Thinking about getting one for my daughter

#61LMwest09Posted 5/25/2014 8:36:22 AM
MaxStar360 posted...
Nikra posted...
A 5 year old child handling the Wii U Gamepad: It's a disaster waiting to happen: You do know that if the gamepad is destroyed (And it will happen), You can throw the console in the garbage too.
Just a friendly advise.

This. Hate to say it but it is the truth. You have been warned, sir.

Or be a responsible parent and teach your child to be responsible. My 5 yr old has had a 3DS since she was two and it works perfectly. I let her use the gamepad without supervision as long as I set up the game first. My daughter has never once broken anything because I took the time to instill that within her.

On topic, do as the other poster said with the MK8 bundle, that'd be your smartest move. Then any Nintendo developed game up to this point is a good bet, followed by the various LEGO titles. Pikmin 3 may be a little hard but could allow her to exercise more brain functions than Mario could. Rayman is also a relatively good option though it may be too hard in the later levels.

The Wii U also plays Wii games so if she has a handle on the Wii-mote, there is a wealth of titles she could enjoy. My daughter enjoys the Kirby titles and NSMBWii specifically.
#62miroll(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2014 8:50:22 AM
Man this just keeps going :)

Project Mayhem<--- Its good to have ground rules for it, and that is definetly (spelling board?) the idea.

DragonAtma<--- We played some PS2 for a while last month but she wasnt really that entertained. But the Mario story just keeps coming from her and we've been watching gameplay from mario games and skylanders on youtube today and she went crazy about it :P

huyi<--- Seems like there is a lot of fun local MP games for us to play indeed, which is a part of my reasoning for wanting to buy her one.

ganondorf77<-- dont know where in Europe you live, but here in Denmark its only if its the machine making trouble. If the consumer is to blame there is no warrenty covering it unless you paid extra for it.

MaxStar360<--- if you read one of my earlier replies, you'd have seen that she is relaxed and well behaved :)

LMwest09
Or be a responsible parent and teach your child to be responsible

Exactly. and she's is handling my tablet just fine.
---
English is not my first langauge.
Deal with it
#63MaxStar360Posted 5/25/2014 8:50:35 AM
LMwest09 posted...
MaxStar360 posted...
Nikra posted...
A 5 year old child handling the Wii U Gamepad: It's a disaster waiting to happen: You do know that if the gamepad is destroyed (And it will happen), You can throw the console in the garbage too.
Just a friendly advise.

This. Hate to say it but it is the truth. You have been warned, sir.

Or be a responsible parent and teach your child to be responsible. My 5 yr old has had a 3DS since she was two and it works perfectly. I let her use the gamepad without supervision as long as I set up the game first. My daughter has never once broken anything because I took the time to instill that within her.

On topic, do as the other poster said with the MK8 bundle, that'd be your smartest move. Then any Nintendo developed game up to this point is a good bet, followed by the various LEGO titles. Pikmin 3 may be a little hard but could allow her to exercise more brain functions than Mario could. Rayman is also a relatively good option though it may be too hard in the later levels.

The Wii U also plays Wii games so if she has a handle on the Wii-mote, there is a wealth of titles she could enjoy. My daughter enjoys the Kirby titles and NSMBWii specifically.

Again, good for you. Stop quoting posts that were made WITHOUT knowledge of her behaviour. Sheesh, some people like to jump down people's throat...
---
Smile no smile. See if they see what you mean. -Suzanne Vega
#64MaxStar360Posted 5/25/2014 8:53:59 AM
miroll posted...
Man this just keeps going :)

Project Mayhem<--- Its good to have ground rules for it, and that is definetly (spelling board?) the idea.

DragonAtma<--- We played some PS2 for a while last month but she wasnt really that entertained. But the Mario story just keeps coming from her and we've been watching gameplay from mario games and skylanders on youtube today and she went crazy about it :P

huyi<--- Seems like there is a lot of fun local MP games for us to play indeed, which is a part of my reasoning for wanting to buy her one.

ganondorf77<-- dont know where in Europe you live, but here in Denmark its only if its the machine making trouble. If the consumer is to blame there is no warrenty covering it unless you paid extra for it.

MaxStar360<--- if you read one of my earlier replies, you'd have seen that she is relaxed and well behaved :)

LMwest09
Or be a responsible parent and teach your child to be responsible

Exactly. and she's is handling my tablet just fine.

Yeah I know that mate good thing too! Now you can enjoy games together! But people keep bringing up our initial advice based on not enough info to attack or insult us. People like that need to learn to read.
---
#65SnowxNeverLeftPosted 5/25/2014 8:54:49 AM
Wait for Bayonetta 2 to be out if you really want to get her a Wii U.
#66Skatz95Posted 5/25/2014 8:59:47 AM
oh, I think you should have gotten her a 3ds instead, it's cheaper and has a better library of games. for the wii u, get her the refurbished one one from nintendo's online store as it costs $200.00
#67NettoSaitoPosted 5/25/2014 9:06:53 AM(edited)
I was playing NES games when I was 1 and a half years old, and them games were MUCH harder than most of what we see today. With that being said, any E rated game should be fine for her (although it depends on what you want her to see in games).

Anyway.... Check out

- Super Mario 3D World
- New Super Mario Bros U
- Mario Kart 8
- Nintendo Land
- Sonic Lost Worlds (as much as I personally hate it, she might like it)

Also on the Wii side you've got games like

- New Super Mario Bros Wii
- Mario Galaxy
- Mario Galaxy 2
- Kirby Epic Yarn (game is so easy, you can't even die in it lol, but it is still fun)
- Kirby Return to Dreamland
- Sonic Colors (Much better than Lost World, but still not a fan of it myself.)
- Mario Party 8

and many other games.

Basically if its Mario, Sonic, Kirby, or one of them "Wii ______" games, it should be fine. You could also look into The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD. It uses cell shaded graphics (so it looks like a cartoon), and its dungeons are pretty simple, so it should be ok for her. Yes there is some violence, but it isn't bad. Considering when I was younger, I was playing Zelda games which had darker themes, were harder, and had blood lol. Wind Waker really isn't bad at all.

Edit:

Also if you want to play games with her, the New Super Mario Bros games (Wii and U) as well as 3D World are co-op games. Both Kirby games are also co-op (and pretty easy), while most of the others have versus modes. There's no co-op in Zelda, but that's a great game to play through with someone. You could help her through it.
---
PSN/XBL/NN - NettoSaito | 3DS - [1203-9218-7780]
Netto's Game Room - News, Reviews, Lets Plays, and More - http://www.nettosgameroom.com
#68manmousePosted 5/25/2014 9:15:01 AM
xavierakane posted...
I remember being 5 years old and actually taking care of all my video games.
We should put faith that maybe not all 5 year old kids are monsters.

this. by age 6 i was the owner of an NES, Genesis, Game Gear, and maybe a year later a 32X. and i was afraid to break anything because i liked it all so much. kids aren't mindless, they actually think about things. i can't ever remember even tossing a controller, not once. hell, from age 3 til today i'm really having trouble thinking of a single time i broke a piece of gaming hardware.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#69MaxStar360Posted 5/25/2014 9:16:52 AM
manmouse posted...
xavierakane posted...
I remember being 5 years old and actually taking care of all my video games.
We should put faith that maybe not all 5 year old kids are monsters.

this. by age 6 i was the owner of an NES, Genesis, Game Gear, and maybe a year later a 32X. and i was afraid to break anything because i liked it all so much. kids aren't mindless, they actually think about things. i can't ever remember even tossing a controller, not once. hell, from age 3 til today i'm really having trouble thinking of a single time i broke a piece of gaming hardware.

TANTRUMS. God, I am just making the same point again and again while people just jump in here to mindlessly criticize us.
---
#70NukleenPosted 5/25/2014 9:24:41 AM
miroll posted...
Hi Nintendo people.

So my 5 year old...

Nikra posted...
A 5 year old child handling the Wii U Gamepad: It's a disaster waiting to happen.

You could consider getting but only allow her to use the cheaper controllers such as the WiiMotes and the 'Pro controller' rather than the expensive tablet-like controller.

The gamepad might be a little big for someone her age anyways.
---
no.