Article: How Nintendo can fix the Wii U right now

#61Robstar27Posted 5/16/2014 11:02:16 AM
Why not just ditch the Wii U gamepad altogether and instead let gamers sync their 3d/2ds to it as a "touch screen controller? and Nintendo could cheaply release a separate right analog stick for it.
#62SampsonMPosted 5/16/2014 11:09:08 AM
I doubt it. There's absolutely no reason for them to take that much markup on a controller, that's never been where the real money in gaming is. It might be $35-40 to produce.

Take a look at GameStop's SEC filings on their investor relations page. Their profit margin on accessories is 40%. This is new accessories; not used accessories, which is included in a different category.

Admittedly, this isn't a perfect analysis, because it includes all controllers across all systems and other accessories. Still, it's better than what you have which is just your own opinion. Let's say GameStop is marking up the Wii U Pro controller by 30%, which would mean they buy it from Nintendo wholesale at $35. I doubt Nintendo sells their controllers at cost, assume another 25% markup.

Altogether, it probably costs Nintendo around $20-25 to make a pro controller.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#63trenkenPosted 5/16/2014 11:09:39 AM
somebacon posted...
The gamepad is great...they just haven't made enough games that really show what it can do.

Enough? Or any? Because I havent played one single game that was actually made more fun due to gamepad features. All I know of it since owning this thing since launch is goofy annoying controls in nintendoland, and showing maps in some games.

What else can they do with it? Its not a selling point, it never will be. It's been 1.5 years, the time to prove to people this thing is awesome came and went, and people wouldnt buy it.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#64Legendary_MusasPosted 5/16/2014 11:11:33 AM
The gamepad is awesome and has potential.

Nintendo need to support it more and hire some third parties.
NO one is going to buy multiplat games on the Wii U but it still needs more games, get a couple of third parties to make Wii U exclusives and (as far as I am aware this has been confirmed) let other companies develop some 1st party titles (like Metroid Prime and DK).

Wii U's problem is it lacks some killer apps, Mario Kart and Smash Bros will help but we need more. E3 needs to deliver.
---
A__A
(o'_.'o)
#65Depth_scrollPosted 5/16/2014 11:14:29 AM
Nintendo can keep trying to implement the Wii U pad lightly in their classic franchises, but I believe we'll only see full implementation in tech demo look alike games (just like Wii Sports). I have some ideas for its uses in classic franchises though.
---
"We're all bisexual, like shades of grey that get close to black or white,
which are extremes on a sexual orientation meter." - Valkeerie
#66n00bsaib0tPosted 5/16/2014 11:21:48 AM
trenken posted...
somebacon posted...
The gamepad is great...they just haven't made enough games that really show what it can do.

Enough? Or any? Because I havent played one single game that was actually made more fun due to gamepad features. All I know of it since owning this thing since launch is goofy annoying controls in nintendoland, and showing maps in some games.

What else can they do with it? Its not a selling point, it never will be. It's been 1.5 years, the time to prove to people this thing is awesome came and went, and people wouldnt buy it.

You mean it's been 10 years. The DS came out in 2004. The game pad / TV combo is the same concept as a DS. Any intelligent person has known for 10 years now what can be done with this kind of thing. Only a moron would claim it adds nothing. Half the devs claiming they don't know what to do with it made DS games.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#67n00bsaib0tPosted 5/16/2014 11:22:44 AM
SampsonM posted...
I doubt it. There's absolutely no reason for them to take that much markup on a controller, that's never been where the real money in gaming is. It might be $35-40 to produce.

Take a look at GameStop's SEC filings on their investor relations page. Their profit margin on accessories is 40%. This is new accessories; not used accessories, which is included in a different category.

Admittedly, this isn't a perfect analysis, because it includes all controllers across all systems and other accessories. Still, it's better than what you have which is just your own opinion. Let's say GameStop is marking up the Wii U Pro controller by 30%, which would mean they buy it from Nintendo wholesale at $35. I doubt Nintendo sells their controllers at cost, assume another 25% markup.

You're talking about how he is just posting his opinion, but everything you say after that is just your opinion with nothing to back it up.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#68SampsonMPosted 5/16/2014 11:30:43 AM(edited)
n00bsaib0t posted...
SampsonM posted...

You're talking about how he is just posting his opinion, but everything you say after that is just your opinion with nothing to back it up.

It's absurd to think it costs Nintendo $40-45 to make a Pro controller is all I'm saying. Whether it costs them $20, 25, 30 or whatever is debatable, but there's no way it's sold at the store near cost.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#69TerotrousPosted 5/16/2014 11:49:26 AM(edited)
SampsonM posted...
It's absurd to think it costs Nintendo $40-45 to make a Pro controller is all I'm saying. Whether it costs them $20, 25, 30 or whatever is debatable, but there's no way it's sold at the store near cost.

It's not uncommon for hardware to be sold at a loss, let alone at minimal markup.

The store is still making money, but only because the company is selling it to the store at less than cost.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#70SampsonMPosted 5/16/2014 11:59:49 AM
Terotrous posted...
SampsonM posted...

It's not uncommon for hardware to be sold at a loss, let alone at minimal markup.

The store is still making money, but only because the company is selling it to the store at less than cost.

Consoles, yes -- controllers, no.

Nintendo has said they're no longer losing money on Wii U hardware as the production costs have come down. It is highly unlikely that they sell Pro controllers at a loss.
---