Thinking about getting one for my daughter

#51Project MayhemPosted 5/25/2014 6:24:37 AM
Ok, as much as I love ragging on Nintendo a buddy of mine has one for his 4 year old and the control pad is fine. The kid plays it twice a week and there has never been any issues whatsoever. He does set ground rules though:

- He can only play when my friend is present.
- Game pad is always at the sofa. If he needs to go get a drink or go to the bathroom or whatever, the game pad does not get to leave the sofa.
- Even though he has a screen protector on it the kid has to wash his hands before he plays it.
- No food or drinks are allowed on or near the sofa when the Wii U is on (Game pad is on the sofa).
- All game changes or handling or system handling is by my friend only.
- If my friend isn't present the Wii U stays off and cannot be touched.

It sounds strict but a 4 or 5 year old won't understand it's being strict. They'll just accept it as house rules and follow along because they they'll think playing games is an earned privilege and just want a chance to play.
---
People realizing forbes not writing articles on the WiiU suddenly means media sources like Time or NY Times automatically become illegitimate- CHAINMAILLEKID
#52AJKirchner88Posted 5/25/2014 6:30:50 AM
Wii U has been great for my 5 and 6 year old girls.

If you're planing on spending that kind of money on your daughter, Im pretty sure shes well behaved enough to not throw the Wii mote in a tantrum. Other than that, they hold up great. Screen Protector is a MUST. Children or not.

My girls love the Disney Infinity game. Its very pricey for what it is, but its they're favorite. They had some trouble at first since they cant read very well but they eventually caught on with help and now they can do it themselves. Look for the starter bundle used first is my advice if you think your daughter would like it. I spent a lot of money, only to find out there were two at my Media XChange. Like I said, my girls love it though, so it was worth it.

As other have said New Super Mario Bros U, DK Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Pikimin are all great. And amen to Dora and MLP driving you insane.
#53huyiPosted 5/25/2014 6:34:01 AM(edited)
miroll posted...
Whoa that was a lot of fast and great replies :)

i've been looking at the bundle pack and it seems like the perfect choice actually.
And if it so happens i could allways get the Zelda game so i can get some fun with the machine as well ;P.

About her breaking the gamepad: She usually play games on my tablet and there has never been any other problems than some creasy fingers so i'm not all that worried about the gamepad as it looks pretty sturdy.

She is generally pretty relaxed, and the only tantrums i've ever seen her pull is the ''i dont wanna go to bed'' crazyness now and then.

That there is a netflix app is great as well, as it Means that she can Watch her ''my Little pony'' and ''dora'' and so on, in her room now and then since that can litterly make a grown man CRAZY! :P

About the wii games tho ( I like that it can play those) i will need a Wii mote (?) to play those right?

Thank you for all the help :)

You should have fun buying her a wii u because it's local mp friendly, should get lots of fun play mario kart with your daughter, yeah you will need a wiimote, a pro controller is good too, buy the pro controller for yourself and give the wiimote to your daughter to play aswell.

The wii u is also backwards compatible with wii games so you can buy a couple of used wii games for her to play.

Also as has been previously suggested update the console and update the games, you don't want to end up like this on her birthday;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUFe5LpffHs
---
UK Female Gamer
AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD7750 8GB RAM 2TB HDD You don't have to buy it, it's optional m'kay.
#54HayashiTakaraPosted 5/25/2014 7:23:01 AM
I dunno if the hands of a 6 yr old can hold the game pad.
#55FRo3tBLo0dPosted 5/25/2014 7:35:33 AM
Nikra posted...
A 5 year old child handling the Wii U Gamepad: It's a disaster waiting to happen: You do know that if the gamepad is destroyed (And it will happen), You can throw the console in the garbage too.
Just a friendly advise.

I'm pretty sure the Wii U has a xbox style controller. Just get one of those, problem solved. If it works on most games which I don't see why it wouldn't.
#56DragonAtmaPosted 5/25/2014 7:41:36 AM
Miroll, do you have any older consoles? If so, I recommend starting on them (and gradually building them up to newer consoles) for four reasons:

(1) Older consoles and controllers tend to be harder to break -- and, as many posters pointed out, even the best-behaved six-year-olds WILL have the occasional tantrum.
(2) If they DO wind up breaking an older controller, it'll be cheaper to replace them than the WiiU gamepad. A quick google search shows that despite the NES being very obsolete (even its SUCCESSOR came out over twenty years ago!), you can get a replacement NES controller for under $10. No way you can do that with the WiiU gamepad!
(3) If you upgrade them one console each year, by the time they catch up they'll be 10 or 11 years old -- and, by then, much less likely (if at all) to tantrum.
(4) Many old games are awesome. If someone starts on a modern console, then they'll dismiss games like Chrono Trigger. But if they start on the NES and gradually work their way forward, they'll remember the older games and consider at least some of them to be good games.
---
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?
#57ganondorf77Posted 5/25/2014 8:04:16 AM
In Europe you get a 2 year warranty period in which you get free fix service, no matter how many fixes you need. Isn't it as I say in USA?, Don't you get warranties or something similar?

By the way, it's not that easy to break, and girls are a lot more cautious than boys, even if they have ADHD and cannot stop a single second without running and jumping (Personal experience)... whatever. Nintendo is the most family friendly console-games company. For sure DS and 3DS are a lot easier to break and I never heard of massive sues or anything like that about those.
#58MaxStar360Posted 5/25/2014 8:06:39 AM
ganondorf77 posted...
In Europe you get a 2 year warranty period in which you get free fix service, no matter how many fixes you need. Isn't it as I say in USA?, Don't you get warranties or something similar?

By the way, it's not that easy to break, and girls are a lot more cautious than boys, even if they have ADHD and cannot stop a single second without running and jumping (Personal experience)... whatever. Nintendo is the most family friendly console-games company. For sure DS and 3DS are a lot easier to break and I never heard of massive sues or anything like that about those.

The only bloody point we were making was we didn't know anything about the girl's behaviour so it was too early to call.
---
Smile no smile. See if they see what you mean. -Suzanne Vega
#59LuigiisTeepeePosted 5/25/2014 8:07:01 AM
My 5 year-old daughter handles the gamepad and her iPad just fine. *shrug*
---
Not changing this signature until Todd Chrisley hosts Monday Night Raw
Started 5/12/2014
#60MaxStar360Posted 5/25/2014 8:09:37 AM
LuigiisTeepee posted...
My 5 year-old daughter handles the gamepad and her iPad just fine. *shrug*

*exasperated sigh* yes because she is well behaved TC never gave that info
---