Mario Kart 8 confirmed for 720p

#141wh0_kn0wsPosted 5/16/2014 12:38:58 PM
GreatEclipse posted...
DaLagga posted...
Lefty128k posted...
GreatEclipse posted...
Also, just for the purpose of clarification, resolution can only be traded for FPS if the GPU is the bottleneck in the system. Here is a good piece on the subject:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-in-theory-1080p30-or-720p60

Trying to argue that the PS4 is "_ times more powerful" than the Wii U or any other system is silly, since a computer can only go as fast as it's slowest component, and some games, or sections of them, tax certain components more than others.

Why don't you actually demonstrate which PS4 component is the bottleneck?

The PS4 has a mediocre GPU and a low end netbook CPU. So I'd say the CPU is going to hold the system back in the future. That being said, the whole system is very disappointing and it easily represents the weakest a top performing console has ever been in the past 30 years. It is, however, still a generational leap beyond the Wii U.

The PS4 GPU is between a 7850-70 in power, plus it has all the benefits that come from being in a closed system. I wouldn't call that mediocre, certainly not for a $400 machine. The CPU is disappointing, I agree, but the GPU has been customized heavily for compute operations (an often overlooked advantage it has over the XB1), it's just that IIRC the tools aren't there to support it yet.

I'm not trying to pick sides here guys, I just want people to have some perspective on these issues. Like I said, game graphics have gotten to a point where you think people would be satisfied, but no, they seem to care a lot more now than they did in the PS1 or PS2 ear, when improvements were far more meaningful.

it's weird, the more graphics plateau, the more insufferable people get. i don't understand it.
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#142SaltyBotzPosted 5/16/2014 12:39:03 PM
HayashiTakara posted...
SaltyBotz posted...
EastCoastKody posted...
on ps4 it would be 900p 25fps

More like 1080p & 120fps.

Yeah just like how it did with last gen ports right? oh wait..

MK8 is not a complex 3D game. There isn't a lot of 3D objects to render, and the polygon count is really low. The textures are also quite low, and only appear to look decent because they're mostly one color textures with no neutral colors anywhere in them. For hair, its one giant block of yellow, etc. It mind boggles me that anyone thinks this game looks good. It looks like a fisher price toy set.
#143squatch22Posted 5/16/2014 12:40:36 PM
SaltyBotz posted...
HayashiTakara posted...
SaltyBotz posted...
EastCoastKody posted...

MK8 is not a complex 3D game. There isn't a lot of 3D objects to render, and the polygon count is really low. The textures are also quite low, and only appear to look decent because they're mostly one color textures with no neutral colors anywhere in them. For hair, its one giant block of yellow, etc. It mind boggles me that anyone thinks this game looks good. It looks like a fisher price toy set.

More salt than the sea.
---
900p/30fps-The NEXT GEN POWER of 5GB GDDR5 RAM.
Pacman/Ms Pacman are racist, sexist and homophobic.
#144wh0_kn0wsPosted 5/16/2014 12:40:37 PM
SaltyBotz posted...
HayashiTakara posted...
SaltyBotz posted...
EastCoastKody posted...

i found a new user, wat do
---
#145DaLaggaPosted 5/16/2014 12:54:38 PM
HayashiTakara posted...
SaltyBotz posted...
EastCoastKody posted...

It's hard to judge that seeing as how last gen ports also saw dramatic graphical improvements on the PS4/Xbone beyond just resolution. AC4 for example saw a dramatic bump from 720p to 1080p and a solid 30fps with no dips like the PS3 version. But on top of that, there were a plethora of other graphical enhancements without which, the PS4 almost certainly could have handled the PS3 version in 1080p at double the framerate.

And look at Tomb Raider on the PS4. The game renders at 1080p compared to 720p on the PS3 and runs at nearly twice the framerate and that's with a number of other graphical improvements as well. So if the PS4 can do it in Tomb Raider, why couldn't it do it in MK8 seeing as how, on a technical level, MK8 doesn't even look as good as Tomb Raider did on the PS3?

And for a final example for absolute proof, look at Trine 2. The game runs at 720p30 on all last gen consoles including the Wii U but runs at 1080p120 on the PS4 in 3D mode. So that's a 125% resolution bump and quadruple the framerate. And you think it's impossible for the PS4 to run MK8 at 1080p60? Seriously now?
#146Cubfan082Posted 5/16/2014 1:20:49 PM
Lefty128k posted...
Cubfan082 posted...
RobJ24 posted...
"p" and "fps" are things only elitists care about, the new courses look beautiful already. The only thing that matters anyways is gameplay which not a single person is complaining about.

no.

if your fps is sub 30 you can expect things like screen tearing and chop, and that is bad for your game expeirence.

720p should be what is expected of all Nintendo titles since they specced the system to generate 720p because that is still currently the most commonly purchased television resolution.

No, 1080p is the most commonly purchased HDTV resolution now.

