so If I do a Wii - > WiiU date transfer...*confused*

#21VoxwikPosted 6/7/2014 7:29:08 PM
megamachopop posted...
No game with Wi-Fi features can have their save file moved to an SD card without modding

It's already been addressed but I figure I'd quote it in case anyone missed it in the discussion: the transfer does do the saves since it erases them from the system and prevents copy back.
#22Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2014 12:17:47 PM
Ok was going to do the transfer but read about a problem with Lost Winds, you couldn’t transfer that game at all for some reason.

I then read that there was a patch to fix this, I just need to launch the game and download patch, and then Lost Winds can be transferred without any trouble.

BUT now I read something about having to pay a small fee $1 or so for each VC game I own that I want to put on my Wii U?!?!

Can someone help me understand this confusion?

I thought the transfer was free?
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."
#23NendreelPosted 6/8/2014 12:32:29 PM
The transfer is free.
Some VC games can be upgraded to run in WiiU mode (you can then use the Gamepad and use restore points, etc.) This upgrade usually costs $1/$1.50.

If you don't want to upgrade then the games will run normally in Wii mode, using the various Wii remotes (no Gamepad)
#24Thunderbird8Posted 6/8/2014 12:39:39 PM
Lost Winds was originally untransferable (being unavailable on the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii U), though I hear that has been rectified recently. I don't have it, so I can't comment.
#25Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2014 4:36:44 PM
Ok, I'm in the process of doing the data transfer, but I ran into a small problem.

Not all my VC games are on my Wii currently, I had to move them to a 8GB SD card, so only a few were on my Wii to play since the Wii memory was getting full.

Since I can't copy all my VC games to my Wii before I do the transfer, will I still be able to transfer/play them on my WiiU unit?
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."
#26megamachopopPosted 6/9/2014 4:59:47 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...
Ok, I'm in the process of doing the data transfer, but I ran into a small problem.

Not all my VC games are on my Wii currently, I had to move them to a 8GB SD card, so only a few were on my Wii to play since the Wii memory was getting full.

Since I can't copy all my VC games to my Wii before I do the transfer, will I still be able to transfer/play them on my WiiU unit?

This has already been answered. Yes, because your Wii Shop account and licenses are transferred also. Like I said before, if you had stuff on your SD card(s) they'll need to be redownloaded after the transfer.
#27Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2014 5:48:31 PM
@ megamachopop:
Ok, sorry I was a little worried, I'm watching the video of my stuff being transferred now, a Nintendo touch it is ;)

My 'points' I still have on my Wii will be transferred/converted into $ I'm guessing to be used in the eShop for my Wii/WiiU, that's good ;)
---
#28megamachopopPosted 6/9/2014 5:55:02 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...
@ megamachopop:
Ok, sorry I was a little worried, I'm watching the video of my stuff being transferred now, a Nintendo touch it is ;)

My 'points' I still have on my Wii will be transferred/converted into $ I'm guessing to be used in the eShop for my Wii/WiiU, that's good ;)

Points for the Wii and Wii U are completely separate. If you had any left, they'll only be useable on the Wii Shop.
#29Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2014 8:06:24 PM
Yep, my points transferred over.
A quick question on that, is the Wii shop channel just not getting any more updates/games now, but you can add points, and buy/download games on the WiiU in Wii mode?

Also...Finished!

I did get an error once during the transfer to the WiiU system from the SD card, about 30 seconds into it.

Something about couldn't connect to net, but it was.
I was REALLY worried, read a few horror stories about others having issues, but after hitting 'try again' all went with no other troubles ;)

VERY slow from SD card to WiiU, but VERY fast from Wii to SD card, o well, all is good ;)

Thank you everyone that helped me with my confusion and being patient with me;)

The directs I find how to do this don't really say this, but good info to anyone else.
- When you download the 'transfer data app/channel' both times, save to the Wii memory NOT SD card memory and then launch the app/channel first on the WiiU (in Wii mode) then on the Wii itself, then again on the WiiU in 'Wii mode'.

Hope this article/post helps someone else, and thanks to you all again!
*goes back to playing Chew Man Fu, love this game*
---