What happened to Metroid?

#21Robstar27Posted 5/18/2014 9:37:49 AM
why can't they make a new Metroid title that feels like (gameplay wise) Super Metroid? Theirs a whole bunch of Castlevania titles that became popular using Super Metroid's gameplay.
#22The_Shadow_LinkPosted 5/18/2014 9:49:42 AM
They are clearly going to regress back to a New Super Metroid soon. Which might be a good thing seeing how Link Between Worlds turned out alright... or could go horribly wrong seeing how New Yoshi's Island turned out.

I'd be surprised if we get a 3D Metroid Prime esque game anytime soon though sadly.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#23Arcvalons(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 12:29:49 PM
Eeqmcsq posted...
Part of the problem that I see with Metroid is, what do they do with the next game's plot? How many ways can they bring back Metroids as a threat? I guess other series have done it before - Castlevania, Mario, Zelda have found ways to bring back the same bad guy. But they don't have a continuous plotline like Metroid currently has.

Do they invent a whole new enemy threat? But then, it won't be a "Metroid" game, right? Maybe Nintendo needs to rename the series to focus more on the hero, like "Samus", or "Bounty Hunter", or something similar so they CAN introduce a whole new challenge to face.

Actually, isn't Samus part-Metroid now? It seems that takes care of it.
---
Arcvalons really is a genius.-kamikazetomato.
Arc doesn't speak English; he speaks life, the voice of a generation.-gamerTai and pigg
#24Kuribo4Posted 5/18/2014 12:43:56 PM
LoZ_123 posted...
Arcvalons posted...
Read somewhere that Miyamoto was biased against MP from the beginning, but I hope they do more Metroid Primes someday. One continuing after Fusion maybe.

I'm pretty sure Miyamoto helped out with designing the Prime games. You might be thinking of Sakamoto who's commonly regarded as one of the main guys behind Super and was instrumental in creating the abomination known as Other M. He does seem to have some bias against the Primes what with him basically calling them non-canon, but I don't have much faith in his opinions anymore because that one is bad and he made Other M.

It isn't a bad opinion. He is an artist, his work is Metroid. If some fan creates a fan fic, does he need to acknowledge it? No. Same with Retro's MP.
Other M I haven't played.
---
As game developers,our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/164906/
#25AceMosPosted 5/18/2014 12:48:21 PM
Kuribo4 posted...
LoZ_123 posted...
Arcvalons posted...
Read somewhere that Miyamoto was biased against MP from the beginning, but I hope they do more Metroid Primes someday. One continuing after Fusion maybe.

I'm pretty sure Miyamoto helped out with designing the Prime games. You might be thinking of Sakamoto who's commonly regarded as one of the main guys behind Super and was instrumental in creating the abomination known as Other M. He does seem to have some bias against the Primes what with him basically calling them non-canon, but I don't have much faith in his opinions anymore because that one is bad and he made Other M.

It isn't a bad opinion. He is an artist, his work is Metroid. If some fan creates a fan fic, does he need to acknowledge it? No. Same with Retro's MP.

other M does not jsut contradict the prime games it contradicts zero mission metroid 2 super metroid and metroid fusion

and sakamoto walked away from metroid retro kept pushing it forward

if he was a real artist and if he truely cared about the franchise he would have sat down and played all 3 prime games to see what had been done with the franchise
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#26Kuribo4Posted 5/18/2014 1:02:10 PM
AceMos posted...
lilburrito posted...
LoZ_123 posted...
Arcvalons posted...

As far as character development is concerned. The manga would've been enough.

1. its in her past and has no effect on who she is in the games

Human beings don't really work like that. xD
---
As game developers,our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/164906/
#27Kuribo4Posted 5/18/2014 1:03:26 PM
lilburrito posted...
AceMos posted...
lilburrito posted...
LoZ_123 posted...
Arcvalons posted...

As far as character development is concerned. The manga would've been enough.

indeed while the manga has problems in its plot those can be forgiven becuse

1. its in her past and has no effect on who she is in the games

and

2, she over comes those flaws and decimates the pirates in the end

Exactly. You watch her grow up and overcome those problems that plagued her as a child. Thus how she killed Ridley the first time. Which is why I still can't understand why in the world would she go through PTSD in the Other M despite crushing him numerous times.

Because that's her personality. She didn't have a personality till now.
---
#28Kuribo4Posted 5/18/2014 1:05:09 PM
Eeqmcsq posted...
Part of the problem that I see with Metroid is, what do they do with the next game's plot? How many ways can they bring back Metroids as a threat? I guess other series have done it before - Castlevania, Mario, Zelda have found ways to bring back the same bad guy. But they don't have a continuous plotline like Metroid currently has.

Do they invent a whole new enemy threat? But then, it won't be a "Metroid" game, right? Maybe Nintendo needs to rename the series to focus more on the hero, like "Samus", or "Bounty Hunter", or something similar so they CAN introduce a whole new challenge to face.

There is The Legend of Zelda. I don't think the name is a problem. Metroid means more to people than just the enemy.
---
#29AceMosPosted 5/18/2014 1:05:55 PM
kuribo i dont think you know how writing a narative works nor do i think you have ever played a metroid game i allreyad listed the bits of her personality from before other M

other M goes against established facts of her character
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#30n00bsaib0tPosted 5/18/2014 1:09:12 PM
AceMos posted...
Kuribo4 posted...
LoZ_123 posted...
Arcvalons posted...

other M does not jsut contradict the prime games it contradicts zero mission metroid 2 super metroid and metroid fusion

and sakamoto walked away from metroid retro kept pushing it forward

if he was a real artist and if he truely cared about the franchise he would have sat down and played all 3 prime games to see what had been done with the franchise

That's not how it works. If someone else makes games with your IP you don't have to acknowledge them. When Capcom let Arika make the Street Fighter EX series, they never once acknowledged it in the main series, it's 100% non canon. That's what MP is now. It doesn't mean its bad, it just means that story wise it isn't relevant.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile