Article: How Nintendo can fix the Wii U right now

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Article: How Nintendo can fix the Wii U right now
1 year ago#21
AstralFrost posted...
I agree with everything said. Clearly the gamepad isn't an attractive feature to potential buyers and should be put to rest. Microsoft saw that kinect was holding them back from PS4 despite selling much better than the Wii U in the same timeframe. Not sure why Nintendo is so stubborn as to hold on to the gamepad until its last dying breath when its clearly not working.

because then wii u turns into nothing more than a 360/ps3 console with no 3rd party support and a handful of nintendo games every year going against ps4 and x1 (now kinect free). the gamepad is what makes the console 'unique' as per nintendo.
---
Proud owner of wii u, ps4 and Xbox one
1 year ago#22
That's the thing I do like about Microsoft. If they can't make something sell, they'll take action. Nintendo just lets things sit there.

As for the gamepad, it needs to go. The TV and the gamepad displays are not next to each other and that creates the problems unlike with the DS and 3DS. Ironically, the best use of the gamepad is just to stick it on the cradle in front of the TV and have it display a minimap while playing with a Pro or Nyko controller. And even then, I wouldn't buy one for that.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
1 year ago#23
because then wii u turns into nothing more than a 360/ps3 console with no 3rd party support and a handful of nintendo games every year going against ps4 and x1

Agreed. It would force Nintendo to have to come up with something and thats exactly what should happen. Its time to stop hiding behind gimmicks that don't really do anything as an excuse to have a weaker console with limited games.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
1 year ago#24
It's not selling well because of the lack of good games, not the price. A price drop would help a bit but its like putting a bandaid over a massive wound... It's not fixing the real problem.

As for the gamepad I really see zero potential for it. We have had smartphones and touch screens for almost 8 years and the uses of it so far is not really too revolutionary
1 year ago#25
Each Gamepad costs Nintendo $80 to produce. The actual Wii U console itself with the processor, wires, etc comes out to $149. The manufacturing cost for a pro controller should be cheap. Even if you sell the Wii U $80-$100 cheaper than what it is now, you're still looking at profit. I truly believe this would attract many more consumers.

Also, I'm sure Nintendo invested a lot of time and money into miiverse...but I'm positive Microsoft spent more time and money into Kinect...yet they're dropping it. I've owned an Xbox One since launch and would have gladly bought a $399 version without the Kinect. I applaud Microsoft for making the change..and so soon. It was exactly last year in May where they revealed the new Kinect and wouldn't shut up about it...they said it's a significant part of the new Xbox experience. There are specific features and games that require the Kinect, but Microsoft has stated they'll be making changes to make things more applicable for people who don't own Kinect as well. I believe there is a solution to everything, including making the Wii U a hundred percent compatible without the GamePad.

I admit, It sucks for those who like the GamePad, but the general consensuses from what I hear from others in person, online, and in articles is that they won't buy a Wii U for the current cost. They should make the GamePad an optional peripheral to enhance the Wii U experience for some fans, just like the Kinect.

Also, on a side note, I strongly believe that one of the biggest mistakes going for Nintendo right now has to do with the Wii U marketing. It's bad...really bad.

A cheaper will definitely help the Wii U's sales significantly. Price really does matter...maybe not for hardcore Nintendo fans like you and me, who'll easily drop an extra hundred or two in order to play the newest Mario, Zelda, or Smash...but for a lot of kids, casuals, older consumers, parents, grandparents, family members, friends, etc...a $199 price tag for a video game console as opposed to a $399 PS4/X1 sounds like the best deal you can get. It sounds very appealing.

I personally think it'll attract these customers if, Nintendo gets their $**t together with their marketing.

Good marketing, very good price, and very good first party exclusives (which will soon come) will turn the Wii U around completely.
1 year ago#26
It's not as simple as dropping the controller as a mandatory feature. It would require a pretty massive system update as well. I think it's a good idea, even though I personally like the game pad, but it's much more complicated than just "put a Wii U in a box with a pro controller and sell it for $200)
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
1 year ago#27
Stanger5150 posted...
It's not as simple as dropping the controller as a mandatory feature. It would require a pretty massive system update as well. I think it's a good idea, even though I personally like the game pad, but it's much more complicated than just "put a Wii U in a box with a pro controller and sell it for $200)

This. The Wii U is literally BUILT around the gamepad. Two home screens at once, selection for options, initial set-up for the console. There is WAY more to it than just "drop the controller!"

Honestly imo, the controller should've just had a tiny screen similar to a 3DS for minimal UI stuff like options and minimaps maybe VC games etc. They should not have tried to make it this off-TV play device with a huge ass HD display. It made the controller awkwardly sized and suck up battery power like nothing. It should've been a tiny screen for simple touch control stuff and menus just like 3DS / DS games.
---
http://i.imgur.com/BNZWG.gif | http://i.imgur.com/Qh8jO.gif | http://i.imgur.com/QwY3n.gif
[[ PSN / WiiU / Steam: Austin_4e ]]
1 year ago#28
Austin_4e posted...
Stanger5150 posted...

This. The Wii U is literally BUILT around the gamepad. Two home screens at once, selection for options, initial set-up for the console. There is WAY more to it than just "drop the controller!"

Honestly imo, the controller should've just had a tiny screen similar to a 3DS for minimal UI stuff like options and minimaps maybe VC games etc. They should not have tried to make it this off-TV play device with a huge ass HD display. It made the controller awkwardly sized and suck up battery power like nothing. It should've been a tiny screen for simple touch control stuff and menus just like 3DS / DS games.

The only thing that REALLY pisses me off about the gamepad design, is the fact that if it malfunctions, the entire console is bricked until it's replaced. As I said, I like the controller, but I don't understand why it was made the central hub for all of the console's operations to the point that the Wii U literally cannot function without it. Everything the gamepad does could have been done without making it an absolutely necessary. It's required just to turn the goddamn system on.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
1 year ago#29
AstralFrost posted...
because then wii u turns into nothing more than a 360/ps3 console with no 3rd party support and a handful of nintendo games every year going against ps4 and x1

Agreed. It would force Nintendo to have to come up with something and thats exactly what should happen. Its time to stop hiding behind gimmicks that don't really do anything as an excuse to have a weaker console with limited games.

Except the idea is to make the Wii U sell better, not make it sell worse.
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
1 year ago#30
Amakusa posted...
AstralFrost posted...

Except the idea is to make the Wii U sell better, not make it sell worse.

Some of us have a bit more faith (unwarranted faith so far, but faith nonetheless) in Nintendo that if they stopped trying to sell unwanted gimmicks and instead focused on making quality titles, it would have been better than their present course of actions.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Article: How Nintendo can fix the Wii U right now

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived