So I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before

#1o___OkamiPosted 5/24/2014 7:13:09 AM
And decided to watch some gameplay footage.....

It looks like you "battle" hordes of identical enemies, except instead of actually trying to attack you they just run up to you in droves and stand around waiting to eat your cheesy AOE attacks? And instead of your attacks looking like they're having an impact on an enemy, just barely tapping them with any part of the swing of your weapon will launch them into the air?

Is what I see in DW8 about what I should expect in Hyrule Warriors?
---
They called you exotic. Which is just people talk for awesome. Which you are.
http://i.imgur.com/2DNHw1n.jpg?1
#2jackynkurttimsPosted 5/24/2014 7:18:25 AM
Yeah probably. Best wishes.
---
ediotsavant posted...Set it up on my buried crt tv from the 80's era and was blown by Iron Soldier.
#3RHFPosted 5/24/2014 7:19:25 AM(edited)
Pretty much, characters will have their moves which have AOE and the like. It's basically Dynasty Warriors but with Zelda paint on it, much like DW with Gundam
---
For great justice! And Fruit Pies! *Official #1 supporter for Hsien-ko*
#4CSplitterPosted 5/24/2014 7:23:20 AM
The normal enemies just poke to interupt at best and only become noticable hazards in higher difficulties. Only the general fights hold some difficulty or tactics. Breaking their defence and keep juggling them and generally doing combos.

People find appeal in Warriors games because of the historical setting, the lore (which is loooooosely based on real events) and the mindless mass killing. Not because of deep gameplay. Now, if replacing China/Japan and their historical figures with that of Hyrule sounds interesting to you, you might like it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8t1rzi1.gif
#5userfrigginamePosted 5/24/2014 7:30:59 AM
Yeah, but that's cuz its focus is less on deep combat, and more on strategizing your movements on the battlefield.
#6CSplitterPosted 5/24/2014 7:41:37 AM(edited)
^Kinda.

You'll be less worried about the way you overtake enemy encampments and more about you allies getting killed. Depending on what kind of morale system they use, you'll be able to affect the tide of battle even you're not there, though.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8t1rzi1.gif
#7random_man9119Posted 5/24/2014 8:02:12 AM
CSplitter
which is loooooosely based on real events)

Wait... So you're telling me that there wasn't warriors slaughtering millions of soldiers with magical weapons back in ancient China?!

Damn... Here I thought DW would be a good source to write my history paper on...
---
PSN: Des-Nos|NNID: MrOddities
Currently playing:Child of Light,FFXIV,Mario Golf:World Tour, Disney Magical World
#8UltimaSora91Posted 5/24/2014 8:03:13 AM
What's funny is the fact the characters of DW talk major junk to each other and even have hilarious lines here and there...this would be a problem with Link...
---
Is it me, or does it look like Yveltal posed as to say, "Come at me, bro"?
3DS: 4768-7461-8649
#9userfrigginamePosted 5/24/2014 8:08:46 AM
random_man9119 posted...
CSplitter
which is loooooosely based on real events)

Wait... So you're telling me that there wasn't warriors slaughtering millions of soldiers with magical weapons back in ancient China?!

Damn... Here I thought DW would be a good source to write my history paper on...

weren't
#10GrizzmeisterPosted 5/24/2014 8:23:00 AM
o___Okami posted...
Is what I see in DW8 about what I should expect in Hyrule Warriors?

Maybe. Nintendo will give Japanese gamers what they crave but add enough innovation to redefine the genre.
---
Speaking on condition of anonymity.