What's the point of digital foundry?

#11SolisPosted 5/24/2014 11:07:32 PM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Solis posted...
Digital Foundry analyzes games to give you the technical details about the rendering and effects used in games. I find them to be a very useful resource.

I see them as interesting, but not useful.

How do you find them useful?

Their determinations inform me of how big of a gap there is between different versions of games, and what kind of tradeoff there would be going from one platform to another. They point out specific flaws in games, and how to fix it if it can be changed (for example, setting the PS3 to 720p to reduce the framerate drops and lopsided resolution in Shadow of the Colossus, or setting the Xbox 360 version of Sacred 2 to 480p to increase performance when the same method doesn't work on the PS3). They have image quality comparisons that makes it easier to see what kind of affect certain techniques have on a game in both image quality and performance, and validate occurrences that can be seen in games so that you have an understanding of how other games compare.

As an example, Digital Foundry would have been very useful back in the PS2 era, because back then we had people complaining about "jaggies" or saying that one version of a game looked better than another, but it was mostly anecdotal. If you knew that the PS2 version of a game ran at 512x224 while the Dreamcast version ran at a full 640x480, or if the PS2 version of something ran at 30FPS while it ran at 60FPS on other platforms, then that would have helped you make a decision as to which version of a game you might want if you were trying to decide between them. If you simply heard that "the PS2 version has more jaggies" or "the PS2 version doesn't run as well", then that doesn't give you any concrete information to go on, because it might be so minimal that you wouldn't be able to see it on your display or it could be a tremendous difference that's much more noticeable if you have a better quality display or notice things like that more easily.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#12dnmtPosted 5/24/2014 11:41:59 PM(edited)
daveweckl10 posted...
Iokua posted...
Digital **** wagging. That's pretty much it. They're a site that serves no other purpose than to show the functionality of a game, and more often than not that results in nerd fights.

Yeah. They're a bunch of trolls.

They're trolls only because they post objective facts that you don't like hearing about for whatever insane reason.
#13Skill4ReelPosted 5/24/2014 11:48:13 PM
Ammo for video game message board arguments.
#14EoinPosted 5/25/2014 1:55:04 AM
Digital Foundry was born from a few different factors.

Firstly - and by far most importantly - last generation two consoles were very evenly matched, to the point where differences between two versions of the same game were not immediately noticeable, but could still impact the game. If the PS3 and Xbox 360 hadn't been so closely matched, I think it's likely that Digital Foundry wouldn't have existed in its current form.

Secondly, there was (and still is) a big gap in the information provided by most games reviews. If someone decides they want a game, one question that they may commonly be asking themselves is "which version?" - but most reviews don't really go into the differences between versions - reviewers generally only have one version so often can't talk about differences even if they want to. Digital Foundry fills that gap, making the difference between versions quite clear.

Thirdly, there were an increasing number of people who knew what frames per second meant, what upscaling was, what aliasing was, what 720p and 1080i and 1080p meant, what the differences were between different cables and displays - and there was nowhere online producing reliable measurements of how games performed technically, and very few places to even discuss things without getting bogged down with idiots saying things like "the human eye can't see more than 30fps anyway". Digital Foundry provided that.
#15OoseyePosted 5/25/2014 2:07:29 AM
Iokua posted...
Digital **** wagging

/thread
---
PLAYING: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & Picross e4
#16CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 5/25/2014 11:40:57 AM
Solis posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Solis posted...
Digital Foundry analyzes games to give you the technical details about the rendering and effects used in games. I find them to be a very useful resource.

I see them as interesting, but not useful.

How do you find them useful?

Their determinations inform me of how big of a gap there is between different versions of games, and what kind of tradeoff there would be going from one platform to another. They point out specific flaws in games, and how to fix it if it can be changed (for example, setting the PS3 to 720p to reduce the framerate drops and lopsided resolution in Shadow of the Colossus, or setting the Xbox 360 version of Sacred 2 to 480p to increase performance when the same method doesn't work on the PS3). They have image quality comparisons that makes it easier to see what kind of affect certain techniques have on a game in both image quality and performance, and validate occurrences that can be seen in games so that you have an understanding of how other games compare.

As an example, Digital Foundry would have been very useful back in the PS2 era, because back then we had people complaining about "jaggies" or saying that one version of a game looked better than another, but it was mostly anecdotal. If you knew that the PS2 version of a game ran at 512x224 while the Dreamcast version ran at a full 640x480, or if the PS2 version of something ran at 30FPS while it ran at 60FPS on other platforms, then that would have helped you make a decision as to which version of a game you might want if you were trying to decide between them. If you simply heard that "the PS2 version has more jaggies" or "the PS2 version doesn't run as well", then that doesn't give you any concrete information to go on, because it might be so minimal that you wouldn't be able to see it on your display or it could be a tremendous difference that's much more noticeable if you have a better quality display or notice things like that more easily.

Ah yes.

As a single platform gamer, that rather obvious thing flew right over my head.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#17Darkside_ShadowPosted 5/25/2014 1:31:42 PM
They wouldnt do it if people didnt click on it. So blame yourself first, not them.
#18EndgamePosted 5/25/2014 1:55:57 PM
Yeah. They're a bunch of trolls.

but they agree with you!

That's not something we were worried about, of course. This is Nintendo, after all, which have become well-known for its ability to produce digital gold that surpasses the hardware limitations of the host platform. Last year we heaped praise upon Super Mario 3D World for delivering one of the most polished experiences in console gaming,

if sucking up to Nintendo THIS much doesn't meet your standards and makes them a "troll" (read: someone who disagrees with you).....
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert