Article: How Nintendo can fix the Wii U right now

#31caffeinepiratePosted 5/15/2014 5:57:45 PM
Amakusa posted...
AstralFrost posted...
because then wii u turns into nothing more than a 360/ps3 console with no 3rd party support and a handful of nintendo games every year going against ps4 and x1

Agreed. It would force Nintendo to have to come up with something and thats exactly what should happen. Its time to stop hiding behind gimmicks that don't really do anything as an excuse to have a weaker console with limited games.

Except the idea is to make the Wii U sell better, not make it sell worse.

Nobody except the diehards really care about the gamepad. The Wii U would sell better with a lower price but no gamepad.
#32FUsquarepantsPosted 5/15/2014 7:46:22 PM
Amakusa posted...
AstralFrost posted...
because then wii u turns into nothing more than a 360/ps3 console with no 3rd party support and a handful of nintendo games every year going against ps4 and x1

Agreed. It would force Nintendo to have to come up with something and thats exactly what should happen. Its time to stop hiding behind gimmicks that don't really do anything as an excuse to have a weaker console with limited games.

Except the idea is to make the Wii U sell better, not make it sell worse.

how would nintendo sell a console that's basically a 360 with the nintendo stamp on it (but no 3rd party support) against xbox 1 and ps4? i think they would do worse than even now. albeit, i suspect there would be an intial bump in sales but i think there would be no longterm benefit.
---
Proud owner of wii u, ps4 and Xbox one
#33a_fartn_Spartan(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 7:23:46 AM
I think some of you are forgetting the Wii U has more 1080p games out than the X1/PS4. 3rd parties can still develop for it because not many have even been able to use the PS4's full power, but a lot of developers are put off by the controller and lack of sales. But if Nintendo gets their **** together and can sell consoles, then 3rd parties will want to come back because of the install base.

Nintendo needs to get the Wii U at a $200 price point. If you look at PS360's sales, they peaked when the console reached this price. IIRC, the Wii was the same way. The easiest way to do that is to not make the GamePad a necessity and patch the Wii U so it can be used by every controller.

And I know many of you are die-hard GamePad supporters. The problem is, nobody else likes it for the price. Nintendo isn't trying to sell GamePads, they're selling Wii U's. If your market doesn't like something, you need to adapt. You can't just say crap like, "If you don't like the GamePad, then you don't like Wii U" because then you'll make big losses like Nintendo did last year. If you don't want to see the Wii U at the end of its life cycle, then you need to improve it to meet consumers' changing interests. And we'll see for sure after Mario Kart, but I doubt games alone are going to do it.
---
Battletoads, Killer Instinct, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, DK Country, Diddy Racing, Banjo, Conker.
Rare, you will be missed.
#34TrueBlue91Posted 5/16/2014 7:24:37 AM
There is an easy fix for Wii U. Seriously. All they have to do is drop the price to around 50/$75, and sales should increase by at least 20%.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
"This isn't even apples to oranges. More like toast to bears." - Bloodychess
#35SampsonMPosted 5/16/2014 7:38:53 AM
I'm at a loss for how anyone can defend the gamepad.

"But then it'll just be a PS3 with Nintendo games!" Is that much different from being a PS3 with Nintendo games and a forced PS Vita controller?

The Wii U is already a total failure. Best case scenario, baring a miracle, it sells 15M units lifetime.

What do you have to lose? Seriously? Nothing.

The Wii U is a console for playing Nintendo games. That's been established. People like Nintendo games but they don't want to spend $300 on the box.

Get the system update out, patch the games that require the gamepad to not require the gamepad. Sell a $199 Wii U with a pro controller and a bundled copy of NSMBU. It won't save the system, but it might propel it above 20M lifetime unit sales.

You want to talk about Nintendo's long-term interests? Their biggest value is their IP. People need to know who Mario, Link, etc. are. If the consoles don't sell, kids don't become familiar with Nintendo's IP.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#36SampsonMPosted 5/16/2014 7:39:26 AM
Oh, and there's already a Netflix for games. It's called PlayStation Now and it's coming this summer.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#37AvirosbPosted 5/16/2014 7:47:58 AM(edited)
SampsonM posted...
I'm at a loss for how anyone can defend the gamepad.
Sometimes you really gotta go, I mean *really* gotta go.

Get the system update out, patch the games that require the gamepad to not require the gamepad.
Gonna be weird sharing the TV screen with 4 other players. Also Nintendoland.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#38GamespohtPosted 5/16/2014 7:51:13 AM
Are people forgetting that you don't actually need a Gamepad to use the Wii U?

You can simply use a Wii Remote or Pro Controller without turning on the Gamepad
---
''No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me''-Sonic The Hedgehog
I am Gamespot's Unofficial Mascot....Love Me.
#39TerotrousPosted 5/16/2014 7:52:23 AM(edited)
Dumb article in general, the only good point is the subscription model for the VC, which I brought up like 5 years ago. Making the console bigger is clearly stupid and wouldn't help, and why don't we give Microsoft 6 months to crash and burn before we follow their lead by dropping the console's main peripheral?

One other important thing to note is that if you set the precedent for dropping your console's main selling feature, you'll never be able to have something like that ever again. Consumers will assume any future system you make will eventually start dropping any new features it has and will wait for this to happen before they buy one.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#40SampsonMPosted 5/16/2014 7:54:34 AM
Terotrous posted...
and why don't we give Microsoft 6 months to crash and burn before we follow their lead by dropping the console's main peripheral?

Again, I don't get this logic.

People want Kinect, they can still buy Kinect. Microsoft is simply giving people the choice to buy a cheaper console if they don't want, or know they won't use, Kinect.

The downside is that developers stop utilizing the Kinect. But guess what -- no one was really utilizing the Kinect in the first place. Just like the Gamepad.
---