Your view on the 10 point scale used for reviews

#61wingo84(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2014 11:54:45 PM
One of the biggest problems is that some critics use a 10 point scale where 5 is average where other use it as 7 being average. This is where metacritic fails. if there has to be a 10 point scale it should be universally defined ... But it still wouldn't work.

Pros and Cons FTW. Sack the numbered score system.
---
"Agnes wore sexy clothes, and it was awesome!" - Ringabell
Wii U NNID - Wingo84 - - - 3DS FC - 2122-7025-1013 (PM me so I can add back)
#62splashinkarpPosted 5/16/2014 12:01:39 AM
Well given I don't really care for reviews and all I guess I like it.
I've played 6's and 7's that I thought were better and more fun than some 9's and 10's.

But generally 6-7 means average, 8-9 means good, 10 means great.

So yea I prefer the 10 point system.
---
Note to self: Don't post pictures of contortionists or make obvious jokes
#63rockusPosted 5/16/2014 12:11:51 AM
I don't really care about whatever useless number they decide to use. The important thing is what a review says but people tend to forget that.
---
http://thetramp.dvdaf.com/
#64LtCmdDudefellaPosted 5/16/2014 12:13:38 AM
I think the problem isn't the system, but the reviewers. I've read reviews that only say positive things about a game and they seem to really enjoy it, but then at the end give it a 7/10. Like, if you enjoyed it so much and you didn't say anything bad about the game, why isn't the score higher?

Or some reviewers will rate the game against a game from a completely different genre. That never makes sense.

This isn't a ton of reviewers mind you, but I've seen it.
---
Official Reuniclus of the ORAS board
#65Lovely_DisasterPosted 5/16/2014 5:16:02 AM
i think a number scale can absolutely be useful. Don't be one of those dummies that are all like "Nooooo you can't just give a game a number! You just can't!"

Yeah, whatever. Sure you can. If I play a game and it is just about the worst thing ever then uh gee, that sounds like around a 1. If a game blows my goddamn head off and like ridiculously amazing well goddamn. 9 or 10. I really don't see what the problem is.
---
"Ign is INFAMOUS for giving nintendo games a low score." - SMASHKING84
#66wingo84(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 5:46:28 AM
Lovely_Disaster posted...
i I really don't see what the problem is.

The fact that the system is broken is the problem. You gave examples of two extremes... but what about all the crap in the middle? If you really have to rate it on a scale that do it on a 5 point scale, not ten. Its too vague. A five point scale will give you a better picture. Also, a lot of the reasons as to why games get scored down are so subjective its stupid... Donkey Kong is too hard therefore it deserves a lower score? What about the people that crave this difficulty because they prefer to have the skill to play?

Its a broken system. If you read the actual review you can see how pathetic some reviewers are, or how they pick up actual faults that deserve to be mentioned. A pros and cons list is all thats really needed, but a 5 point scale would be better... whether it be stars, letters or Numbers if you have to.
---
#67SolisPosted 5/16/2014 2:54:45 PM
wingo84 posted...

The fact that the system is broken is the problem. You gave examples of two extremes... but what about all the crap in the middle? If you really have to rate it on a scale that do it on a 5 point scale, not ten. Its too vague. A five point scale will give you a better picture.

No, it won't.

http://xkcd.com/1098/
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#68wingo84(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 3:09:05 PM
Solis posted...
wingo84 posted...

The fact that the system is broken is the problem. You gave examples of two extremes... but what about all the crap in the middle? If you really have to rate it on a scale that do it on a 5 point scale, not ten. Its too vague. A five point scale will give you a better picture.

No, it won't.

http://xkcd.com/1098/

Haha I mean actual 5 stars, not this half a star crap
---