#21NovaLevossidaPosted 5/24/2014 10:50:21 PM
Robstar27 posted...
wizards and warriors

Well, you have my attention now.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#2290sRetroGamingPosted 5/25/2014 12:04:09 AM
Just get the damn IP's away from Microsoft already...
---
My 3DS FC: 1375-7268-6996 My NNID: OldSchoolGaming My PSN: C90sRetroGaming My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/OldSchoolGaming4Life Feel free to add me! ^_^
#23EoinPosted 5/25/2014 2:24:23 AM
No, of course not, especially not just for the IPs. So many people seem to think that it's a good idea for Nintendo to acquire IPs, when the reality is that Nintendo have so many of their own IPs that they can't even routinely make games for each of the ones that they already have. Suggesting that Nintendo buy the IPs is suggesting that Nintendo add Banjo Kazooie and Conker and Perfect Dark and whatever else to their pile of barely-used IPs that already includes things like Kid Icarus and Pilot Wings and Star Fox and F-Zero and Metroid.

Nintendo needs developers - studios that will allow them to make more games, to utilise the IP that they already have.

Buying Rare's IPs compounds an existing problem - it would be a terrible decision. Buying Rare as a development studio would be less stupid, although they would probably be one of the least cost-efficient studio purchases that Nintendo could make. There's a long list of studios that would be better suited to working with Nintendo properties than modern-day Rare.
#24DeathSoul2000Posted 5/25/2014 2:58:39 AM
Groudon199 posted...
Vidgmchtr posted...
Groudon199 posted...
The only reason I'd want Nintendo to buy back Rare is to get Diddy Kong Racing on VC.

They don't need Microsoft's permission for that. Despite many of the characters in that game being owned by Rare, the title character is owned by Nintendo.

They also remade the game for the Nintendo DS, but it was terrible.

I'm not sure if Nintendo would be able to replace Banjo and Conker in the original game with other characters.

Well, they did in the remake.
#25Tadamoto6Posted 5/25/2014 4:13:51 AM
Eoin posted...
There's a long list of studios that would be better suited to working with Nintendo properties than modern-day Rare.

Mind naming a few?
---
http://i.imgur.com/zp7rImV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/VMAQCCW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SjVh9qV.gif http://i.imgur.com/BfPnep6.gif
#26Bat178Posted 5/25/2014 4:22:30 AM
Eoin posted...
No, of course not, especially not just for the IPs. So many people seem to think that it's a good idea for Nintendo to acquire IPs, when the reality is that Nintendo have so many of their own IPs that they can't even routinely make games for each of the ones that they already have. Suggesting that Nintendo buy the IPs is suggesting that Nintendo add Banjo Kazooie and Conker and Perfect Dark and whatever else to their pile of barely-used IPs that already includes things like Kid Icarus and Pilot Wings and Star Fox and F-Zero and Metroid.

Nintendo needs developers - studios that will allow them to make more games, to utilise the IP that they already have.

Buying Rare's IPs compounds an existing problem - it would be a terrible decision. Buying Rare as a development studio would be less stupid, although they would probably be one of the least cost-efficient studio purchases that Nintendo could make. There's a long list of studios that would be better suited to working with Nintendo properties than modern-day Rare.

Microsoft is doing the exact same thing with Rare's IPs, never using them, but at least Nintendo has a better chance of using them than Microsoft because most of them are platformers, which Nintendo specializes in. If a IP isn't a shooter or sports, Microsoft doesn't do anything with it.
---
Awww, isn't that cute? He thinks he can beat me!
#27Dragon_DezPosted 5/25/2014 4:28:52 AM
Even if they do buy Rare back, it won't the same old Rare that it used to be.
#28EoinPosted 5/25/2014 5:18:11 AM
Tadamoto6 posted...
Mind naming a few?

Platinum. Next Level Games. Sumo Digital. Treasure. Frictional Games. Shin'en. WayForward. Sidhe. Q-Games.

There's no point in getting caught up on Rare. If Microsoft want to make their money back on them (which is likely), the US$375m they paid in 2002 is closer to US$500m in today's money. That money could buy many smaller studios, or be used to establish multiple new studios. Rare aren't anywhere close to an economically sensible purchase.

Bat178 posted...
Microsoft is doing the exact same thing with Rare's IPs, never using them

The fact that those IPs are going unused is not Nintendo's problem and they have no motivation to solve it.

Bat178 posted...
Nintendo has a better chance of using them than Microsoft because most of them are platformers, which Nintendo specializes in.

The one thing Nintendo need less than more unused IPs is to devote some of their resources to making more platformers. They are sorted for platformers.
#29Groudon199Posted 5/25/2014 5:24:38 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
Groudon199 posted...
Vidgmchtr posted...
Groudon199 posted...
The only reason I'd want Nintendo to buy back Rare is to get Diddy Kong Racing on VC.

They don't need Microsoft's permission for that. Despite many of the characters in that game being owned by Rare, the title character is owned by Nintendo.

They also remade the game for the Nintendo DS, but it was terrible.

I'm not sure if Nintendo would be able to replace Banjo and Conker in the original game with other characters.

Well, they did in the remake.

That was a new game. The only time Nintendo's modified the VC version of a game was with Pokémon Snap, and that didn't require making new character models and recording voices for them.
#30DoomsSDPosted 5/25/2014 5:26:38 AM
stefkat posted...
No, Rare is not even a shell of what they once were. They are but a shadow.

They are a shadow of a shell of what they once were.
---
Well, I suppose it's time to get kidnapped again...
http://i.imgur.com/k4HdivZ.gif