Diddy Kong Racing

#1SampsonMPosted 5/15/2014 12:29:45 PM
All this talk about Mario Kart 8 makes me miss this game.

It was better than Mario Kart 64 in virtually every way. Frankly, I think this is the franchise Nintendo should revive, although I know Mario Kart has a better draw with the general public.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#2Puckswack12Posted 5/15/2014 12:30:41 PM
Rip rareware.
---
Yup
#3Swan3624Posted 5/15/2014 12:47:31 PM
I do wish it would come back in some form, especially on the Virtual Console or something.

And yes, RIP Rareware. Unlike a lot of people, though, I think Rare died with the Kinect. Before that, they still made awesome and inventive games. All of their pre-Kinect games were amazing, for me. Viva Piņata is a personal favorite, Grabbed By the Ghoulies is the weakest of the bunch but is still so silly and fun... Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was a great game when you put aside it being completely different from its predecessors, Kameo was hugely underrated, Conker: Live & Reloaded was just as amazing as Bad Fur Day.

...ugh. Then the Kinect came out, the "NXE" or whatever... the Next something Experience? Rare made those stupid avatars, they were a driving force behind the Kinect, they have only made crappy Kinect games since then...

It's awful. It's so sad. It's a great example of how just because a company shares the same name as one from the past, doesn't necessarily mean they will still be the same company you knew and loved.

I'm hoping with Microsoft taking focus off the Kinect, Rare will be able to get that creative spark that was being hampered by the glorified EyeToy.
#4KyoReiseTaisenPosted 5/15/2014 12:48:42 PM
I definitely rated DKR above MK in terms of overall fun. DKR was just so quirky and WTF seriously. It needed more love.
#5CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/15/2014 12:49:07 PM
Thankfully the 64 still works.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#6Skill4ReelPosted 5/15/2014 12:55:14 PM
I remember looking forward to this game, and expecting to have just as much fun with it as we had with MK64 split screen multiplayer. Then after getting it home, it became mostly a solo experience only. As I enjoyed it tremendously, but none of my friends and family that I'd played MK64 with for countless hours cared enough to play DKR more than an hour or two before wanting to go back to MK64. Then they just lost interest in it completely.
#7SampsonM(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2014 1:04:26 PM
Swan3624 posted...
I do wish it would come back in some form, especially on the Virtual Console or something.

And yes, RIP Rareware. Unlike a lot of people, though, I think Rare died with the Kinect. Before that, they still made awesome and inventive games. All of their pre-Kinect games were amazing, for me. Viva Piņata is a personal favorite, Grabbed By the Ghoulies is the weakest of the bunch but is still so silly and fun... Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was a great game when you put aside it being completely different from its predecessors, Kameo was hugely underrated, Conker: Live & Reloaded was just as amazing as Bad Fur Day.

...ugh. Then the Kinect came out, the "NXE" or whatever... the Next something Experience? Rare made those stupid avatars, they were a driving force behind the Kinect, they have only made crappy Kinect games since then...

It's awful. It's so sad. It's a great example of how just because a company shares the same name as one from the past, doesn't necessarily mean they will still be the same company you knew and loved.

I'm hoping with Microsoft taking focus off the Kinect, Rare will be able to get that creative spark that was being hampered by the glorified EyeToy.

Companies are just collections of people, and as I understand it, most of the talented people that made Rare great left long ago.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#8VidgmchtrPosted 5/15/2014 1:09:06 PM
If only the remake for the DS didn't suck.

Retro should make a sequel. Obviously, we can't include any of the characters Rareware made themselves, but they can totally get David Wise to make an awesome soundtrack for it.
#9Granadico_Posted 5/15/2014 1:11:25 PM
It was definitely more challenging than Mario Kart 64. As a kid i could beat MK64 on my own, but Wiz Pig? Still gives me nightmares
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) and Ki Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#10Groudon199Posted 5/15/2014 2:20:49 PM
Swan3624 posted...

Unfortunately, this won't happen unless Rare stops being Microsoft exclusive.