More than 70% of all in service TVs are 720 resolution or below. This is worldwide yo...1080p is catching on, but all those black friday sales aren't pedaling 1080p displays, they are 720s with crappy refresh rates for a few hundred bucks.

Moving forward sure, were we stand no...
---
Regarding teaching pigs to sing: "It wastes your time and annoys the pig" ~Mark Twain
#147king_maddenPosted 5/16/2014 1:42:50 PM
wh0_kn0ws posted...
king_madden posted...
Cubfan082 posted...
RobJ24 posted...
"p" and "fps" are things only elitists care about, the new courses look beautiful already. The only thing that matters anyways is gameplay which not a single person is complaining about.

no.

if your fps is sub 30 you can expect things like screen tearing and chop, and that is bad for your game expeirence.

720p should be what is expected of all Nintendo titles since they specced the system to generate 720p because that is still currently the most commonly purchased television resolution.

Wow if that's true that was a bad decision, gotta have some kind of future outlook here. I wouldn't even be sure 720p is still top selling right now

'purchased' past tense, as in 'most commonly owned'. and there obviously is, it displays 1080p.

In that sense using the phrase commonly purchased means current not past tense. How would you use purchased in a current sense to say what people are buying currently?
#148king_maddenPosted 5/16/2014 1:49:53 PM
Cubfan082 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
Cubfan082 posted...
RobJ24 posted...

no.

No, 1080p is the most commonly purchased HDTV resolution now.

More than 70% of all in service TVs are 720 resolution or below. This is worldwide yo...1080p is catching on, but all those black friday sales aren't pedaling 1080p displays, they are 720s with crappy refresh rates for a few hundred bucks.

Moving forward sure, were we stand no...

Um actually the biggest sales on black Friday were the 1080p TVs. Check bestbuys ad the vast majority of tvs were 1080p. What you said was true maybe 2-3 years ago but there has been a stronger push for 1080p the last few years.

There are more 720 out there maybe sure, but that's only because they were affordable longer, now that 1080p are super affordable the argument can be made they are selling more now. Is there any recent evidence that says 720p is selling the most now?
#149wh0_kn0wsPosted 5/16/2014 1:55:38 PM
king_madden posted...
wh0_kn0ws posted...
king_madden posted...
Cubfan082 posted...
RobJ24 posted...

no.

Wow if that's true that was a bad decision, gotta have some kind of future outlook here. I wouldn't even be sure 720p is still top selling right now

'purchased' past tense, as in 'most commonly owned'. and there obviously is, it displays 1080p.

In that sense using the phrase commonly purchased means current not past tense. How would you use purchased in a current sense to say what people are buying currently?

the same, english isn't a perfect language.
---
#150GreatEclipsePosted 5/16/2014 2:11:41 PM
DaLagga posted...
Lefty128k posted...
What a great explanation.....

I especially liked how you actually named the specific components and listed their specs, instead of just flippantly calling them by thoughtless descriptors like "mediocre" and "low-end".....

Oh, wait.......

The GPU is basically a slightly beefier AMD 7850 which is indeed very mediocre and easily outperformed by GPU's released 3 years before the PS4 came out. The CPU is indeed based on a netbook processor (Jaguar) with 8 cores clocked very low at 1.6ghz and two of those cores are reserved for the OS. So yes, long story short, PC CPU's from 5+ years ago would easily outperform the PS4's CPU and PC GPU's more than 3 years old would outperform its GPU.

And that's not even taking overclocking or SLI/Crossfire configurations into account. The PS4 really is woefully underpowered for a modern console and it's facepalm worthy if Sony thinks this thing is going to last 6 to 8 years. It's already struggling to handle modern games with Watch Dogs seeing massive downgrades on the system, BF4 dropping down to 900p with massive framerate issues in larger games, and The Witcher 3 rumored to run at minimum settings on the PS4 compared to PC.

Any PC running SLI, or overclocking the CPU with the aid of after-market coolers, is way outside the price range of a console, so that should not even be factored in. I'm building a fairly expensive rig in a few months, but I still don't expect the 760 I'm putting in it, at only $150 under an entire PS4, to completely destroy the PS4 version if even a 780 Ti can't max it out. The fact that this or that game is having problems meeting frame-rate or resolution benchmarks is also not very telling, as not every developer has the time/resources/knowledge to heavily optimize a multi-platform game, especially not early in a consoles life.

I think Sony expects the PS4 to last 6 to 8 years because computer hardware has gotten to the point where the actual design of the game is limited only by what developers can think up and find time to program, rather than the specs of the box, and because graphics have gotten to the point where, in any sane world, most people would be satisfied. I'm honestly baffled someone can look at a few screenshots of Infamous: Second Son or The Order: 1886 and say that isn't good enough, and this is at the start of the generation. It will be interesting to see what Naughty Dog gets out of it in a few years.