The Wii U needs a hardware update before 3rd party developers come back

#1BaronVladzPosted 5/20/2014 7:55:08 AM
While there may be many things standing in the way of third party support returning to the Nintendo console, one of the overlooked issues is hardware. Now, I'm not talking about the processing units; I'm talking about the harddrive. The limited sizes of 8 and 32 Gb are laughable this generation when people have already been up in arms about their 500 Gb X1/PS4 harddrives filling up months after release. Before anyone points out that you can stick to physical media instead of digital, I want to point out that many 3rd party games now are released with patches ranging from 1-5Gb (ie. Wolfenstein).

I don't think it's out of the question to expect Nintendo to release an updated Wii U with bigger harddrives; it happened with both PS3 and Xbox 360 when they released their 500 and 250 Gb models, respectively. Without the bigger harddrives, it's going to be a turnoff for both developers and consumers alike to be expected to purchase separate forms of external storage, which is a separate issue all by itself given the outdated USB 2.0 built into the Wii U, resulting in significantly slower transfer speeds than the USB 3.0 that is standard on the X1/PS4.
#2DeathSoul2000Posted 5/20/2014 7:57:55 AM
A bigger harddrive ain't gonna do crap to attract third parties.
#3AvirosbPosted 5/20/2014 7:57:55 AM
BaronVladz posted...
Before anyone points out that you can stick to physical media instead of digital, I want to point out that many 3rd party games now are released with patches ranging from 1-5Gb (ie. Wolfenstein).
Truly this is the way of the future.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#4NovaLevossidaPosted 5/20/2014 7:59:15 AM
The Wii U should have launched with much more storage, but honestly, since it's just going to get 360 / PS3 versions of games (when it does get multiplatform games), it's not like it would be using the features of an install in the first place.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#5BaronVladz(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2014 8:00:48 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...

"If you build it they will come". Serious note, it's one of the issues, and a significant one at that. Even if they wanted to come back, it'll do little good if their software can't fit in your hardware
#6Neo_HeartlessPosted 5/20/2014 8:01:38 AM
I get your point Baron, but surely the bigger crime here is games like Wolfenstein releasing with day one patches that are several Gb in size?

However, take this as you will, but many UK retailers basically got rid of any remaining basic bundles by selling them dirt cheap recently. I have this sneaking feeling we might be seeing an updated SKU with a larger HDD.

Also the transfer rate for USB 2.0 is still several times higher than even the faster disc read speed the WiiU has, so I don't think it's as much as a hindrance as you think.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#7HayashiTakaraPosted 5/20/2014 8:01:40 AM
Avirosb posted...
BaronVladz posted...
Before anyone points out that you can stick to physical media instead of digital, I want to point out that many 3rd party games now are released with patches ranging from 1-5Gb (ie. Wolfenstein).

Yeah, indeed it is... It hearts my heart that 3rd parties now make it a standard to release unfinished games, knowing that they can fall back on patches.
#8BaronVladz(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2014 8:02:42 AM
Avirosb posted...
BaronVladz posted...

I believe so too; instead of spending the extra resources and time to optimize each version, why not say screw it to the compression and optimization, and just release the 'working' software with bloated patches. It'll sell either way, and this way it'll result in more profit.
#9Megamushroom666Posted 5/20/2014 8:04:18 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...

---
Carmina Burana: youtu.be/fUiEjLwZbTY
www.SNACKEROO.com
#10lunchbox2042Posted 5/20/2014 8:11:26 AM
3rd parties aren't coming back to Nintendo.