Article: How Nintendo can fix the Wii U right now

#51TrueBlue91Posted 5/16/2014 7:56:16 AM
Terotrous posted...

The gamepad doesn't turn anyone off. You can put off-tv play in the game with 2 lines of code (this was confirmed by a developer way back). The system price is already quite competitive ($330 with 2 controllers and 2 games is way better than what any other system is offering), and removing the gamepad would allow it to be cut by $50 at most (they'd have to include the Pro Controller instead, which is worth about $50 less than the Gamepad).

The Pro controller can not be worth just $50 less, regardless of Nintendo's overpricing. There's just no way.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
"This isn't even apples to oranges. More like toast to bears." - Bloodychess
#52DeathSoul2000Posted 5/16/2014 7:56:42 AM
People who aren't Nintendo need to stop telling them how to "fix" their console. lt's their console, how about you let THEM decide how they'll fix it?
#53TerotrousPosted 5/16/2014 7:58:30 AM
TrueBlue91 posted...
The Pro controller can not be worth just $50 less, regardless of Nintendo's overpricing. There's just no way.

High quality controllers aren't cheap. Anyone who owns a PS3 should be familiar with that by now.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#54SampsonMPosted 5/16/2014 8:00:21 AM
Because at the time Microsoft was acting like they were really committed to it and they were starting to bundle it with their system.

Microsoft will still sell XBone bundles that include the Kinect (like they do with the 36) and they have said they will continue to design the system with it in mind. Again, no difference. I notice you did not respond to my debunking of your absurd claim that all those "apps Microsoft showed at the last E3 won't happen."

Every game on the system uses the gamepad, if for Off-TV Play if nothing else. It's also clearly used well in games like ZombiU and MH3U.

Off-TV play is another way to play, not a core part of the experience. It is the sort of optional feature that peripherals are all about. It is, perhaps, the very definition of what a peripheral should bring to the table.

The gamepad doesn't turn anyone off. You can put off-tv play in the game with 2 lines of code

Off-TV play doesn't count as using the gamepad (see above). Third party developers have no incentive to create games with the gamepad specifically in mind, as they cannot easily port these games to other consoles.

The system price is already quite competitive ($330 with 2 controllers and 2 games is way better than what any other system is offering), and removing the gamepad would allow it to be cut by $50 at most (they'd have to include the Pro Controller instead, which is worth about $50 less than the Gamepad).

The pro controller is $50 at retail, it likely costs half of that or less to produce. They could easily sell a $250 bundle with two digital games, a pro controller and a wii mote.

No it doesn't. This is its first game of any importance since February. That might be better than the other systems, but it's still terrible. There's no reason to upgrade your system if it's only going to get you a couple new games.

Just answer this question: How did the PS4 sell 7 million units when it had one exclusive game worth playing (Killzone)?
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#55DeathSoul2000Posted 5/16/2014 8:03:49 AM(edited)
Terotrous posted...
TrueBlue91 posted...

High quality controllers aren't cheap. Anyone who owns a PS3 should be familiar with that by now.

Just because we're familiar with it, doesn't mean we should be ok with it. $50 is ripoff price for any controller, official or not.
#56RPGrinderPosted 5/16/2014 8:04:35 AM
ridiculous article. next
#57TerotrousPosted 5/16/2014 8:20:49 AM
SampsonM posted...
Microsoft will still sell XBone bundles that include the Kinect (like they do with the 36) and they have said they will continue to design the system with it in mind. Again, no difference. I notice you did not respond to my debunking of your absurd claim that all those "apps Microsoft showed at the last E3 won't happen."

They will but now that it's clear that it's not their priority all excitement around Kinect will vanish.

And I was referring to this thing as getting scrapped:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6SJnpBfdBs

Off-TV play doesn't count as using the gamepad (see above).

Except it clearly does. One of the great things about the Gamepad is that it doesn't limit developers. If you want to design a traditional game for the Wii U, you can, you don't have to alter your game concept to work with the gamepad. The old excuse that "such and such game isn't a good fit for the Wiimote" doesn't exist anymore. The gamepad doesn't completely replace traditional gaming experiences, it just enhances them. That's actually a very smart design in this modern gaming world where multiplats are everything (the way to distinguish your console is by proving added value to common experiences), unfortunately this only works if they can make the console sell well with their own software first.

The pro controller is $50 at retail, it likely costs half of that or less to produce.

I doubt it. There's absolutely no reason for them to take that much markup on a controller, that's never been where the real money in gaming is. It might be $35-40 to produce.

Just answer this question: How did the PS4 sell 7 million units when it had one exclusive game worth playing (Killzone)?

With one of the most effective marketing campaigns of all time. Unfortunately the polish is starting to come off and the sales are slowing down, they're going to have to put out some really good exclusives soon or they'll be sharing Wii U's fate soon enough.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#58TrueBlue91Posted 5/16/2014 8:23:40 AM
Terotrous posted...
TrueBlue91 posted...

Actually I think DS3 was overpriced as **** too.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
"This isn't even apples to oranges. More like toast to bears." - Bloodychess
#59Jacob46719Posted 5/16/2014 8:58:18 AM
Mecha Sonic posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
The number of DS and 3DS units sold proves that the game pad concept is a hit. Nintendo doesn't need to drop their best concept they need to support it.

3DS has undersold horribly

?
---
I am a Lucid Dreamer.
#60blazingsonicPosted 5/16/2014 9:13:48 AM
somebacon posted...
The gamepad is great...they just haven't made enough games that really show what it can do.

Exactly.
---
PSZ FC: Team-B 1892-2449-7676
PSZ FC Team-A 4125-5095-5213