Article: How Nintendo can fix the Wii U right now

#71TerotrousPosted 5/16/2014 11:03:50 AM(edited)
SampsonM posted...
Nintendo has said they're no longer losing money on Wii U hardware as the production costs have come down. It is highly unlikely that they sell Pro controllers at a loss.

I don't really see any reason to make the distinction there. Like the hardware itself, controllers are basically just a tool to get people to buy more games. It's not where the big money is, so it's not where you put the big margins.

And besides, if we accept that they're selling the thing at a loss, rather than taking out the gamepad, they could just drop the price a bit more and take a bigger loss. They did say that this year they'd be able to eliminate the current loss, perhaps they should apply all of those savings to the price and keep the loss the same. It's not great for the bottom line, but they do desperately need to move consoles right now.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#72WickedSickJoshPosted 5/16/2014 4:35:58 PM
somebacon posted...
WickedSickJosh posted...
I like the gamepad controller but we could easily do without it. The damn gamepad caused a lot of damage, including:

- Awkward multiplayer. Only one gamepad can be synced at a time, leaving us to leave old Wiimotes hanging around

- Scared off 3rd-party developers. They just see it as another gimmick and don't want to deal with it (even though they could just leave it blank or put something).

- If you're gamepad brakes, it's going to cost you a crazy amount of money. If you're getting it repaired or have to buy a new one from Nintendo, it's going to cost you.

- if you're not playing the Wii U then you better have that thing on the charger because the battery is crap.

I admit, being able to play Wii U games on the controller is pretty cool, but that's the only redeeming feature. The Pro Classic Controller is awesome, but unfortunately will cost you $50.

Awkward mutiplayer can be resolved by selling gamepads separately.

I haven't broken a controller since I was 8

The battery is better than the PS4 controllers

As for the 3rd-party developers...I got nothing

Gamepads would likely cost more than typical controllers. I've read that it can cost $70-$80 just to replace it

Stuff happens. Someone else might brake it or you might have a button jam or something. With the price being so high you simply can send it in to get fixed or buy a new one without whipping out a bit of cash

Doesn't matter what the PS4's controller battery is like. Crappy battery is crappy battery.
---
Currently playing: Dragon's Crown (PS3), Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze (Wii U), WWE 2K14 (PS3)
http://backloggery.com/WickedSickJosh
#73stirlolPosted 5/16/2014 9:01:14 PM
Idk If anyone has suggested tnis but can't they use their huge development team to just use tablets that everyone already has (iPad, nexus, surface or whatever) as the second screen? PS4 is doing a brilliant job with their iOS and andorid apps, and I bet xbox has done the same for surface and I'd assume iOS and android in the works if not already. Everyone that wants a tablet has to have one by now, it's a waste to "force" yet another tablet into their hands. Especially a non capacitive screen, it is not 2002
---
http://omf.gd/images/goonsay.gif
#74n00bsaib0tPosted 5/17/2014 4:57:31 AM
stirlol posted...
Idk If anyone has suggested tnis but can't they use their huge development team to just use tablets that everyone already has (iPad, nexus, surface or whatever) as the second screen? PS4 is doing a brilliant job with their iOS and andorid apps, and I bet xbox has done the same for surface and I'd assume iOS and android in the works if not already. Everyone that wants a tablet has to have one by now, it's a waste to "force" yet another tablet into their hands. Especially a non capacitive screen, it is not 2002

Saying tablet repeatedly won't magically turn the game pad into one. And none of those tablets have buttons, a dpad or analogs.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile