so If I do a Wii - > WiiU date transfer...*confused*

#1Metroid_LoverPosted 6/4/2014 4:41:08 PM
I can play all my games on my Wii U in the 'Wii mode' exactly as if was on my Wii?
Any cons/downsides I should be aware of?

What about my virtual games, are they transferred also, all of them?

I play my gamecube games on my (still working) game cube, since I only use my Wii to play VC games and Wii games, I use the classic controller a lot and the Wii controllers.

But from what I understand, I have to get/buy a different 'classic controller' (called a ‘pro controller'?) (~$49.99 last I looked) to play my NES/SNES games on my WiiU, right?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand, from what I read on-line and other topics that are created, I'm still confused on this.

Thanks in advance!
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."
#2megamachopopPosted 6/4/2014 4:45:28 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...
I can play all my games on my Wii U in the 'Wii mode' exactly as if was on my Wii?
Any cons/downsides I should be aware of?

You'll lose any friend lists in games you had (as there's no more FC). Not a huge issue though with no more Wi-Fi with most games. But besides that, you'll have all your files for all your games intact.

What about my virtual games, are they transferred also, all of them?

Yep, but unfortunately you'll have to redownload all of them, as well as any DLC.

I play my gamecube games on my (still working) game cube, since I only use my Wii to play VC games and Wii games, I use the classic controller a lot and the Wii controllers.

But from what I understand, I have to get/buy a different 'classic controller' (called a ‘pro controller'?) (~$49.99 last I looked) to play my NES/SNES games on my WiiU, right?

No. Classic Controllers still work for everything VC related, and even work for some Wii U games (just make sure to check the box or info on the Eshop).

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand, from what I read on-line and other topics that are created, I'm still confused on this.

Thanks in advance!
#3Dannyson97Posted 6/4/2014 4:48:09 PM
All your Wii games will work and look the same though you can't play them a GameCube controller.
Your VC games and Wii saves will also be transferred including VC saves.
Also the Wii and Wii U have seperate Virtual consoles. But the Wii U one can be played with classic controllers, Wii Motes, Gamepad, and Pro-controller. So no worries there.
Have fun!
---
I'm a Christian and proud!
You have to reach for the stars to live and learn only then can you attain endless possibilities, and show them what your made of.
#4AdamOusleyPosted 6/4/2014 4:48:43 PM
The only downside is that you can't use a gamecube controller for your virtual console games anymore. However that might be fixed soon, with the adapter coming out.
#5Blacknite08Posted 6/4/2014 4:55:07 PM
But what about the Donkey Kong Country games that were taken off of the Wii shop? If I transfer my Wii data over does that mean I won't be able to re-download them?
---
I need to change my sig
#6megamachopopPosted 6/4/2014 5:00:48 PM
Blacknite08 posted...
But what about the Donkey Kong Country games that were taken off of the Wii shop? If I transfer my Wii data over does that mean I won't be able to re-download them?

I got my Wii U at launch, and not long after did the Wii to Wii U transfer. I was still able to redownload DKC 2, but I'm not exactly sure when they were taken down.
#7mario mastaPosted 6/4/2014 5:05:29 PM
So could I hypothetically transfer my Brawl save from my Wii to an SD card, move all my Wii stuff over to Wii U, then reupload my Brawl data from the SD card to the original Wii? I don't want to lose my Brawl data, and I want to be able to use GC controllers.
---
...I guess...
#8megamachopopPosted 6/4/2014 5:08:19 PM
mario masta posted...
So could I hypothetically transfer my Brawl save from my Wii to an SD card, move all my Wii stuff over to Wii U, then reupload my Brawl data from the SD card to the original Wii? I don't want to lose my Brawl data, and I want to be able to use GC controllers.

No game with Wi-Fi features can have their save file moved to an SD card without modding. So unfortunately it's not as easy as you'd like it to be. Although Nintendo is releasing a GC controller adapter soon so hopefully it's compatible in Wii Mode.
#9mario mastaPosted 6/4/2014 5:11:22 PM
Dang. I guess I'll just keep using my Wii as a Wii then. There's no real reason to transfer everything other than convenience I suppose.
---
...I guess...
#10Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2014 9:13:48 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the transfer/information, I'm still not sure if I want to do the transfer or not, but good information on what happens if I decide to.

So once I do the data transfer, it's more like a '...I de-authorizing this device to play these VC games I paid for and put on this device, and authorizing this new device to play them instead…” then a saved game/data transfer, did I get/understand this about right?
I heard once you do it, you can’t undo it, I guess that makes sense or sorts.

AdamOusley posted...
The only downside is that you can't use a gamecube controller for your virtual console games anymore. However that might be fixed soon, with the adapter coming out.

Well, I've never used a gamecube controller on my Wii to play VC games, I‘ve always used the classic controller or the Wii remote to play my VC games.

*I must be the only one that does this. I've played one or two gamecube games on my Wii, but always ended up getting my gamecube out and playing that game on that system every time.*

Good to know about the adapter ;)
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."