should Nintendo buy back Rare?

#31Bat178Posted 5/25/2014 5:27:29 AM
Eoin posted...
Tadamoto6 posted...
Mind naming a few?

Platinum. Next Level Games. Sumo Digital. Treasure. Frictional Games. Shin'en. WayForward. Sidhe. Q-Games.

There's no point in getting caught up on Rare. If Microsoft want to make their money back on them (which is likely), the US$375m they paid in 2002 is closer to US$500m in today's money. That money could buy many smaller studios, or be used to establish multiple new studios. Rare aren't anywhere close to an economically sensible purchase.

Bat178 posted...
Microsoft is doing the exact same thing with Rare's IPs, never using them

The fact that those IPs are going unused is not Nintendo's problem and they have no motivation to solve it.

Bat178 posted...
Nintendo has a better chance of using them than Microsoft because most of them are platformers, which Nintendo specializes in.

The one thing Nintendo need less than more unused IPs is to devote some of their resources to making more platformers. They are sorted for platformers.

2D platformers maybe, but most of those are 3D platformers, something which is very rare even on Nintendo's consoles since the beginning of the Wii/PS3/360 era. Not even indies are making them on the other consoles (They only make 2D ones), and 3D platformers are my favourite genre, so I'd like to see more of them again. The only recent ones are Super Mario 3D World and Sonic Lost Worlds, and those ones play more like 2D games in 3D, as opposed to Rare's 3D platformers like Banjo and Conker which are more like actual 3D platformers.
---
Awww, isn't that cute? He thinks he can beat me!
#32BladeManEXEPosted 5/25/2014 5:28:22 AM
Like a lot of people have already said, Rare doesn't have most of the people that made all those worthwhile games back in the day. Better to buy the IPs than the studio.
#33EoinPosted 5/25/2014 5:31:38 AM
Bat178 posted...
2D platformers maybe, but most of those are 3D platformers, something which is very rare even on Nintendo's consoles since the beginning of the Wii/PS3/360 era. Not even indies are making them on the other consoles (They only make 2D ones), and 3D platformers are my favourite genre, so I'd like to see more of them again. The only recent ones are Super Mario 3D World and Sonic Lost Worlds, and those ones play more like 2D games in 3D, as opposed to Rare's 3D platformers like Banjo and Conker which are more like actual 3D platformers.

Even if you want more 3D platformers, that still doesn't mean that Nintendo purchasing Rare (or their IPs) makes any sense whatsoever. Nintendo have dozens of IPs that they could be making 3D platformers from. The reason that they aren't making more 3D platformers isn't because they don't have Rare's IPs.
#34d_sidePosted 5/25/2014 11:11:48 AM
R_Hunter posted...
No. No real talent from the old days are left there.

Just get Banjo and Conker's IPs.

Also get the other half of The Goldeneye Rights from Rare, and Perfect Dark IP. P.S. FIXED!
---
Enter Thy Darkside Of GameFaqs
http://www.youtube.com/user/MegaDside
#35dj-izzlePosted 5/25/2014 11:41:43 AM
Even though Rare lost a lot of their talent, that doesn't mean that they still cant be taught by miyamoto, just like he taught Retro.
---
3DS FC: 1693- 1721- 4479 IGN: Daniel | Currently Playing: Pokemon Y, Sonic LW, J&D Collection, Various 3DS VC games
#36mjc0961Posted 5/29/2014 2:02:28 AM
Eoin posted...
No, of course not, especially not just for the IPs. So many people seem to think that it's a good idea for Nintendo to acquire IPs, when the reality is that Nintendo have so many of their own IPs that they can't even routinely make games for each of the ones that they already have. Suggesting that Nintendo buy the IPs is suggesting that Nintendo add Banjo Kazooie and Conker and Perfect Dark and whatever else to their pile of barely-used IPs that already includes things like Kid Icarus and Pilot Wings and Star Fox and F-Zero and Metroid.

Nintendo needs developers - studios that will allow them to make more games, to utilise the IP that they already have.

Buying Rare's IPs compounds an existing problem - it would be a terrible decision. Buying Rare as a development studio would be less stupid, although they would probably be one of the least cost-efficient studio purchases that Nintendo could make. There's a long list of studios that would be better suited to working with Nintendo properties than modern-day Rare.

This.

Although I want to point out that Platinum is not one of the studios better suited to working on Nintendo games. Everything Platinum makes is s***. They already took a big steamy dump on the Metal Gear franchise. They need to leave Nintendo alone.
---
AnthonM2 posted...
BTW I don't see The Last of Us as a western game because many asians worked with Naughty Dog on the game