and sound? no. will you buy a game because of the story. definitely no.